Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jul 8, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,862 of 3,608
Anyone have any experience running HE-560s off the X7? I'm currently using k702 Anniversaries, and while they are excellent, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug. Also, Adorama has the 560s for $599.

I've done some research on other threads and there is some concern that the X7 won't be able to drive them to full potential. If that's the case, then I assume that I'd be better off with my Annies for the time being.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience. And I know that I am now able to use the line/optical out for surround, but I'm not ready to buy another amp (yet).

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #1,863 of 3,608
Anyone have any experience running HE-560s off the X7? I'm currently using k702 Anniversaries, and while they are excellent, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug. Also, Adorama has the 560s for $599.

I've done some research on other threads and there is some concern that the X7 won't be able to drive them to full potential. If that's the case, then I assume that I'd be better off with my Annies for the time being.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience. And I know that I am now able to use the line/optical out for surround, but I'm not ready to buy another amp (yet).

I tried it and wasn't very impressed with the stock op-amps. I bought some aftermarket op-amps instead and was more pleased with the balance. The HE-560 won't suck with the 560, though the 560 sounds different to the K7XX/Annies by default and I ended up preferring the K7XX in the long run [despite the 560 being charming in many areas. I recommend a listen to the 560 first].
I'd be satisfied with either off the X7 with some nice aftermarket op-amps :}

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #1,864 of 3,608
You can try running them off the speaker taps instead of the headphone out.

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,865 of 3,608
  I tried it and wasn't very impressed with the stock op-amps. I bought some aftermarket op-amps instead and was more pleased with the balance. The HE-560 won't suck with the 560, though the 560 sounds different to the K7XX/Annies by default and I ended up preferring the K7XX in the long run [despite the 560 being charming in many areas. I recommend a listen to the 560 first].
I'd be satisfied with either off the X7 with some nice aftermarket op-amps :}

Thanks.  I'm running with the Sparkos SS3601 op-amps, thanks to Yethal's write-up and my lack of impulse control.  Sounds like I may very well end up preferring the K702 Anniversaries in either event.  I love their sound stage (for gaming) and I'm afraid that the truest upgrade would be the HD800/S, but I likely will need a new amp for that.

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #1,866 of 3,608

Thanks.  I'm running with the Sparkos SS3601 op-amps, thanks to Yethal's write-up and my lack of impulse control.  Sounds like I may very well end up preferring the K702 Anniversaries in either event.  I love their sound stage (for gaming) and I'm afraid that the truest upgrade would be the HD800/S, but I likely will need a new amp for that.

SS is one of the attributes that won't impress with the 560 or most other planars, sadly :/
I am not quite sure the K7XX or Annies have an upgrade path to be honest. The tonality is spot on IMO and works for almost every purpose. I did not find the HD800/S all that impressive but that's because I value smoothness and the K7XX is just perfectly balanced IMO. I've heard almost every headphone I still find my current favorites [MA900,K7XX,X2] to have the best balance of things, even if beat in certain aspects. Tonality is at the top for me and the K7XX [as well as the other two] have the SS, detail retrieval and price to back it all up :}

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #1,867 of 3,608
SS is one of the attributes that won't impress with the 560 or most other planars, sadly :/
I am not quite sure the K7XX or Annies have an upgrade path to be honest. The tonality is spot on IMO and works for almost every purpose. I did not find the HD800/S all that impressive but that's because I value smoothness and the K7XX is just perfectly balanced IMO. I've heard almost every headphone I still find my current favorites [MA900,K7XX,X2] to have the best balance of things, even if beat in certain aspects. Tonality is at the top for me and the K7XX [as well as the other two] have the SS, detail retrieval and price to back it all up :}

Well, you have saved me a lot of money today. Thank you!

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,868 of 3,608
Well, you have saved me a lot of money today. Thank you!

