Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jun 22, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #1,816 of 3,608
Glad to be here
smily_headphones1.gif

Was hoping to surprise everyone with the firmware and software release but I got beat to the punch!

Woops, that was me! Didn't mean to steal your thunder haha. Can't wait for the software release though—I'll save that one for you! :D

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #1,817 of 3,608
  Looks like the firmware update for Windows is out! 

http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=13673
SBX7_PCFW_EN_160505.exe
What's New:
  1. Added option to enable/disable Headphone Surround processing in Line/Optical Out
  2. Added option to select audio output to passive speakers and/or active speakers (Line Out)
  3. Added option to enable/disable Auto Standby

So if I've already installed the latest OS X firmware (March 1, 2016) and the iOS controller, do I need this firmware update, too?  [I have a work PC, so I am able to load it]

Also, what is the software package that is being referred to in this thread?  new driver/application package?  

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,818 of 3,608
  Yeah but Behringer products are in the "prosumer" and "professional" segments of the market. X7 is for a casual consumer.

its $20.... 

TASCAM is also  in the "prosumer" and "professional" segments of the market but they still sell a few cheap but good doo-dads for the average joe. 

Behringer has quite a few cheapy but good consumer products. Anyway my point was the UAC202 is preatty much the best and cheapest USB to optical "converter" you will find. But now that I have an X7 on the way, I guess I won't be needing my 202 any more. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,820 of 3,608
Hi all,

The windows software package is up on the website located at this link:

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&subCatID=1090&subCatName=X-Series&prodID=22308&prodName=Sound+Blaster+X7+Limited+Edition&bTopTwenty=1&VARSET=prodfaq:pRODFAQ_22308,VARSET=CategoryID:1

This gives you the ability to access the new features supplied in the latest firmware update.

The Android and iOS apps are being updated as well to reflect the new functionality (Android is available and the iOS version is navitaging the labyrinth of Apple approval for the app store).

Mac firmware is updated and software update is following shortly as well.

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,822 of 3,608
  Hi all,

The windows software package is up on the website located at this link:

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&subCatID=1090&subCatName=X-Series&prodID=22308&prodName=Sound+Blaster+X7+Limited+Edition&bTopTwenty=1&VARSET=prodfaq:pRODFAQ_22308,VARSET=CategoryID:1

This gives you the ability to access the new features supplied in the latest firmware update.

The Android and iOS apps are being updated as well to reflect the new functionality (Android is available and the iOS version is navitaging the labyrinth of Apple approval for the app store).

Mac firmware is updated and software update is following shortly as well.

FINALLY!!!

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #1,823 of 3,608
Looks like the firmware update for Windows is out! 

http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=13673
[COLOR=232D2F]SBX7_PCFW_EN_160505.exe[/COLOR]
[COLOR=232D2F]What's New:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=232D2F]
  • Added option to enable/disable Headphone Surround processing in Line/Optical Out
  • Added option to select audio output to passive speakers and/or active speakers (Line Out)
  • Added option to enable/disable Auto Standby
[/COLOR]

Glad to be here :)

Was hoping to surprise everyone with the firmware and software release but I got beat to the punch!

Good news is good news, it's definitely cool to have representation from the manufacturer interact directly with the community. I suppose it's easy to see the pent-up demand and interest when a customer is watching for updates so closely they beat the official announcement, lol!!

I have a question... Is this just a software/driver package for PC, or is it also new firmware to go into the X7?

And guys, I immediately downloaded the iOS app as soon as I heard about it, and I've been using the X7 + RCA + Cavalli Liquid Carbon + HD800 since then. All I changed was I tap the switch "Headphone Surround for Line/Optical Out," and set "Speaker Output Target" to Line Out out. It's a little confusing that this is in the Speakers panel, but I got used to it. I'm not exactly sure I have it set up correctly... I have the center and rear speaker channels off because I figured that would route the sound for those directions to the other output ports on the back of the X7 (running the in-app "test," I only hear FR/FL channels when all are enabled).

In use, the combo does a pretty freaking fantastic job. I've been playing Overwatch and FarCry 4 a lot lately, and it's dead simple to pick out where the action is coming from and which direction behind a wall another Overwatch player is trying to juke me. The headphone surround definitely works, and using the X7 as a DAC (and my LC for balanced XLR output) does a very admirable job of making each sound distinct without blooming over eachother, and it's super convenient for patching in Apple Music playlists from my phone in alongside the game audio (or taking a game-break to just sink into the tunes).

I will add two more things:
1.) The X7 made me realize I absolutely love having a headphone stand, and while I do use it with my HD800 I feel like I have to be super careful when placing the headphones on it. The HD800 are big and at the upper-limit of weight that the wire-hanger can support... The foam spacer in the back of my X7 that braces the hanger popped off once and the hanger leaned to the side, but nothing was damaged. Now that I know I like stands, I want a bunch for all my most-used headphones instead of cluttering my desk during testing or jamming.
2.) The line-out volume resets to a moderate volume every time I turn the X7 back on. I actually like this, because I feel it's safer for my hearing, but I always turn it back up to max on the X7 (and turn down the volume on my LC just a liiiiittle bit, because sometimes I get volume creep and party a little at the end of the night before).

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,824 of 3,608
I just downloaded/installed the driver + firmware but the only change I see is the Advanced tab in the UI which lets you disable/enable auto standby .... where is the option to output SBX through line/optical out ?

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,827 of 3,608
Still no 7.1 channels input though....like G5/E5
x7 only has 5.1 analog outputs on the back and two extra channels make 0 difference when it comes to virtualization.

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #1,829 of 3,608
I thought 5.1 input channels are for 5.1 analog outs exclusively...and how do you know 2 extra channels won't make a difference ?

5.1 is also used for virtual surround. As for the extra channels, they only make a difference in big rooms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back