Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Dec 19, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,116 of 3,608
Ok so I finally received my X7 back after a year and some change without it. The firmware update took a couple of times to fully complete itself on my MacBook Air which was a pain since I had to switch USB ports for the last 4th of the update after it claimed "the update has failed". Anyways I have a technical question but I will preface..

I currently have my Xbox One connected to the X7 through the Optical In (SPDIF). Everything is in order sound is coming into my headphones, bluetooth works and my MacBook Air plays sound fine...

My question is whenever I go into the Headphone section in the Sound Blaster X7 Control Panal on my laptop and click on "Direct Mode" or "Direct Mode (SPDIF-In)" sound cuts off from my Xbox One. 

Why is that? 

Also if the X7 can't play sound from the Xbox One when I have either "Direct Mode(s)" checked...what is that setting specifically made for? 

Direct Mode bypasses the mixer, only USB is active in Direct Mode. Use Direct Mode S/PDIF to hear the xbox audio.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,117 of 3,608
Direct Mode bypasses the mixer, only USB is active in Direct Mode. Use Direct Mode S/PDIF to hear thr xbox audio.

Yeah I understand that part...but when I click on either one the sound shuts off from the Xbox One. 

I click on "Direct Mode" sound shuts off. I unclick Direct Mode sound comes back.

I click "Direct Mode (SPDIF-In) sound shuts off again. I unclick "Direct Mode (SPDIF-In) sound comes back. 

I hardware reset the X7 once and to no avail. 

Edit: Every time I check the "Direct Mode" option in headphones I hear the relay click inside the X7 (which is normal I assume). 

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,118 of 3,608
Yeah I understand that part...but when I click on either one the sound shuts off from the Xbox One. 

I click on "Direct Mode" sound shuts off. I unclick Direct Mode sound comes back.

I click "Direct Mode (SPDIF-In) sound shuts off again. I unclick "Direct Mode (SPDIF-In) sound comes back. 

Edit: Every time I check the "Direct Mode" option in headphones I hear the relay click inside the X7 (which is normal I assume). 

I use direct mode and the click is normal. My buddy has an Xbox one with X7 (regular) and reports no such issue with DM on spdif.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2,119 of 3,608

Disable Dolby Digital. Direct Mode is for LPCM only.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #2,120 of 3,608
I use direct mode and the click is normal. My buddy has an Xbox one with X7 (regular) and reports no such issue with DM on spdif.

Thanks bud...got it to work on "Direct Mode SPDIF-In".

Disable Dolby Digital. Direct Mode is for LPCM only.

This did the trick! Got it to work!!! I learned something new today.

In the audio settings on my Xbox One instead of choosing "Dolby Digital" I had to choose "Stereo Uncompressed" and the "Direct Mode SPDIF-In" works like a charm.

Surprisingly "Direct Mode" and "Dolby Digital" sound eerily similar.

Thanks a bunch I was chatting with Creative Tech's support chat and they basically gave me the generic "restart your X7, unplug your Dac/Amp, hardware reset, etc" spiel which probably works for most people's problems. After 25 minutes of that I decided to ask my head-fi bros for some assistance and I am glad I did.

@Yethal thanks for the super quick response it's kind of crazy how fast you responded lol I appreciate it very much. You know the ins and outs of this unit like no other.

Hopefully this helps someone else who had the same problem as me in the future.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #2,121 of 3,608

In the audio settings on my Xbox One instead of choosing "Dolby Digital" I had to choose "Stereo Uncompressed" and the "Direct Mode SPDIF-In" works like a charm.

Thanks a bunch I was chatting with Creative Tech's support chat and they basically gave me the generic "restart your X7, unplug your Dac/Amp, hardware reset, etc" spiel which probably works for most people's problems. After 25 minutes of that I decided to ask my head-fi bros for some assistance and I am glad I did.

@Yethal thanks for the super quick response it's kind of crazy how fast you responded lol I appreciate it very much. You know the ins and outs of this unit like no other.

Just out of curiosity, why are you interesting in running Direct Mode SPDIF-In while gaming?

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #2,122 of 3,608
Just out of curiosity, why are you interesting in running Direct Mode SPDIF-In while gaming?

I was just exploring and tinkering with different settings. I was curious what "Direct Mode" sounded like.

I had a Yamaha Reciever V373, I believe, and it had a "Straight Mode" which is a pass through of the native signal but it worked with "Stereo" and "Dolby Digital" signals. Kind of surprised the X7 can't do pass thru with DD but at the same time with all these features and configurations and settings it's kind of like asking Michael Jordan to drop 80 points in a game instead of 60 lol...60 is damn good and impressive and it's enough (not against the Celtics but you get my drift) haha.

I'll stick to DD no problem :)

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #2,123 of 3,608
I tried to turn all the SBX setttings down to 0 vs Direct Mode to tell the difference. It seemed like the former was just louder than DM. I use the SBX settings for gaming, but I like to turn everything down to 0 for music.

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,124 of 3,608
I tried to turn all the SBX setttings down to 0 vs Direct Mode to tell the difference. It seemed like the former was just louder than DM. I use the SBX settings for gaming, but I like to turn everything down to 0 for music.

Ya. SBX is definitely off for me when listening to music, but I prefer to use direct, if for no other reason than to assure me that no processing is happening behind the scenes.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,125 of 3,608
Ya. SBX is definitely off for me when listening to music, but I prefer to use direct, if for no other reason than to assure me that no processing is happening behind the scenes.

True, using DM is great for peace of mind, I just cringe at the click massacre that happens every time I turn on my PC. Has anyone been able to ask a Creative rep what the difference is between Direct Mode and SBX at 0?

