Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #3,168 of 3,608
what op-amps are recommended to switch out from? I heard people had issue with sparkos. Is It true? What model sparkos did they switch out to?
We've had one report so far iirc, so far people who bought them (myself included) are all pretty happy.

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #3,172 of 3,608
New firmware installed. Hoped for better usb 3.0 handling, but it looks like I still have occasional cracks and pops when not in direct mode (using Linux). According to its filename, this firmware is more than 6 months old... and it brings only one fix.
So there's no need to upgrade unless you have windows driver issues.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #3,173 of 3,608
New firmware installed. Hoped for better usb 3.0 handling, but it looks like I stiff have occasional cracks and pops when not in direct mode (using Linux). According to its filename, this firmware is more than 6 months old... and it brings only one fix.
So there's no need to upgrade unless you have windows driver issues.
Thanks brazzmonkey. I too get those occasional cracks when not in direct mode. Not really any issues connecting to windows 10 so I probably wont bother.
I wish they would update the actual software from 2016. Recently I just have windows 10 use its usb driver(which is newer) and just control the X7 from the very good android app.
If anything I have had trouble from their old software suite on windows 10, hence the above.

But since you are using Linux and only get the occasional cracks when not in direct mode, just like me in win 10, pretty much follows it is a hardware issue not likely to ever get fixed by firmware

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #3,176 of 3,608
Happily owned the x7 now for a couple of years.
Find myself not using vss much as I don’t play competitively or need it for music etc.
Thinking of swapping the x7 for a Schiit Magni and Modi 3. Anyone have experience of that upgrade route?
And would it even be that much of an upgrade?

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #3,177 of 3,608
Does anybody experience a short high frequency screech sometimes when using toslink and the output changes from PCM to Dolby Digital?

Also I plan to start leaving the X7 on all the time as it goes into power saving mode after some time when not being used, is this okay?

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #3,178 of 3,608
Happily owned the x7 now for a couple of years.
Find myself not using vss much as I don’t play competitively or need it for music etc.
Thinking of swapping the x7 for a Schiit Magni and Modi 3. Anyone have experience of that upgrade route?
And would it even be that much of an upgrade?

I don't see the point in this. The X7 is powerful enough to drive all consumer headphones and it has a transparent DAC. The Modi 3 is transparent as wel. I doubt there will be any noticeable difference, but you are loosing out on a lot of features.

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #3,179 of 3,608
Has anybody found a way to FORCE set Creative X7 default volume/playback/mixer settings?

For some reason my X7 resets all settings to 100% (volume, each input channel, each output channel) in the mixer every time I restart my Windows.

It gets very annoying manualy resetting al the settings to their proper settings.

I have re-installed the drivers (clean) and I have the latest (Feb 2019) firmware installed

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #3,180 of 3,608
Does anybody experience a short high frequency screech sometimes when using toslink and the output changes from PCM to Dolby Digital?

Also I plan to start leaving the X7 on all the time as it goes into power saving mode after some time when not being used, is this okay?
The X7 does that. I just turn the volume down on the amp when I'm turning on my PS4.

My X7 has been continuously on for at least a year by now and it's working fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back