Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Dec 13, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #1,187 of 3,608
I would just like Creative to at least respond with a definitive 'We couldn't implement the Headphone Surround through RCA/SPDIF out', so we could at least move on from all this.

I personally no longer need it as I use the X7 for all my DAC/AMP duties and don't see myself buying anything else for the foreseeable future (I'm kind of over audio stuff).

However, this is a feature that would undoubtedly be popular in the future do to so many people here having other gear they could use with the X7, like better DACs, or better amps, tube amps, etc.

Creative finally sees the need to put the option on their newer product, so that's a good sign for the future. Us X7 owners may be out of luck though.

HELLO CREATIVE 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,188 of 3,608
here is a problem that I have with X7 : 

I have my X7 connected to my G109S amp through RCA outs at the back and I have my headphone connected to the 3.5mm headphone jack at the front, the problem is when I turn the X7 on with both the amp and headphone connected, X7 automatically switches to speaker mode, I have to unplug and plug back the headphone for it to go to headphone mode....does anyone else have this problem, ? 

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #1,190 of 3,608
I'm used to PC soundcards so the SQ of the Mixamp was always not easy to stomach.
Had a Xonar Essence STX for 2 years and it gave me the best DHP experience. When I ABed with the Mixamp it was night and day, it was downright horrible in comparison but the Mixamp was the best affordable solution.

I'm glad the x7 exists, it's overall massively superior minus the lack of wireless.

It only needs the Headphone Surround Line Out/Optical Out feature of the G5 to become the supreme gaming device. (DTS wouldn't hurt though, come on guys...AC3 only in 2015?)

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #1,191 of 3,608
I would just like Creative to at least respond with a definitive 'We couldn't implement the Headphone Surround through RCA/SPDIF out', so we could at least move on from all this.

I personally no longer need it as I use the X7 for all my DAC/AMP duties and don't see myself buying anything else for the foreseeable future (I'm kind of over audio stuff).

However, this is a feature that would undoubtedly be popular in the future do to so many people here having other gear they could use with the X7, like better DACs, or better amps, tube amps, etc.

Creative finally sees the need to put the option on their newer product, so that's a good sign for the future. Us X7 owners may be out of luck though.

This is what you need to do CREATIVE. Though i don't get why it couldn't be done since X7 is the flagship, if it's not doable then say it's not.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,192 of 3,608
here is a problem that I have with X7 : 

I have my X7 connected to my G109S amp through RCA outs at the back and I have my headphone connected to the 3.5mm headphone jack at the front, the problem is when I turn the X7 on with both the amp and headphone connected, X7 automatically switches to speaker mode, I have to unplug and plug back the headphone for it to go to headphone mode....does anyone else have this problem, ? 

That's the jack sensing.I leave my headphones plugged in and switch via the control panel or app on my phone.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #1,193 of 3,608
but the thing is, I can't switch to headphone mode, I have to unplug and plug back. The bottom left of the control panel has the speaker/headphone switch but when I turn the X7 on it is set to speakers and I can't switch to headphone, it is locked. I have to unplug anf plug back in in order to change to headphone mode.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #1,194 of 3,608
Oh, yeah, that is weird. I had a pretty similar issue with my 1/4" adapter on my 400S's, but once I started using the normal 3.5mm, it went away and I just leave it plugged in all the time. But yeah, thats weird.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #1,195 of 3,608
I'm used to PC soundcards so the SQ of the Mixamp was always not easy to stomach.
Had a Xonar Essence STX for 2 years and it gave me the best DHP experience. When I ABed with the Mixamp it was night and day, it was downright horrible in comparison but the Mixamp was the best affordable solution.

I'm glad the x7 exists, it's overall massively superior minus the lack of wireless.

It only needs the Headphone Surround Line Out/Optical Out feature of the G5 to become the supreme gaming device. (DTS wouldn't hurt though, come on guys...AC3 only in 2015?)

yeah, i used the stx on my pc for a long time and loved it.  for me, it was the ultimate sound solution.  obviously i'm trying to hit that level with the ps4 as well.  i'm just wondering if the x7 will still give me that same chat functionality too as long as i buy the bluetooth adapter... for the price i want better sq and to keep my functionality.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,196 of 3,608
  yeah, i used the stx on my pc for a long time and loved it.  for me, it was the ultimate sound solution.  obviously i'm trying to hit that level with the ps4 as well.  i'm just wondering if the x7 will still give me that same chat functionality too as long as i buy the bluetooth adapter... for the price i want better sq and to keep my functionality.

I think today is the last day for deals at Creative Labs. You should just jump onto the X7 (LE) and sell your Mixamp. Despite AC3 only it's miles better. If you are still on PC then you will get an experience that is better than the STX. Win/Win imo. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #1,198 of 3,608
Why do you recommend the LE?

I've done a lot of reading on it and the LE has a lower output impedance (1.0 v. 2.2) and has a better power supply for driving speakers. That said, most reviews don't note much difference between the two for headphone out, and the detailed review here claims the noise floor is actually better on the standard edition. Unless you're going to be running extremely sensitive IEMs or difficult to drive speakers, I'd use the EXTRA25 coupon code and buy the standard for 274.99 USD.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,199 of 3,608
I've done a lot of reading on it and the LE has a lower output impedance (1.0 v. 2.2) and has a better power supply for driving speakers. That said, most reviews don't note much difference between the two for headphone out, and the detailed review here claims the noise floor is actually better on the standard edition. Unless you're going to be running extremely sensitive IEMs or difficult to drive speakers, I'd use the EXTRA25 coupon code and buy the standard for 274.99 USD.

Had no idea about the coupon, thanks!

So I have a desktop mic I want to use.  It is 3.5mm, so I can just plug into x7 directly like my mixamp I believe?  Then I'll be running my Sennheiser RS 180 off the x7.  Do i need the BT-W2 attachment?  I do not see why I would, but I want to make sure I can adjust and mix the chat functionality just like my mixamp.

Thanks again!

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,200 of 3,608
Had no idea about the coupon, thanks!

So I have a desktop mic I want to use.  It is 3.5mm, so I can just plug into x7 directly like my mixamp I believe?  Then I'll be running my Sennheiser RS 180 off the x7.  Do i need the BT-W2 attachment?  I do not see why I would, but I want to make sure I can adjust and mix the chat functionality just like my mixamp.

Thanks again!

You'll need a Bluetooth dongle if you want it for use with the ps4. Yes, a 3.5 mm mic will work fine, and you're able to mix game and voice a la the Mixamp by using the panel in Windows or iOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back