Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Dec 7, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #2,086 of 3,608
Yeah I hope I can order the Bursons very soon. Maybe if I order all 4 at once they will cut me a deal. I'll email him to see when I can afford them. Shouldn't be long I hope. Long story why I am not spending any money at the moment. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #2,087 of 3,608
Does anyone have 5.1 through optical with the X7 working?

I have a JVC TH-G30 5.1 sound system with DTS/Dolby, one of the primary reasons I bought the X7 was to be able to have an all-in-one solution for headphones, 5.1 on PC and upgrading my PS4 sound.

So far, I just get sound out of the left and right speakers, as well as the subwoofer. I can turn on "MTRX" but that just gives the same sound through all speakers.

If anyone has some ideas, I'd be most thankful, this is driving me crazy. I'm un-sure if HDMI to my mobo through RealTek would work either, don't have an open hdmi currently.

Other than that, loving the X7.

Use the 5.1 analog outputs on the X7 instead of the toslink out. Much less hassle.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #2,088 of 3,608
Use the 5.1 analog outputs on the X7 instead of the toslink out. Much less hassle.

It only has left and right rca plugins on the rear of the receiver aside from component video, toslink and hdmi. From what I thought rca like that would only be 2 channel unless I'm mistaken?
Really trying to figure this out cause I love the sound system, heard a buddies logitech z906 I believe it was called and I really don't want to downgrade like that.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #2,089 of 3,608
Yethal was referring to connecting the three 3.5mm outputs on the back (labeled FRONT, CENTER/SUB, and REAR) to analog inputs on your JVC speaker amp. There may be a way to encode Dolby or DTS output for the optical out on the X7's back, but you would need software like Poweramp or Foobar plug-ins to encode the audio as a Dolby or DTS signal because the X7 itself doesn't have the license to ENCODE things into Dolby/DTS.

The X7 can DECODE Dolby input, but it can't ENCODE Dolby or DTS on it's own. I don't know how, because I don't use it that way. If I was you I would start by looking up the two programs I mentioned or using google to search for "Dolby encoding software"

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #2,090 of 3,608
Yethal was referring to connecting the three 3.5mm outputs on the back (labeled FRONT, CENTER/SUB, and REAR) to analog inputs on your JVC speaker amp. There may be a way to encode Dolby or DTS output for the optical out on the X7's back, but you would need software like Poweramp or Foobar plug-ins to encode the audio as a Dolby or DTS signal because the X7 itself doesn't have the license to ENCODE things into Dolby/DTS.

The X7 can DECODE Dolby input, but it can't ENCODE Dolby or DTS on it's own. I don't know how, because I don't use it that way. If I was you I would start by looking up the two programs I mentioned or using google to search for "Dolby encoding software"

I figured so, I couldn't use Y splitters from the rca connections of my receiver to those inputs could I?

Sounds great thank you, I'll look into that!

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #2,091 of 3,608
I have my PC and PS4 connected to X7 altogether.

PC is connected via USB, PS4 via optical in.
Output to speaker system is via two RCA's on the back of X7, headphones connected from the front in headphone output.

Everything works perfectly, even Dolby decoding (Dolby icon on the front of X7 lights up).
I do not need to switch anything, it does everything automatically.

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #2,092 of 3,608
  I have my PC and PS4 connected to X7 altogether.

PC is connected via USB, PS4 via optical in.
Output to speaker system is via two RCA's on the back of X7, headphones connected from the front in headphone output.

Everything works perfectly, even Dolby decoding (Dolby icon on the front of X7 lights up).
I do not need to switch anything, it does everything automatically.

PC is outputting surround through the PC with RCA?
I have no problem with the PS4 outputting surround, it's just been amazing that getting the PC to do the same has been such a headache!

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #2,093 of 3,608
Hello friends this is my first post but I've been a lurker on here for years and have gained a lot of knowledge by reading and keeping my mouth shut. I recently decided to join up and be an active member of the community so I'll start with something that I have always been curious about...

I owned an X7 in the past about a year and a half ago and one of the features that always attracted me to this product is that you can play multiple inputs (spdif - Xbox one, USB - PC, Bluetooth - phone) all at the same time.

For obvious reasons this feature is huge for me since I like to game (who doesn't) and listen to music at the same time from my phone, YouTube, or Spotify and it's just so seemless and hassle free.

Since selling my X7 I instantly started missing it because other dac/amps do not have this feature instead they have a selectable input switch or button so you are limited to listen to one audio input at a time.

I just wanted to preface my question(s) with a little context so...

What exactly is that feature called?

What other dac/amp combos have this feature innately built in like the X7?

And finally...

Why don't other companies consider this a huge feature? To my knowledge the X7 is the only device that does this.

If you've made it this far thanks for reading and I look forward to learning and contributing more, thanks.

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #2,094 of 3,608
the x7 uses a multicore DSP called Axx1 that does all this mixing of streams, SBXing, prioritizing etc.., it's serving a whole other clientele (at first) than the usual dacs from Schiit, Chord, Vio etc - which target audiophiles/music enjoyment first and thus design accordingly with flexibility coming at second place. Different demographics.

You can't really fault either of them, it's simply another philosophy. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #2,095 of 3,608
  the x7 uses a multicore DSP called Axx1 that does all this mixing of streams, SBXing, prioritizing etc.., it's serving a whole other clientele (at first) than the usual dacs from Schiit, Chord, Vio etc - which target audiophiles/music enjoyment first and thus design accordingly with flexibility coming at second place. Different demographics.

You can't really fault either of them, it's simply another philosophy. 

Yeah that's understandable and totally welcomed. 

