Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jun 5, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,756 of 3,608
Any PS4 users come across a weird bug where by the built in X7 mic decides to enable itself and broadcast everything you say despite muting it?  Only way I found to fix it is switch off the X7 and the PS4 and Turn the PS4 on first and then the X7.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature." ~ NSA

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #1,757 of 3,608
^ Touché lol :D
Anyway, RE - Optical / LO passthrough - lots of us have a better sound chain than the X7. Or go for a different sound, etc. So this has been a feature lots of us welcome as now natively supported without workarounds...
Right now the only choice, short of the Realiser :p Unless the G5 can eventually do it...

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #1,759 of 3,608
So I got it all set up tonight :D Couple questions to those of you with one - the volume knob tends to scrape a little on the bottom when turning it though don't know if this is just a problem with mine? I've also connected my ps4 up with the toslink cable and the ps4 is playing sound out of the HDMI and toslink... bit weird so I just turned the volume on my monitor to 0. 

All in all though I couldn't be happier with how neat this solution is and the audio quality is great. Also my speakers are rated for 6Ω should I used the 4Ω or 8Ω on the X7?

Also here's a picture of my set up encase anybody wanted to see it :p https://i.imgur.com/q123iHr.jpg

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #1,760 of 3,608
  So I got it all set up tonight :D Couple questions to those of you with one - the volume knob tends to scrape a little on the bottom when turning it though don't know if this is just a problem with mine? I've also connected my ps4 up with the toslink cable and the ps4 is playing sound out of the HDMI and toslink... bit weird so I just turned the volume on my monitor to 0. 

All in all though I couldn't be happier with how neat this solution is and the audio quality is great. Also my speakers are rated for 6Ω should I used the 4Ω or 8Ω on the X7?

Also here's a picture of my set up encase anybody wanted to see it :p https://i.imgur.com/q123iHr.jpg

I like your set up, very clean 

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #1,761 of 3,608

All in all though I couldn't be happier with how neat this solution is and the audio quality is great. Also my speakers are rated for 6[COLOR=252525]Ω[/COLOR] should I used the[COLOR=252525] 4[/COLOR][COLOR=252525]Ω[/COLOR] [COLOR=252525]or 8[/COLOR][COLOR=252525]Ω[/COLOR] on the X7?

Multi output is normal, ps4 does that. As for the speakers, set them to 8 ohms.

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #1,762 of 3,608
What is the other option under Speaker output target? Is it possible to set it to headphones? Or to fixed volume?

It's almost like that option was specifically made for me and my Stax setup, lol!

As you can see, the intent is to have "speaker output" go out the powered taps on the back, the Line-out outputs, or both. Before, that was always set as "Amplifier + Line Out," or more descriptively, speaker out sends audio to both outputs. This doesn't affect the settings for when the X7 is set to "headphone out," even though they put the processed headphone surround out setting on this speakers panel of the app, lol.

Is it that people are looking to use a different, better amp with the X7? While I'm sure there are benefits, I don't understand the draw of the line out feature. After upgrading the op amps, I can't really see how much more I'd need from a headphone DAC/amp combo.

You know what... I HAVE better DACs and Amps anyway, so at some point I am going to use this feature just because, but overall I side with you.

The X7 really is a decently capable mid-fi DAC and amp, and the ability to upgrade the OpAmps is something I'd like to investigate further. For the longest time, surround processing was only available for PC, or for consoles with an external processor for about $120, and for the money the amps were always fairly weak and the DACs kinda basic (read: entry-fi fuzzy definition), and in those days we almost always had to double-amp for any headphone that wasn't designed very easy to drive and merely dream of how good surround would be with a nice DAC. Now, the X7 is more than satisfactory with almost any single ended headphone, and any upgrades would be more to suit taste rather than being underpowered. Processed Line-out and optical out is pretty niché.

That said... Providing an amping line-out and even bypassing the DAC with an optical-out had been a tradition with Creative PC products in the past, and extended the utility of those products. Don't want the perception that something was taken away, especially with Creative's TOTL product. The other aspect is that this is Creative's TOTL product... the X7's very good, but there are technically greater products out there (but cost lots of $$$ before they're appreciably better), and it would suck if the Creative product couldn't be integrated into my best setup.

As Deadpool would say "Maximum Effort!!!"

My only gripe is the drivers. My iPad and iPhone have a hard time connecting via Bluetooth and the sound quality of USB host is way worse than Bluetooth for me, so I'm chalking that up to a driver issue, too.

Uh, my iPad and iPhone don't Bluetooth connect automatically when the X7 is on (like my BT Speaker or Creative E5 do), but every time I go into settings and tap the saved device it connects without issue. If it's harder than that for you, you could try forgetting and re-pairing your devices?

When I did an iOS update, my iPhone and iPad started intermittently not communicating/playing audio through the USB Host port, but I'm good to go after a few plug/unplugs (thought I had this problem recently but turns out I just had the USB Host volume turned down in settings). USB host sounds clearly better than Bluetooth to me.

I'm and Android guy, the USB host sounds almost the same as the main USB connection.

Same, on my iPhone and iPad. Better DAC than the iPhone's internal is clearly evident too.

WELP I just bought one second hand so I hope I don't run into any issues lol .

Welcome to de club! I think your setup looks pretty tidy too... Somebody likes their Rainbow Six, and I find it interesting you like to use a wired Mac keyboard on your windows tower. I've got one too!

My X7's volume knob has no rubbing or rough spots, just a light even resistance while turning.

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #1,763 of 3,608
Went back and listened to Bluetooth versus USB Host, and Creative seems to have borked Bluetooth playback in the latest update. Everything is decidedly adjusted to the left channel. There's still stereo happening, but all the vocals seem to "lean" left.

