Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Oct 12, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #1,036 of 3,608

but it will output 2 channel virtual surround ? usually soundcards output the DSP through optical out...

Nope, that's our biggest gripe with the device. There is a workaround for that but it requires a powered PC nearby.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,037 of 3,608
"Main stereo line output is using Burr-Brown PCM1794, while the surround channels are using 2x Burr-Brown PCM1793. I didn't test the surround channels, only the stereo line output from the Burr-Brown PCM1794."

you mean the RCA's at the back ?

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,038 of 3,608
Is my Creative Gigaworks T3 compattible with the X7, because i have only 1 cable thats connects it to my pc, because that one cable controls al things like left and right speaker and subwoofer, and that cable is in the pc now on the onboard sound.

So my question is can i also use one cable to plug it in the back of the x7 and wich in what output should it be ?

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,039 of 3,608
Is my Creative Gigaworks T3 compattible with the X7, because i have only 1 cable thats connects it to my pc, because that one cable controls al things like left and right speaker and subwoofer, and that cable is in the pc now on the onboard sound.

So my question is can i also use one cable to plug it in the back of the x7 and wich in what output should it be ?

Yes it can be used with the T3, you'd plug it into the front where the headphone jack is.

What do you want from the X7 ? I only ask as the X7 is a complete kit, by this I mean its a sound card, amp for passive speakers or active desktop (with Phono inputs), headphone amp & more !

Are you looking for better quality output of music ?

If yes, you would be better off with an internal sound card or an external one like the SB E1 for 1/3 of the money of the X7. Do you have any free PCI-E slots ?

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #1,040 of 3,608
Yes it can be used with the T3, you'd plug it into the front where the headphone jack is.

What do you want from the X7 ? I only ask as the X7 is a complete kit, by this I mean its a sound card, amp for passive speakers or active desktop (with Phono inputs), headphone amp & more !

Are you looking for better quality output of music ?

If yes, you would be better off with an internal sound card or an external one like the SB E1 for 1/3 of the money of the X7. Do you have any free PCI-E slots ?

No that what i said earlier i run 2 GTX 980 TI in SLI with 1 slot in between, so my soundblaster Zx is not in my case anymore, thing is gpu 1 runs 8x instead of 16x and the second problem is ventilation and heat, without the Zx my gpu,s are much cooler.

Check my second mesage under this sorry for my bad english.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,041 of 3,608
  Question i want to buy this x7 because i have a Geforce GTX 980 Ti sli setup and my current Soundblaster Zx wont fit in between, i tried the onboard realtek audio and it sounds really terrible compared to my Zx, i am a speaker guy, i use headphones-sets very often do u guys reckon this Soundblaster X7 with the High Power Adaptor or just with the standard one, i mainly game allot and sound is very important to me.

My speaker set-up is a 2.1 Creative Gigaworks T3 and i like high sound quality allot, but is it worth the extra price for that speakerset to go with the high power adaptor ?

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,042 of 3,608

I see now...

The T3 have an amp inbuilt in them already so again buying the X7 just to power them (active speaker), seems silly buying an amp'd sound card to output to an amp power speakers but if you were to upgrade your speakers down the line to a passive set (none powered) then it could be worth it in the long run.

You won't need the upgraded power supply to power the T3 as they are self powdered.

I have the standard X7 with the normal power supply & it powers a pair of KEF passive speakers fine.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,043 of 3,608
  No that what i said earlier i run 2 GTX 980 TI in SLI with 1 slot in between, so my soundblaster Zx is not in my case anymore, thing is gpu 1 runs 8x instead of 16x and the second problem is ventilation and heat, without the Zx my gpu,s are much cooler.

Check my second mesage under this sorry for my bad english.

Ever thought about just getting a PCI-E extender ribbon cable for your Zx? It won't be a pretty build but you could potentially mount your Zx outside your case.

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #1,045 of 3,608
Anyone else here using the X7 with the PS4? How's that going?

I'm about to get back into fps and need to sort out my chat situation. I'm using a Philips Fidelio X2. I get the sense that I can't just buy a boom pro mic cable and be good to go.

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #1,046 of 3,608
Anyone else here using the X7 with the PS4? How's that going?

I'm about to get back into fps and need to sort out my chat situation. I'm using a Philips Fidelio X2. I get the sense that I can't just buy a boom pro mic cable and be good to go.

BoomPro will help but it's only part of the solution. One of the hardware design flaws of the X7 is that the microphone input is only transmitted via USB or Bluetooth. Since X7 does not work with the PS4 via USB (driver is too complicated for the PS4 to handle) that leaves us with Bluetooth. Unfortunately, PS4 does not support Bluetooth headsets so we can't pair it directly with the X7. We can however buy a Bluetooth transmitter such as this one and pair it with the X7. Or, if You want to go fancy, buy the official Creative transmitter.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #1,047 of 3,608
BoomPro will help but it's only part of the solution. One of the hardware design flaws of the X7 is that the microphone input is only transmitted via USB or Bluetooth. Since X7 does not work with the PS4 via USB (driver is too complicated for the PS4 to handle) that leaves us with Bluetooth. Unfortunately, PS4 does not support Bluetooth headsets so we can't pair it directly with the X7. We can however buy a Bluetooth transmitter such as this one and pair it with the X7. Or, if You want to go fancy, buy the official Creative transmitter.

Thanks for the information! This doesn't mean I need to use bluetooth audio as well, correct? I'm not clear on how this dongle will work with the headphones and BoomPro combination.

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,049 of 3,608
Oct 17, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,050 of 3,608
  can anyone tell me if I can use the optical out to connect to another dac.​

You can but don't expect SBX passthrough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back