Credit Card Fraud...
Feb 28, 2008 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a call last night from Citi's fraud prevention unit. Someone was trying to make (or apparently had made) a $3.75 charge on some Asian airline. I refused the charge, and we immediately canceled the account, even to the point of changing my password information. Cool, right? Well, I get home from work today and there was a message from dbuys.com, stating that a charge for a digital camera had been declined. After I informed her that the card had been canceled due to fraudulent charges, she canceled the order. She also gave me the shipping address
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

The address is in Suffolk County. I looked up the address in Google Earth, and it's a residential neighborhood. I also noted that a house just up the street was selling for $269,000. (Amazing what you can find in just a few minutes - kinda scary, actually.) So, tomorrow I shall be calling the Suffolk County PD to report this person. I'm feeling vindictive, it's been a while since I've really gotten even with someone (legally, anyway). The PD also has an email addy for identity theft, so I'll send that along to them as well.

Interestingly enough, I just used that card online Saturday to buy a new LCD monitor, from a web site I had never dealt with, but had good reseller ratings. The charge was billed Monday. The fraudulent charges started Wednesday. Of course, I pretty much use this card only for online purchases, so I suppose it could have been from plenty of places.

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 23
You should have let a few charges go through. I don't think the local PD will do much for 3 bucks.

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have let a few charges go through. I don't think the local PD will do much for 3 bucks.

The fraud I'm taking about is trying to buy a digital camera with the canceled credit card. I think the $3 charge was a "test".

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fraud I'm taking about is trying to buy a digital camera with the canceled credit card. I think the $3 charge was a "test".

You better hope he doesn't read Head-Fi
eek.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darn, I guess that order for UE11's isn't going to go through then.
evil_smiley.gif

No worries, before I sent the info your way I ordered a couple pairs myself, 50% discount sound reasonable?

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 23
Haven't had this experience with credit cards (and hopefully never) but I know my bank takes very good precaution against this same thing. Once I made an international fund transfer (the first time I did it with that particular bank account and to Germany), and within 5-10 minutes of my clicking the send button, the bank called me directly to check the authenticity of that transaction. I was impressed, to say the least!

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 23
Yes, file a case on him at his local police department.
Hopefully he get what he asked for.

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 23
Banks have gotten pretty good about this. They call me every time I make a charge to headroom. I guess that's a popular place for identity thieves to buy things.

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

I got a call last night from Citi's fraud prevention unit.

If you have a Citi card, you should always use Virtual Account Numbers when making online purchases. There's no reason not to, unless you're dealing with a merchant who makes you set up an account and then stores your cc number, in which case you better make sure it's a reliable merchant who you trust.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 23
Similar thing happened to me when I left my credit card at a restaurant. The bus boy gave it to a friend who charged cigarettes and 2 movie tickets and returned it. The next day I got a call from Citibank and the police. Fortunately Citibank goes after small fraudulent charges. Some banks won't go after someone until they go over $1000, or more. Local police usually won't do anything unless the bank is willing to go along, since the bank is who is the only one financially harmed.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #15 of 23
Lean on the County DA to prosecute. The police take reports and make arrests, but they are not the ones who file charges. Remember that if you get arrested - if the police try to "cut a deal" for a confession, ask when the DA will show up to formalize it.

Anyway, this is an election year and the DA might be running this time. If they don't prosecute, threaten to talk to the rival campaign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back