Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jun 5, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,741 of 3,608
  something tells me a new driver with new UI is coming...

Yeah, the Creative rep. Like four months ago. Since then, only silence.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #1,748 of 3,608
I sure did! :innocent:

Now that it has the line out it'd be nice to have again. Especially with my current audio chain and a future that looks to have an hd800 purchase in it.

Is it that people are looking to use a different, better amp with the X7? While I'm sure there are benefits, I don't understand the draw of the line out feature. After upgrading the op amps, I can't really see how much more I'd need from a headphone DAC/amp combo.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,749 of 3,608
Is it that people are looking to use a different, better amp with the X7? While I'm sure there are benefits, I don't understand the draw of the line out feature. After upgrading the op amps, I can't really see how much more I'd need from a headphone DAC/amp combo.

Bugless drivers maybe? I mean, I love my X7 but seriously, Creative dropped a ball on this one.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,750 of 3,608
Bugless drivers maybe? I mean, I love my X7 but seriously, Creative dropped a ball on this one.

My only gripe is the drivers. My iPad and iPhone have a hard time connecting via Bluetooth and the sound quality of USB host is way worse than Bluetooth for me, so I'm chalking that up to a driver issue, too.

Other than that, I can't see the usefulness of SBX out over optical or line. The unit is already $400, and I know this is head fi, but if you're going to use another amp in the chain, then the X7 becomes a very expensive console sound processor.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,751 of 3,608
My only gripe is the drivers. My iPad and iPhone have a hard time connecting via Bluetooth and the sound quality of USB host is way worse than Bluetooth for me, so I'm chalking that up to a driver issue, too.

Other than that, I can't see the usefulness of SBX out over optical or line. The unit is already $400, and I know this is head fi, but if you're going to use another amp in the chain, then the X7 becomes a very expensive console sound processor.

I use the USB host pretty much only for charging my phone since my PC is on all the time and both devices share a music collection. However I do see a reason to use the SBX to line-out feature, mainly balanced and electrostatic headphones.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,752 of 3,608
I use the USB host pretty much only for charging my phone since my PC is on all the time and both devices share a music collection. However I do see a reason to use the SBX to line-out feature, mainly balanced and electrostatic headphones.

I can see the balanced/electrostatic utility. Good poinT.

If you use iOS devices, give the USB host mode a whirl. The sq is incredibly tinny. Directly connected to PC via USB sounds about the same as my iDevices via Bluetooth.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,753 of 3,608
I can see the balanced/electrostatic utility. Good poinT.

If you use iOS devices, give the USB host mode a whirl. The sq is incredibly tinny. Directly connected to PC via USB sounds about the same as my iDevices via Bluetooth.

I'm and Android guy, the USB host sounds almost the same as the main USB connection. It's a shame that iOS driver is so bad.

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #1,754 of 3,608
Any PS4 users come across a weird bug where by the built in X7 mic decides to enable itself and broadcast everything you say despite muting it?  Only way I found to fix it is switch off the X7 and the PS4 and Turn the PS4 on first and then the X7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back