Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jun 26, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2,581 of 3,608
Long time owner here. Recently noticed that playing via my PS4 Pro, I'll get static in the background (only when gaming, not during video). Issue is rectified by rebooting and/or unplugging optical cable and plugging back in. Not sure what the possible cause would be, but I have no issue using the X7 via HDMI audio extractor with my Nintendo Switch nor with my Chromecast audio. I'm also using the HDMI extractor on the PS4 pro, even through it has a direct optical out. Simpler set up with one less cable.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,582 of 3,608
What settings do people typically use for the X7 on a PC when using it primarily for gaming? Is the "Surround Sound" feature worth turning on and enabling for gaming on a desktop if you have good headphones or is it better to just use things as is? I know some people seem to be super against software surround sound and some swear by it, but I wasn't sure if it works differently in the X7 or one setting is recommended over another?

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2,583 of 3,608
hey guys im using the X7 on the ps4 with the Philips X2. When i watch netflix movies the sound seems really low even at max volume on low gain. I already have all the settings correct on the PS4 Optical, Bit Stream Dolby. What settings should i tweak in the x7 software to get optimum sound because this is ridiculous.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #2,584 of 3,608
hey guys im using the X7 on the ps4 with the Philips X2. When i watch netflix movies the sound seems really low even at max volume on low gain. I already have all the settings correct on the PS4 Optical, Bit Stream Dolby. What settings should i tweak in the x7 software to get optimum sound because this is ridiculous.

maybe it has something to do with the netflix player's volume is too low ?

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #2,585 of 3,608
maybe it has something to do with the netflix player's volume is too low ?

ya i said the same thing but u can't adjust the volume of the netflix player on the ps4. I've already tried nor can you adjust the volume in general on the ps4 when im connected via Optical/bit stream. Game volume seems to be fine, but netflix volume is way too low ><

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #2,586 of 3,608
ya i said the same thing but u can't adjust the volume of the netflix player on the ps4. I've already tried nor can you adjust the volume in general on the ps4 when im connected via Optical/bit stream. Game volume seems to be fine, but netflix volume is way too low ><

If anyone Knows how to adjust the volume on the Netflix Player on the ps4, i would highly appreciate it if someone tell me how too.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #2,589 of 3,608
Just noticed this thread. If anyone has problems, it could be due to the Windows 10 "CREATIVE MEDIA" software driver update.

On Skype, low volume and muffled sound. If switching to another output like the computer monitor, it's fine.

Note: Not using this specific model, but Soundblaster in general...

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #2,590 of 3,608
I set the creative X7 Dynamic Range control for DD to Night Mode which brought out the sound a lot more. It sounds a lot better on this setting. If anyone is using the X7 with Dolby Bitstream on the ps4 I highly recommend night mode it sounds great with SBX :D

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #2,591 of 3,608
It's been asked before, but I'd like to know what you guys think now. I have the E5 and I'm looking for a desktop set-up (I need RCA outputs for my active speakers).
To those of you who owns/owned both the E5 and the X7, is it worth the investment or I'm better off looking for something else (in this price range)?

Among various headphones, I have the K712 and I'm not sure the E5 is driving them to their full potential.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,592 of 3,608
It's been asked before, but I'd like to know what you guys think now. I have the E5 and I'm looking for a desktop set-up (I need RCA outputs for my active speakers).
To those of you who owns/owned both the E5 and the X7, is it worth the investment or I'm better off looking for something else (in this price range)?

Among various headphones, I have the K712 and I'm not sure the E5 is driving them to their full potential.
You can plug the active speakers directly into the E5. Or plug another headphone amp into it. Or a DAC and an amp. Frankly, if you're not running 5.1 speakers or passives it is not worth upgrading over to the X7. That money will be better spent on a headphone amp with preamp outs so you can plug the active speakers into the amp and use the E5 as DSP/DAC.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #2,593 of 3,608
You can plug the active speakers directly into the E5.
That's what I'm doing now, but I need a device that isn't battery powered as my desktop set-up.
Buying a separate amp is an option I'm considering.

Anyway, thanks for your reply. As you guessed, I'm not interested in some of the functionalities that the X7 offers.

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #2,594 of 3,608
I am getting an x7 shortly. I was wondering about the usb connectivity to pc. is usb 2.0 still the recommended port, or is usb3.0 ok.

If usb 2.0 I would probably need to get a separate usb 2.0 usb pci-e as I have no 2.0 ports.

Thank you in advance any advice greatly appreciated!

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #2,595 of 3,608
I am getting an x7 shortly. I was wondering about the usb connectivity to pc. is usb 2.0 still the recommended port, or is usb3.0 ok.

If usb 2.0 I would probably need to get a separate usb 2.0 usb pci-e as I have no 2.0 ports.

Thank you in advance any advice greatly appreciated!
No difference. USB 3.0 will operate in USB 2.0 mode when USB 2.0 device is connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back