You're welcome! I'd definitely advise for you to hear whatever headphones you might like, but to buy from a place that has a return policy, like Amazon. I used to buy fairly expensive things blind and wasn't always satisfied. Luckily, Amazon has expanded to Europe much more prominently recently so that option is now there for me :]
I was disappointed to find the K812 to not be the successor to the K7xx series I wished it would be, so hopefully AKG will make something happen eventually :D

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #1,869 of 3,608
  You're welcome! I'd definitely advise for you to hear whatever headphones you might like, but to buy from a place that has a return policy, like Amazon. I used to buy fairly expensive things blind and wasn't always satisfied. Luckily, Amazon has expanded to Europe much more prominently recently so that option is now there for me :]
I was disappointed to find the K812 to not be the successor to the K7xx series I wished it would be, so hopefully AKG will make something happen eventually :D

This is a good point.  Adorama has a decent return policy (30 days), but you're stuck paying shipping both ways for returns.  I was smitten with the discount, but I am wise enough to research these things before blind-buying.  Seems like my preferred sound signature is already available in my own home.  

Here's to fingers crossed for a true successor to the K7XX series.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #1,870 of 3,608
Hi guys,

What is the word on external headphone amplifier with SB X7? I recall reading a couple of reviews/impressions where people say that they were not all that impressed with a built-in one. Is it worth it or not? My X7 is due to arrive on Tuesday and I wonder if I should be looking for an amplifier now - planning to use it with my ZMF Vibro MkII headphones mostly... Which amplifier would you recommend (if its indeed needed)?

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #1,871 of 3,608
  Hi guys,

What is the word on external headphone amplifier with SB X7? I recall reading a couple of reviews/impressions where people say that they were not all that impressed with a built-in one. Is it worth it or not? My X7 is due to arrive on Tuesday and I wonder if I should be looking for an amplifier now - planning to use it with my ZMF Vibro MkII headphones mostly... Which amplifier would you recommend (if its indeed needed)?

Thanks!

Instead of an amplifier (on which You'd have to spend almost the same You spent on the X7 in order to hear a meaningful difference) You can just buy better op-amps in order to improve the sound of the existing amp.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #1,872 of 3,608
So I'm running this through my head right now and I'd like to run it by everyone here for suggestions.  Right now the 2 sound sources that I would use this with are a PC and a turntable.  Both would use Yamaha HS80M speakers and a Yamaha Sub.  I would also use Beyerdynamic T1 headphones.  Right now for the turntable I use a Schiit Valhalla 2 headphone amp, and my PC has a Soundblaster Zx sound card.  

Now obviously the X7 would be nice in that I could combine both the Schiit/Soundblaster into 1 sound device, and from what I've read of the X7 it seems to me that the sound it pushes out is just fine.  What I'm curious about though is right now when I use the HS80M's on my PC into the soundcard, I'm getting an audible buzz/hum coming out of both speakers.  When I go into my turntable phono preamp, or even when I connect the speakers to another laptop I have, that doesn't happen.   So what I'm wondering is do you think the X7 in conjunction with the PC that I want to use it with has a good chance of getting rid of the noise that I'm hearing?  Because if so, I'd order one.  

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #1,873 of 3,608
So I'm running this through my head right now and I'd like to run it by everyone here for suggestions.  Right now the 2 sound sources that I would use this with are a PC and a turntable.  Both would use Yamaha HS80M speakers and a Yamaha Sub.  I would also use Beyerdynamic T1 headphones.  Right now for the turntable I use a Schiit Valhalla 2 headphone amp, and my PC has a Soundblaster Zx sound card.  

Now obviously the X7 would be nice in that I could combine both the Schiit/Soundblaster into 1 sound device, and from what I've read of the X7 it seems to me that the sound it pushes out is just fine.  What I'm curious about though is right now when I use the HS80M's on my PC into the soundcard, I'm getting an audible buzz/hum coming out of both speakers.  When I go into my turntable phono preamp, or even when I connect the speakers to another laptop I have, that doesn't happen.   So what I'm wondering is do you think the X7 in conjunction with the PC that I want to use it with has a good chance of getting rid of the noise that I'm hearing?  Because if so, I'd order one.  

That's static noise,common occurence for any analog audio circuit that runs near electric component.

Static noise is one of the reasons why people prefer external sound card, so yes, x7 will get rid of that sound.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,874 of 3,608
Don't use a turntable with the X7. The analog input is not directly connected to the amp. It runs through the ADC and digital mixer and then to the DAC.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #1,875 of 3,608
Nice people from Supreme Sound Audio have sent me their new V5i opamps for review. I'll have a review ready in about a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back