Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Nov 28, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #1,141 of 3,608
I have the Xonar U7 Echelon edition, it has this neat Sonic Radar feature that I like a lot, The DAC and ADC chips on the U7 are also superior to Omni's. U7 has two types of surround, Asus's own surround and DHTv4.

Thanks for the info. I do recall seeing the different surround options in the Asus software.

If the U7's DAC is superior to the Omni's, is it also to the X7's (for gaming)? Or is that an apples to oranges comparison, and thus, moot?

I also wonder about the inconvenience of having a separate DAC for gaming and one for music where I can only hook one up at a time. I guess that's where the X7 shines for folks like me. Still, I can't seem to sell myself completely on it, as I plan to purchase higher-end headphones in the future that ostensibly exceeds the X7 performance.

Maybe I just need to separate my music from my desktop PC. Argh! LOL.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #1,142 of 3,608
Thanks for the info. I do recall seeing the different surround options in the Asus software.

If the U7's DAC is superior to the Omni's, is it also to the X7's (for gaming)? Or is that an apples to oranges comparison, and thus, moot?

I also wonder about the inconvenience of having a separate DAC for gaming and one for music where I can only hook one up at a time. I guess that's where the X7 shines for folks like me. Still, I can't seem to sell myself completely on it, as I plan to purchase higher-end headphones in the future that ostensibly exceeds the X7 performance.

Maybe I just need to separate my music from my desktop PC. Argh! LOL.

X7's DAC/ADC chips are better than the U7's. You could use the headphone out on U7 for gaming and the Front RCA outs for music, use a Y-Splitter for connecting them into the same amp.

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,143 of 3,608
Is the g5 basically suppose to be the x7 without the amplification for speakers? Looking for a virtual surround option for the ps4 and want something a bit better than the mixamp. I'll be using the Fidelio x2s with a boompro mic. Basically between the x7 or waiting n the g5. Thoughts?

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,144 of 3,608
  Is the g5 basically suppose to be the x7 without the amplification for speakers? Looking for a virtual surround option for the ps4 and want something a bit better than the mixamp. I'll be using the Fidelio x2s with a boompro mic. Basically between the x7 or waiting n the g5. Thoughts?

Functionally, Yes. But X7 uses better quality components ADC/DAC/Amp section etc. I don't think the G5 will be any better than the X7 functionally.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #1,145 of 3,608
Functionally, Yes. But X7 uses better quality components ADC/DAC/Amp section etc. I don't think the G5 will be any better than the X7 functionally.

Unless it adds painless chat support. Making the X7 work with PS4 chat was the total opposite of painless.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,146 of 3,608
Hey guys, I'm not sure if the question has been answered yet, but if one day i'd like to add an external headphone amp onto the X7, would it be possible to use the X7 just as a DAC without double amping?  Someone said the line out SBX is different than headphone SBX, and I think optical out doesn't have SBX.  As far as I know, X7's optical out does not bypass DAC and AMP.  I might be wrong though... Thanks for your help :)

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,147 of 3,608
  Hey guys, I'm not sure if the question has been answered yet, but if one day i'd like to add an external headphone amp onto the X7, would it be possible to use the X7 just as a DAC without double amping?  Someone said the line out SBX is different than headphone SBX, and I think optical out doesn't have SBX.  As far as I know, X7's optical out does not bypass DAC and AMP.  I might be wrong though... Thanks for your help :)

Optical does bypass the DAC and amp. However, just like Line out [RCA out] it does not nativeky pass SBX Headphone surround through,
There's a workaround for the optical out to pass it but it requires a PC connected to the X7.
So while you can use the X7 just as a DAC by using the Line outs, the SBX Headphone surround will not be carried through 
frown.gif

At least for now...

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,148 of 3,608
  Optical does bypass the DAC and amp. However, just like Line out [RCA out] it does not nativeky pass SBX Headphone surround through,
There's a workaround for the optical out to pass it but it requires a PC connected to the X7.
So while you can use the X7 just as a DAC by using the Line outs, the SBX Headphone surround will not be carried through 
frown.gif

At least for now...

Thank you so much for your answer.  Can you please tell me about the workaround out of curiosity?  I was skimming through this thread but couldn't find the workaround you mentioned.  Thank you again!

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,149 of 3,608
Hello, recently i bought a xbox one and i need an audio setup for it.

I did some research and i found a list of devices that i think it will do the work:
For amplifiers i have these options i found the asus u7 and the creative sound blaster x7

On the departement of headphones, i looked for these: Sennheiser game zero, beyerdynamic mmx 300 n beyerdynamic dt990 pro

I'm looking for a setup that can reproduce high quality music and gaming experience, in terms of mic is important but not relevant.
I would like you guys to give me some opinions and advice about this.

Best regards,

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,151 of 3,608
Anyone else had issues with connecting an iPhone by usb to the x7. Mine no longer connects I know it is charging but power icon doesn't show up on phone and can't play music through it.

Is the direct mode engaged? If yes, disable it.

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #1,152 of 3,608
Is the direct mode engaged? If yes, disable it.

Haha got me so excited was like durr but nope that wasn't the issue 
frown.gif

It has to be a software issue might have to reset and re-update the device.

when my phone is plugged in it even randomly does things like it gets controlled by a ghost opening apps changing songs etc.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,153 of 3,608
Haha got me so excited was like durr but nope that wasn't the issue :frowning2:

It has to be a software issue might have to reset and re-update the device.

when my phone is plugged in it even randomly does things like it gets controlled by a ghost opening apps changing songs etc.

From what I heard the Creative app dies nitcplay nice with iOS 9. Try updating to a newer version.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,154 of 3,608
Sorry if this has been asked before but is there much of a difference between the LE and normal version of the x7? I know the LE comes with the better power supply, but if I am going to be only really using this with headphones on my ps4 and PC for the forseable future, and even with speakers if I do will probably be basic self powered PC speakers will I really see any benefit from the LE? Currently the normal one is on sale for 350 and comes with the bluetooth receiver, the LE is full price but works with their 30% coupon so it comes out to 350 as well, I can also find one used for probably a little under 300. Wondering if I buy a new one, should I just get the LE anyway since they are the same price currently or try and find a normal one for cheaper/with other accesories.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #1,155 of 3,608
Sorry if this has been asked before but is there much of a difference between the LE and normal version of the x7? I know the LE comes with the better power supply, but if I am going to be only really using this with headphones on my ps4 and PC for the forseable future, and even with speakers if I do will probably be basic self powered PC speakers will I really see any benefit from the LE? Currently the normal one is on sale for 350 and comes with the bluetooth receiver, the LE is full price but works with their 30% coupon so it comes out to 350 as well, I can also find one used for probably a little under 300. Wondering if I buy a new one, should I just get the LE anyway since they are the same price currently or try and find a normal one for cheaper/with other accesories.

For the same price, definitely get the LE. Afik, the accessories are the same, except for the LE's improved power supply. There's some question whether the slight difference in output impedance makes an appreciable difference in SQ. I just have the standard edition, so I never had a chance to confirm.

@earfonia's review at the top of this thread is comprehensive, and discusses the minor differences between the two models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back