Everything sounds centered when using USB host, but I still feel like it is slightly flatter sounding.

Ediit:
Reinstalled the op amps and all seems better. Doesn't explain why Bluetooth's stereo imaging was adjusted to the left last night, but it appears to be working normally now.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #1,764 of 3,608

I like your set up, very clean 

Thanks it's not normally that clean aha wait until I get my notepad on it and then stuff starts to pile up :p 

Multi output is normal, ps4 does that. As for the speakers, set them to 8 ohms.

Ahh good to know thanks! Maybe I'd been using DVI last time with the PS4 so not noticed the multi sound output. Thanks on the speakers, 8ohms sounded punchier and slightly louder just didn't want to damage the speakers

Welcome to de club! I think your setup looks pretty tidy too... Somebody likes their Rainbow Six, and I find it interesting you like to use a wired Mac keyboard on your windows tower. I've got one too!

My X7's volume knob has no rubbing or rough spots, just a light even resistance while turning.

Cheers, like I said above whether I can keep it tidy will be a challenge haha the wallpaper I thought was really cool, I like how it uses the dual screens but I've not actually played the game :frowning2: oh really I normally get stick for that but it's such a good keyboard and doesn't take up much room! I think mines a US version but I'm used to it :D Not sure what's up with my X7, it was second hand but probably covered under warranty still if it becomes problematic....

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,765 of 3,608
Hi,

I've owned the X7 for a while, and I love it, but I've been having some trouble. I think I found a workaround today, so I thought I'd post it here, in case anyone is having similar issues. Might have been posted earlier in the thread as well, but this thread is huuuuge. I'll update my post in case I run into any issues.

I have my X7 hooked up to my desktop via USB. I've been having issues with some games here and there, but just last week the problems got so bad I had to do some real testing. I've been seeing some DirectX related crashes here and there for some months, but 2 games finally brought out the problem for real: Final Fantasy XIV DirectX11 and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. FF XIV would cut the sound after some minutes, and sometimes crash on alt-tab, or during gameplay. ME:C constantly dropped the sound. I used EventGhost to diagnose it, and it turns out the USB connection to the X7 was dropped every time the sound troubles started. So I started debugging. Tried about 10 different USB cables. Tried tweaking USB settings in the BIOS. Tried removing my overclock. Tried running it on Windows 7 (Windows 10 is my main). No help. So I decided the problem was Creative having ****ty drivers.

But then I stumbled on an interesting work around. I connected the X7 to my PC via a powered USB 2.0 hub. Bam. No more dropouts.It seems the X7 USB connection was power starved, even though the unit is powered already. I've been playing both games all day, and seeing no issues at all.

So TL:DR:

Having issues with the X7 via USB? Try connecting it to your computer via a powered USB 2.0 hub.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,766 of 3,608
  Hi,

I've owned the X7 for a while, and I love it, but I've been having some trouble. I think I found a workaround today, so I thought I'd post it here, in case anyone is having similar issues. Might have been posted earlier in the thread as well, but this thread is huuuuge. I'll update my post in case I run into any issues.

I have my X7 hooked up to my desktop via USB. I've been having issues with some games here and there, but just last week the problems got so bad I had to do some real testing. I've been seeing some DirectX related crashes here and there for some months, but 2 games finally brought out the problem for real: Final Fantasy XIV DirectX11 and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. FF XIV would cut the sound after some minutes, and sometimes crash on alt-tab, or during gameplay. ME:C constantly dropped the sound. I used EventGhost to diagnose it, and it turns out the USB connection to the X7 was dropped every time the sound troubles started. So I started debugging. Tried about 10 different USB cables. Tried tweaking USB settings in the BIOS. Tried removing my overclock. Tried running it on Windows 7 (Windows 10 is my main). No help. So I decided the problem was Creative having ****ty drivers.

But then I stumbled on an interesting work around. I connected the X7 to my PC via a powered USB 2.0 hub. Bam. No more dropouts.It seems the X7 USB connection was power starved, even though the unit is powered already. I've been playing both games all day, and seeing no issues at all.

Having issues with the X7 via USB? Try connecting it to your computer via a powered USB 2.0 hub.

Try disabling USB power saving in Power Management options.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,767 of 3,608
 Hi,

Try disabling USB power saving in Power Management options.

Thanks for the tip, but I tried that as well, and it didn't fix it. Tried turning off USB suspend in power options as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,768 of 3,608
How many USB controllers (controllers, not ports) do You have on Your motherboard? Try plugging the X7 on a separate controller from the rest of Your USB devices. To tell You the truth, You're the first person in either of the X7 threads to have reported such a problem.

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,769 of 3,608
  How many USB controllers (controllers, not ports) do You have on Your motherboard? Try plugging the X7 on a separate controller from the rest of Your USB devices. To tell You the truth, You're the first person in either of the X7 threads to have reported such a problem.

2 controllers, one Intel and one ASMedia. https://www.asus.com/no/Motherboards/X99S/. Tried to separate it out, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I suspect the motherboard is more at fault here than the X7. There was one guy on Amazon who seemed to have a similar problem though: http://www.amazon.com/review/R13KUK8ZAF26O4/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00Q3XLGLU

Anyway, it's working now, and I'm a happy camper. I really enjoy the SBX surround effect, so I was dreading switching to another sound card.

I also really enjoy the fact that it mixes USB, optical, bluetooth and USB host sound together without the need to select input, which comes in very handy. I run my phone via bluetooth to hear when it rings. I run another phone via USB host that runs a baby monitor software, so I can use my headphones and still hear my daughter. I run my consoles through the optical and PC through USB. I really love it, and I'm super happy that I finally seem to have gotten it working 100%!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back