Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Nov 29, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2,056 of 3,608
The power adapter can be purchased separately.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,057 of 3,608

I don't have the regular X7, but the X7 LE runs my RBH R5Bis beautifully. The speakers get clean power allowing them to have their full breadth of sound without worrying about distortion. That being said, I've never cranked the volume up to 100 because it might kill me so I don't know how far I can push the X7 LE.

With regards to the color, my setup is actually black and silver so I enjoy the splash of color, but I can always skin it if the white gets too bothersome. The only issue you have is the power adapter, have you asked Creative if you can purchase the LE power adapter? 

Thanks for replying.. I have gone for the X7 LE, and will incorporate the white color in my set-up.. Have you tried it with any of these three headphones? If so then please let me know as I am meaning to get me one of them..

- AKG K7XX
- Fidelio X2
- HE-400I

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #2,058 of 3,608
Thanks for replying.. I have gone for the X7 LE, and will incorporate the white color in my set-up.. Have you tried it with any of these three headphones? If so then please let me know as I am meaning to get me one of them..

- AKG K7XX
- Fidelio X2
- HE-400I

I use the standard x7 with the 400i. They sound really, really good. Much better than on my NAD D 3020 that was previously driving them. The x7 really opens them up.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #2,059 of 3,608
Select Dolby Digital when using a console at all times.

Thanks Yethal. On PC does it matter? Windows sees my TV as 2 channel despite it being capable of 5.1 passthrough, so I am unable to set the sound as anything other than stereo out via HDMI. On YouTube tests I can hear 5 channels though.

BTW thanks for all your posts in this thread, they were a great help when I was trying to decide on this purchase!

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #2,060 of 3,608

- AKG K7XX
- Fidelio X2
- HE-400I

I have not, but illram shared his experience with the 400i a post above. I currently use an HD598, and I placed an order for the HD6xx, but I have no experience with the cans you listed.

Speaking of, does anyone have any recommendations for closed back headphones that pair well with the X7? I want to stay near the cost of the HD6xx if possible.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #2,061 of 3,608
I have not, but illram shared his experience with the 400i a post above. I currently use an HD598, and I placed an order for the HD6xx, but I have no experience with the cans you listed.

Speaking of, does anyone have any recommendations for closed back headphones that pair well with the X7? I want to stay near the cost of the HD6xx if possible.

Fostex TH-X00?

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #2,063 of 3,608
Thanks Yethal. On PC does it matter? Windows sees my TV as 2 channel despite it being capable of 5.1 passthrough, so I am unable to set the sound as anything other than stereo out via HDMI. On YouTube tests I can hear 5 channels though.

BTW thanks for all your posts in this thread, they were a great help when I was trying to decide on this purchase!

If connected via USB it doesn't matter since Dolby Digital is an S/PDIF only standard. Plug the X7 via USB for full 5.1 support on PC.

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,065 of 3,608
Hey guys, so I've just replaced SB ZxR with X7 and it's pretty amazing so far. I would also subjectively say, that X7 sound a bit better than ZxR and overall, it's a nice piece of kit.

However, I have one small issue that I would like to discuss;

X7 Control Panel in Windows 10 is freezing on me and sound stops playing at that point. It usually happens, when I'm manipulating with Speakers section and changing stuff like Speaker Configuration (Front L/R - Full Range, clicking on Subwoofer option, etc.) if I click on Full Range for example, the control panel freezes and sound stops. I have to force application to quit and restart the app, then it works again.
Anyone had the same issue and resolved it?

Please note, that I do not have any other soundcard in my PC, integrated one is disabled and any other sound driver is uninstalled also.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,068 of 3,608
So what would be the op amps to go for? Really just want to get the best sound possible. Looks like the Sparkos SS3601s would be the best option, but curious what others have found. What are you using?

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #2,069 of 3,608
So what would be the op amps to go for? Really just want to get the best sound possible. Looks like the Sparkos SS3601s would be the best option, but curious what others have found. What are you using?

Aside from the SS3601 I've also tried Burson V5i. A bit different sound signature but You may like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back