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #2,126 of 3,608

I usually post in this thread at 5am on my way to work. 5am in Poland is about 8-9pm in US so You can thank the timezone difference for the quick response.
True, using DM is great for peace of mind, I just cringe at the click massacre that happens every time I turn on my PC. Has anyone been able to ask a Creative rep what the difference is between Direct Mode and SBX at 0?

The built-in digital mixer is bypassed so the signal isn't resampled to use lowest common sampling frequency and bitrate.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2,127 of 3,608
I was just exploring and tinkering with different settings. I was curious what "Direct Mode" sounded like.

I had a Yamaha Reciever V373, I believe, and it had a "Straight Mode" which is a pass through of the native signal but it worked with "Stereo" and "Dolby Digital" signals. Kind of surprised the X7 can't do pass thru with DD but at the same time with all these features and configurations and settings it's kind of like asking Michael Jordan to drop 80 points in a game instead of 60 lol...60 is damn good and impressive and it's enough (not against the Celtics but you get my drift) haha.

I'll stick to DD no problem :)

I'm just about to place an order for the X7 as I'm looking to upgrade my audio for gaming (PS4). I too currently have a Yamaha V373 but find the audio out of the headphone jack lacking. Stereo is ok but the Yamaha surround DSP isn't the best and I tend to use my Astro Mixamp for the Dolby Headphone (with Sennheiser HD558s).

I've had a good read of this awesome thread and just seeking a little clarification if possible please from the X7 users in the thread.

1. For purely PS4 gaming with headphones, is it as simple as hooking up the optical, bit streaming the DD from the PS4 and selecting DD on the X7?

2. Would using the "direct mode" on the X7 basically be a stereo signal? Therefore if you wanted the virtual surround you would run as per point 1 above?

3. Maybe a daft question but, is the X7 a noticeable upgrade over the Astro Mixamp? I assume so as it offers better amplification than the Mixamp. I will also be upgrading my cans in the near future as well as I know the Mixamp will struggle with some of the higher end cans. I appreciate any gains may not be high with HD558s but will be on better cans e.g. K712s.

Many thanks in advance.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #2,128 of 3,608
I'm just about to place an order for the X7 as I'm looking to upgrade my audio for gaming (PS4). I too currently have a Yamaha V373 but find the audio out of the headphone jack lacking. Stereo is ok but the Yamaha surround DSP isn't the best and I tend to use my Astro Mixamp for the Dolby Headphone (with Sennheiser HD558s).

I've had a good read of this awesome thread and just seeking a little clarification if possible please from the X7 users in the thread.

1. For purely PS4 gaming with headphones, is it as simple as hooking up the optical, bit streaming the DD from the PS4 and selecting DD on the X7? yes, it's this easy

2. Would using the "direct mode" on the X7 basically be a stereo signal? Therefore if you wanted the virtual surround you would run as per point 1 above? I don't use direct on the optical (Xbox One), but do on other sources with a stereo signal.

3. Maybe a daft question but, is the X7 a noticeable upgrade over the Astro Mixamp? I assume so as it offers better amplification than the Mixamp. I will also be upgrading my cans in the near future as well as I know the Mixamp will struggle with some of the higher end cans. I appreciate any gains may not be high with HD558s but will be on better cans e.g. K712s. I've always found the Mix Amp muddy. The X7 is clearer sounding while still providing great surround. It can drive any headphone, unlike the Astro which I used to have to double amp. I think you'll be very happy with the swap

Many thanks in advance.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #2,129 of 3,608

1. For purely PS4 gaming with headphones, is it as simple as hooking up the optical, bit streaming the DD from the PS4 and selecting DD on the X7?

2. Would using the "direct mode" on the X7 basically be a stereo signal? Therefore if you wanted the virtual surround you would run as per point 1 above?

3. Maybe a daft question but, is the X7 a noticeable upgrade over the Astro Mixamp? I assume so as it offers better amplification than the Mixamp. I will also be upgrading my cans in the near future as well as I know the Mixamp will struggle with some of the higher end cans. I appreciate any gains may not be high with HD558s but will be on better cans e.g. K712s.

Many thanks in advance.

1. - Not really, You also need to install the Creative drivers and Control Panel on either Windows/Mac or Android/iOS device and change some default settings (SBX, Crystalizer and Dynamic Range), but it's all pretty simple, only needs to be done once and can be done over Bluetooth co no need to hook up additional cables to the X7 just to change the settings)

2. Direct Mode is for music listening only. It disables 5.1 decoding and all audio enhancements such as virtual surround or the equalizer. Direct Mode isn't really useful as it disables all inputs and outputs other than USB/Optical (depending on the user's choice) and the SQ difference is small.

3. Yes, it is a noticeable upgrade. The DAC and the amplifier section are significantly better than the Mixamp. Morevoer, the microphone input is much better and can be further enhanced using built-in digital processing. However, unlike the Mixamp which is pretty much plug'n'play, the X7 requires some manual configuration and troubleshooting as it's a wayward device.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #2,130 of 3,608
1. - Not really, You also need to install the Creative drivers and Control Panel on either Windows/Mac or Android/iOS device and change some default settings (SBX, Crystalizer and Dynamic Range), but it's all pretty simple, only needs to be done once and can be done over Bluetooth co no need to hook up additional cables to the X7 just to change the settings.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Why would some of the default settings need to be changed? I thought if bit streaming the DD from the PS4 and using the DD mode on the X7 I wouldn't even use the SBX option on the unit. Or do any tweaks you make in the control panel also effect the DD mode as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back