Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jun 19, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #1,787 of 3,608
There should be some measurements in the first post.

Jun 19, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #1,789 of 3,608
Latency problems with music recording? What, some kind of video lip-syncing issue? I may only be doing voice overs and game chat, but I don't notice any latency issues other than the usual delay in gaming (like a long distance telephone call... This is not an X7 issue).

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #1,790 of 3,608
X7 supports ASIO so You should be good if You want to record some music.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #1,791 of 3,608
thank you very much!

Quote:
Latency problems with music recording? What, some kind of video lip-syncing issue? I may only be doing voice overs and game chat, but I don't notice any latency issues other than the usual delay in gaming (like a long distance telephone call... This is not an X7 issue).

Yes, a lot of peoply have problems with their audio-setup and latency: http://recording.org/threads/does-s-pdif-out-have-any-latency-before-dac.44542/
I don´t mean the latency of internet. I mean local latency.

X7 supports ASIO so You should be good if You want to record some music.

Can you switch from ASIO to Direct-Sound? For example i wan´t to record something from my midi-keyboard to Cubase - i wan´t to use ASIO. But after that i wan´t to play a Windows-Game. How easy can i swap to Direct-Sound again?

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #1,792 of 3,608
  Yes, a lot of peoply have problems with their audio-setup and latency: http://recording.org/threads/does-s-pdif-out-have-any-latency-before-dac.44542/
I don´t mean the latency of internet. I mean local latency.

Can you switch from ASIO to Direct-Sound? For example i wan´t to record something from my midi-keyboard to Cubase - i wan´t to use ASIO. But after that i wan´t to play a Windows-Game. How easy can i swap to Direct-Sound again?

ASIO is only available for games that support it, games use direct sound exclusively.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #1,793 of 3,608
thank you, i don´t understand. Do i have to change anything after installing the ASIO-Driver and using it f.w. with cubase - and then wan´t to play a window-game(direct sound)? Or does it just work. And after the game i wan´t to tab back to cubase and recort anything with ASIO and its working directly? I don´t have to uninstall/install a driver in the meantime? Oder switch anything?

Quote:
  The test says:
"PRO:
Asynchronous USB data transfer protocol"

what does that mean? Is it lower latency for pc-gaming?

Quote:

1. It's a better data transmission standard. Don't worry about it.

And why does shiit say it is bad? "Bifrost uses a sophisticated master clock management system to deliver bit-perfect data to the DAC—unlike many DACs that use asynchronous sample rate conversion (ASRC), which destroys the original samples. And, with our acclaimed Gen 2 USB input now standard, you’re ready for computer, tablet, and even phone-based sources."

Q: http://schiit.com/products/bifrost

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #1,794 of 3,608
Marketing

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #1,795 of 3,608

And why does shiit say it is bad? "Bifrost uses a sophisticated master clock management system to deliver bit-perfect data to the DAC—unlike many DACs that use asynchronous sample rate conversion (ASRC), which destroys the original samples. And, with our acclaimed Gen 2 USB input now standard, you’re ready for computer, tablet, and even phone-based sources."

Q: http://schiit.com/products/bifrost

Asynchronous Sample Rate Conversion =/= Asynchronous USB Data Transfer Protocol. The fact that these both have "asynchronous" in their name does not mean it's the same thing.

In Cubase You just select the ASIO in input devices.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #1,796 of 3,608
I use Cubase in ASIO but I never switch to Direct Sound. It is not possible to switch from window to window while in ASIO as that tends to grant access to a single program and then it usually takes a while to switch to another.
You can try using Direct for game and ASIO for Cubase but you might have to switch things, wait or close/reopen.
Thats the way it is. WASAPI usually does not have that problem but my current USB DDC is ASIO.

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,798 of 3,608
Does anyone have a PS3 they can connect to the X7 via USB? Apparently the PS4 works with USB DACS so it'd be cool if the PS3 also could do this, even though I doubt it.

Not gonna work. But, You can use the bt-w2 transmitter to route chat to the x7.

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,799 of 3,608
Not gonna work. But, You can use the bt-w2 transmitter to route chat to the x7.

I know about the BT-W2 for chat, that's not what I'm interested in. I'm talking about using headphones with the PS3 through the DAC, like how this person did with the PS4. Like I said, I doubt it will work, and optical always works, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #1,800 of 3,608
I searched and found zero results. 
Does the X7 have a TRRS jack? Can I use a headphones with a mic built in (a headset with a TRRS jack)? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back