Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Oct 26, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #1,081 of 3,608

I can't say I am dealing with 2 or 3. It sounds like a defective unit. Can't speak on Windows 10 either as I'm still on 8.1.

Have you tried updating the firmware? The last firmware release was late September.

As for 1, my sticker eventually fell off. Honestly, that design is flimsy as hell. Why they would use a sticker, instead of just building the stand bracing directly onto the back of the device, is beyond me.

I agree, what do you do, their service is fairly poor. Trying to reach them is like trying to get a hold of jesus and he died 2,000 years ago just about....

IT takes 2 days to get a response. Too bad a company like EVGA is not around, their service is 24 hrs a day.

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,082 of 3,608
Finally sold my Schiit stack. Great bunch of products that got me into audio in the first place. Unfortunately they were made obsolete by the X7. I'll miss them.

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,083 of 3,608
Now, where's that Headphone Surround optical pass-through...
Why, Creative, why? 
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,087 of 3,608
Finally sold my Schiit stack. Great bunch of products that got me into audio in the first place. Unfortunately they were made obsolete by the X7. I'll miss them.

Hey, Yethal, I'm sure the SBX7 is a superior device for gaming, but does it stack up with a two-piece setup like yours in the $400 range for music duties?

I'm debating whether to replace my X7 with the new G5, and pocket the difference. I also have an Oppo HA-2 for music, which serves my nicely, is portable, sounds great, and has enough juice to power anything I have.

Thanks, as always.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #1,088 of 3,608
I mean, my Schiit Bifrost Uber has basically been gathering dust since I got the X7. The DAC might've been better, but on a subjective level they were so close and the X7 setup by itself was much more convenient, so... I probably should sell my Bifrost, but I've got friends egging me on to get the MultiBit upgrade :wink:
I'd like to use a higher-end amp that's a bit more refined for some of my headphones, but basically the X7's built-in amp is already a practical solution before diminished returns. We'll see how I feel when my Liquid Carbon gets in and I get to spend some quality solo time with that :wink:

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,089 of 3,608
Hey, Yethal, I'm sure the SBX7 is a superior device for gaming, but does it stack up with a two-piece setup like yours in the $400 range for music duties?

I'm debating whether to replace my X7 with the new G5, and pocket the difference. I also have an Oppo HA-2 for music, which serves my nicely, is portable, sounds great, and has enough juice to power anything I have.

Thanks, as always.

I had a Schiit Magni in front of me, and a Sound Blaster Omni in front of me, both hooked up to my favorite amp and headphones, and I couldn't hear an improvement in the Modi. So basically the Modi was on par with the Omni for personal enjoyment of music. Later, when I got the X7, I heard a definite improvement.

I haven't heard the new Modi, but I would bet the X7 would still outperform it.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #1,090 of 3,608
Schiit stack was great but I used it in a combo with Astro Mixamp so the entire setup consisted of four devices, connected by a dozen cables and taking up two wall outlets. And that's a headphone only setup. X7 is just so much simpler in terms of connectivity.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #1,091 of 3,608
I mean, my Schiit Bifrost Uber has basically been gathering dust since I got the X7. The DAC might've been better, but on a subjective level they were so close and the X7 setup by itself was much more convenient, so... I probably should sell my Bifrost, but I've got friends egging me on to get the MultiBit upgrade :wink:
I'd like to use a higher-end amp that's a bit more refined for some of my headphones, but basically the X7's built-in amp is already a practical solution before diminished returns. We'll see how I feel when my Liquid Carbon gets in and I get to spend some quality solo time with that :wink:

Good insight, as usual.

Let us know what you find out.

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #1,092 of 3,608
Thank you for making me feel better choosing the X7 instead of the Schiit stack.  I play PC games mostly and I find the X7 suits me more than the Schiit.  I was debating between Lyr 2 + Bifrost Uber or the X7's and I ended up getting X7 cuz it's cheaper and it's better for ppl who plays PC games like me...

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,093 of 3,608
Schiit stack was great but I used it in a combo with Astro Mixamp so the entire setup consisted of four devices, connected by a dozen cables and taking up two wall outlets. And that's a headphone only setup. X7 is just so much simpler in terms of connectivity.

I bet! I replaced my av receiver and mixamp with the x7. I still have the flexibility to use my bookshelf speakers when I watch TV with my wife.

When we move to a larger place, I'm debating whether to keep the x7, then get a simple av receiver to power those new Elac Tower speakers. I'm not sure if the X7 can juice two towers, a center channel, and a sub.

Am I better off getting a pre-amp to pair with the x7, or just keep my headphone and speaker setup separate?

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #1,094 of 3,608
I bet! I replaced my av receiver and mixamp with the x7. I still have the flexibility to use my bookshelf speakers when I watch TV with my wife.

When we move to a larger place, I'm debating whether to keep the x7, then get a simple av receiver to power those new Elac Tower speakers. I'm not sure if the X7 can juice two towers, a center channel, and a sub.

Am I better off getting a pre-amp to pair with the x7, or just keep my headphone and speaker setup separate?

Buy a powered sub and center and it should be fine.
My other gripe with the stack was that I bought the optical Modi instead of the USB Modi (better connectivity). Unfotunately my onboard soundcard is so bad that even sending out digital optical signal was too much for it. God damn you Realtek and your useless chips!

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,095 of 3,608
If you are connecting two headphones at the same time, the sound output will go through both. Is there any chance to individual channel the output just to one headphone (i.e. If on PC Headphone right output, if playing console the left headphone output).
I think it's not possible. I couldn't find any way:frowning2: That's really bad to plugin & plug out always the headphones. If there's really no way. Why? Technical?Software?
Thank you for clarification!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back