Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Sep 29, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #961 of 3,608
Has any one noticed that now direct mode is the same as SBX off now ? Before (noted by MLE) it had some warmth with SBX off, now the sound to my ears is the same as having Direct mode on.

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #962 of 3,608
Has any one noticed that now direct mode is the same as SBX off now ? Before (noted by MLE) it had some warmth with SBX off, now the sound to my ears is the same as having Direct mode on.
can you elaborate? I'm not sure I follow you. When I'm listening to music I always have SBX off. There's still a noticeable difference between direct mode on and off. Just checked and I still hear major differences with SBX off, with both direct on and direct off.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #964 of 3,608
can you elaborate? I'm not sure I follow you. When I'm listening to music I always have SBX off. There's still a noticeable difference between direct mode on and off. Just checked and I still hear major differences with SBX off, with both direct on and direct off.

Back when I last checked, SBX off = stereo in software mode. Then there is Direct Mode ON which = stereo with zero processing done by the X7, IIRC.

Well, Direct Mode OFF and Direct Mode ON had a slightly different signature. Direct Mode OFF was a hint more musical and ever so slightly warm. Direct Mode ON sounded a bit cold and dry. Even the Fidelio X2 sounded just a hint bass shy with Direct Mode On to me compared to other dac/amps I've used. It's not a bass shy headphone.

So if it's true and Direct Mode OFF and ON sound the same, I assume whatever slight coloration software mode had, is now gone. This sounds like a bad thing for me, as I don't like the X7 in Direct Mode. It sucked out a little musicality and richness at least compared to software mode. I'm not talking about bass, but just a hint of warmth in general. Very slight, but noticeable. Of course, EQ settings are there, but I don't personally EQ unless it's a really bad headphone.

I haven't updated yet, and until I have a pressing need to do so, I don't think I will. I'm still on Windows 8.1 on my personal computer until all the W10 growing pains are out of the way. Two other computers in the house have W10, and I'm not ready to deal with it yet.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #965 of 3,608
Back when I last checked, SBX off = stereo in software mode. Then there is Direct Mode ON which = stereo with zero processing done by the X7, IIRC.

Well, Direct Mode OFF and Direct Mode ON had a slightly different signature. Direct Mode OFF was a hint more musical and ever so slightly warm. Direct Mode ON sounded a bit cold and dry. Even the Fidelio X2 sounded just a hint bass shy with Direct Mode On to me compared to other dac/amps I've used. It's not a bass shy headphone.

So if it's true and Direct Mode OFF and ON sound the same, I assume whatever slight coloration software mode had, is now gone. This sounds like a bad thing for me, as I don't like the X7 in Direct Mode. It sucked out a little musicality and richness at least compared to software mode. I'm not talking about bass, but just a hint of warmth in general. Very slight, but noticeable. Of course, EQ settings are there, but I don't personally EQ unless it's a really bad headphone.

I haven't updated yet, and until I have a pressing need to do so, I don't think I will. I'm still on Windows 8.1 on my personal computer until all the W10 growing pains are out of the way. Two other computers in the house have W10, and I'm not ready to deal with it yet.

Thanks for your reply. I'm on OSX, and I performed the update. I do almost 100% of my listening with Direct Mode off with my X7LE. I run my X7 amp with 2 8ohm floor speakers in my bedroom, and then I run optical out to my living room system through the wall. Often I listen in one room and come back into the other and just have both systems going or turn the volume up from my iMac or the X7 if I move to the bedroom to get on the computer or hang out.

Direct Mode lowers the volume and is indeed a bit drier. Perhaps it's cleaner in some ways, but it lacks the punch of the stereo software mode. I  didn't notice any difference listening this weekend and just did a test with a 24/96 DSD rip of the Allmans' Whipping Post from At Fillmore East. There's always been an - ever so slightly - higher noise floor IMO with Direct Mode off, but there's certainly a warmer, fuller sound with software stereo mode and that still exists after upgrading. At a minimum, software stereo mode is louder (which is its own issue for me personally, as the digital volume controls in OSX are not as granular as what Windows offers), but I certainly think the software stereo mode is different than direct mode. Hopefully some others who have upgraded can share their own experiences. And while I stated this with speaker usage, the same applies with my K7XX, regardless of whether I EQ with the X7 software or not.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #966 of 3,608
Hi... Sorry it was a bit rushed as it was past my bedtime here in the UK :)

Yes, as MLE states... This is after the new firmware it appears to have the same sound signature as having SBX off & ticking the direct mode on & off whilst listening to a source via Spotify. I know the source is not a great stream or bit rates but before there was a click from the box (a relay sound), now there is nothing ?

If anyone else could try this to see if its down to set up or something I've not done ?

Creative Win10 drivers on Win10
I hard reset my settings so most are at stock.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #967 of 3,608
Direct Mode is indeed cleaner from my old tests, but I found software mode to do just fine in terms of an inaudible noise floor. I've always swayed towards warmer side, so the coldness of Direct Mode doesn't appeal to me, unless a headphone is too warm. I can certainly see me using Direct Mode if I had some headphones I have used in the past prior to owning the X7. Just not with my X2.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #968 of 3,608
The direct mode with my AKG712's was the same dryness too when switching from software to direct mode before the FW update. Now it's like having the direct mode with software (ie no SBX enabled).

Will test again later if I get a chance.

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #969 of 3,608
The direct mode with my AKG712's was the same dryness too when switching from software to direct mode before the FW update. Now it's like having the direct mode with software (ie no SBX enabled).

Will test again later if I get a chance.

Might be a Windows driver issue cause they are undoubtedly different modes running with OSX. It's not even a question that I'm hearing different sound from the software stereo and direct modes.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #970 of 3,608
So the Headphone outs and the Front left/right RCA outs use the Burr-Brown PCM1794 Chip and the rest of the analog outs use the 2x PCM1793 ? Can someone confirm this ?

Edit: and the RCA outs aren't amped right ? they are pre-amp ?

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #971 of 3,608
  So the Headphone outs and the Front left/right RCA outs use the Burr-Brown PCM1794 Chip and the rest of the analog outs use the 2x PCM1793 ? Can someone confirm this ?

Edit: and the RCA outs aren't amped right ? they are pre-amp ?

Specs says so, and yes, the RCA outputs are line-level.

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #973 of 3,608
  what does line level mean ?

Standard unamplified signal accepted by amps and self-powered speakers as input.

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #974 of 3,608
  what does line level mean ?

It's the signal that typically is found after the preamplifier stage and before the amplifier that powers your speakers. You can't control the volume of the line level output with the X7. It is controlled by whatever component you run the RCA inputs to.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #975 of 3,608
Hi everyone, I just got my new x7 LE and I'm loving it so far.  I have a pair of HD800's and looking where to buy the OPA827's and a kit to remove the old amps.  Can someone plz help me out?  Much appreciated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back