I was just a little confused as to why other audiophile centric companies don't add this feature. I know it's a different demographic but having features isn't a bad thing especially if it doesn't degrade the product. It's like not including an air conditioner in a vehicle sold in Alaska because it's always cold and/or won't be used. Having it there even though it won't be used still has it's benefits. It's even more baffling because some of these companies include multiple inputs and outputs catering to people's innate nature where they feel more features (multiple inputs, outputs, digitally balanced pot, headphone/powered monitor switch/button, etc) = better product. I know these features and "mixing chips" cost money to RnD and implement but  Creative Labs can't be the only company out there that can afford this. If the X7 didn't exist that feature wouldn't exist in the world of audiophiles.

My dream piece of kit would be the Objective2+Odac with spdif input with a mixing DSP in it that wouldn't degrade the product. It's a far fetched dream because of how the product is locked down but yeah looks like I will have to buy an X7 to get all those features in one device which isn't a bad thing just wish it was a common thing in audiophile grade devices. 

My analogy about vehicles not having air conditioners in Alaska was just an example for all I know they don't have ACs **shrugs**. 

Thanks again for your timely response very much appreciated. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #2,096 of 3,608
oh, but it changes the end product as noticed by a lot of guys in here. Direct Mode bypassing the Axx1 sounds different than going through it without having activated any features. Probably a rolloff due to some resampling the axx1 does. Some also like it. We do not know with what precision the Axx1 goes over the sound. There is a change to the sound and this is what many audiophiles try to avoid even when they don't understand what it actually does and if it's actually to the benefit of sound. They want "clear, clean" paths and an overall design with "least compromises" even though stuff like filtering DOES always happen (in DACs). It's a psychological game. Hopefully parts of the industry become more open minded.

I'm with you here, I want additional features as well for strong versatility and practical utility and I'd like to have a dac/hpa combo with hdmi in and support for binaural formats. Seems the Realiser A16 is the product many have been waiting for - unlike their wallet. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #2,097 of 3,608
PC is outputting surround through the PC with RCA?

Nope.
He just said, he the PC is connected via USB.
He uses other connections to then connect to a separate amp, and that to headphones.

I owned an X7 in the past about a year and a half ago and one of the features that always attracted me to this product is that you can play multiple inputs (spdif - Xbox one, USB - PC, Bluetooth - phone) all at the same time.

What exactly is that feature called?

What other dac/amp combos have this feature innately built in like the X7?

I think the best word for it is input mixing? Instead of input selecting? But yeah, it's a GREAT feature. Gaming (and movies?) is/are greatly complimented by music, but playing two music tracks at once sounds like a cacophony! So, it makes more sense to have input mixing for gaming or music production.

Besides the X7, Creative's little brother the sound blaster E5 has it too, Turtle Beach's two DSS units do, and I'm pretty sure Astro's Mixamps do as well. And there are professional music engineer mixers too that are used to playback separate vocal and instrument tracks, so you could always just buy a separate mixer...

I just can't let go of my X7.

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #2,098 of 3,608
  oh, but it changes the end product as noticed by a lot of guys in here. Direct Mode bypassing the Axx1 sounds different than going through it without having activated any features. Probably a rolloff due to some resampling the axx1 does. Some also like it. We do not know with what precision the Axx1 goes over the sound. There is a change to the sound and this is what many audiophiles try to avoid even when they don't understand what it actually does and if it's actually to the benefit of sound. They want "clear, clean" paths and an overall design with "least compromises" even though stuff like filtering DOES always happen (in DACs). It's a psychological game. Hopefully parts of the industry become more open minded.

I'm with you here, I want additional features as well for strong versatility and practical utility and I'd like to have a dac/hpa combo with hdmi in and support for binaural formats. Seems the Realiser A16 is the product many have been waiting for - unlike their wallet. 

Can you link, or explain some of these changes? I'm interested in testing it out myself. Whenever I activated Direct Mode, I could tell the difference vs Standard with all SBX features pushed to 0, but I later found it to be a difference in volume.

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #2,099 of 3,608
Always remember to check the orientation of the op-amp before putting it in an amp!

My NJM2114D just died due to my carelessness. Luckily, the X7 survived unscathed.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #2,100 of 3,608
So I decided to treat myself to something nice as an early Christmas present and just ordered a used X7 off eBay for a steal of a price at $260. I am new at this "op-amp" replacement thing so what do you guys recommend for replacement of the stock op amps? I have read through a good part of this thread already but 140 pages is a daunting task for anyone but if I have to I will since my X7 gets here on Monday. 

Before someone asks, because someone always will and for good reason, I will be using the X7's for mostly gaming on my Xbox One and light music and movie listening experiences but mostly gaming (Halo 5, Battlefield, COD, etc). Is there an op amp that provides a superior listening experience compared to the stock ones or are the stock op amps plenty and more than enough. I am super excited to finally have this piece of kit again.

I have been using Astro A40 TR's for the past year and don't get me wrong they are nice and totally overkill even for the most determined gamer but nothing compared to my old setup which included HD600's. I know these are first world problems lol but just trying to get a little more educated overall on the products I buy. 

My current setup (by Monday of next week): <-- oxymoron I know :) 

Creative Sound Blaster X7
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (detachable cable modded myself) 
V-MODA Boom Mic Pro (great solution for party chat) 
Xbox One - using SPDIF 
MacBook Air - USB 
iPhone 6 - Bluetooth 

In the mean time I will be catching up on reading the remaining 130+ pages of this thread :)

Again the last week have been here myself I have learned a lot and will continue to and super appreciative of the responses to my questions, thanks guys.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back