Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Apr 8, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #331 of 3,608
New Firmware released today:

This download contains an updated firmware for Sound Blaster® X7. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This download supports and is applicable for the following hardware:

Sound Blaster X7
What's New:

Added support for the E-MU XM7 passive speakers
Independent master volume setting for headphones and speaker
Supports volume control of Optical Out in standalone mode
Fixes:

Fixed USB audio playback issue on certain system
Fixed noise issue when Bluetooth® is connected and not streaming
Fixed soft audio output issue on internal mic
Fixed audio switching issue between headphones and speaker
Prevents speaker calibration from affecting headphones

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #332 of 3,608
^ Thanks. Was wondering when they were going to release new firmware.

Looks like the instructions are in the dialogue during installation.

Says something (dialogue box) about DC power being added after holding power button down during start. Forget all that. Keep it plugged in, and just hold down the power button when it asks (10 secs maybe), then it will turn blue so release. Wait until firmware upgrade success notification, then unplug then plug back in.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #333 of 3,608
Here is what I believe are essential options that we should be able to make:

1. An option for the X7 to default to a low volume level when unplugging any equipment, headphones in particular. if ANYTHING, please make this an absolute priority. The fact that the volume is completely digital and yet doesn't reset to a low point upon turning it on is a HUGE oversight. This can potentially cause some real damage to people who have swapped headphones without first lowering the volume. And especially for those with external equipment that rely on the X7 to be at max/near max volume for line level. Once they go back to plugging in a headphone to the X7 directly, say goodbye to headphones.

New firmware will have separate volume control for speaker and headphone

2. An option to enable SBX Surround for headphones for the SPDIF out and RCA out. Lots of use are using the X7 tandem with other headphone equipment and can't benefit from the headphone processing from the X7. What this means, is that we'd like for the 'Headphone option' to be manually selectable instead of it disappearing as soon as headphones are unplugged from the front. So whatever processing is going to the headphone jack, we'd like for the others as well when in software mode. If I remember correctly, the Creative X-fi go was able to send it's processed headphone surround through it's SPDIF. This shouldn't be impossible for the X7.

User can still turn on the SBX surround for SPDIF out and Line Out.

Quote:

3. An option to keep the X7 in it's selected mode. When using the Android app, it always, always defaults to software mode as soon as you go to any screen that isn't the app. Some of us use the app ONLY to control the X7, and would still like to be able to be in direct mode, instead of fearing the auto switch to software mode.

4. An option to completely disable automatic switching of settings. Sometimes we like to do things manually. The automatic switching sometimes causes issues with other programs. Lots of us like to switch our gear on the fly, which can be hard when the X7 is doing things on it's own. Basically expanding point number 3.

The device will remember its last state in PC/Mac/Android/iOS.

5. The volume knob to be a bit faster to change volume. Sometimes it takes forever to lower the volume. Like... FOREVER.

The volume control knob is velocity sensitive, ie. it will turn volume up/down faster if the knob is turned in similar manner. We have to strike a balance and avoid being too sensitive which will cause sudden surge in volume.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #335 of 3,608
was looking at this to replace an omni I had for my new computer setup. Are you guys liking it? I was more concerned as it looked very bulky and would take a lot of desk space vs the omni which had a low profile. Love to hear your input!

P.S will be using these with AKG 65 Annies and Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers paired to either surround 30" or one large format 48/55" 4k monitor / tv on an X99 platform

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #337 of 3,608
Yes, but why only DD? Kinda disappointing in 2015.

Can you provide DTS per license? Sure it might be kinda hard to manage a firmware with DTS support license-proof wise. Maybe there's a way. I'd pay just for that.

Purely speaking about DTS decoding from optical in

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #339 of 3,608

User can still turn on the SBX surround for SPDIF out and Line Out.

Not the same experience as real time DD5.1 headphone surround that the headphone out provides. I want that passed through S/PDIF 
redface.gif

Please? 
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #340 of 3,608
The device will remember its last state in PC/Mac/Android/iOS.

The volume control knob is velocity sensitive, ie. it will turn volume up/down faster if the knob is turned in similar manner
. We have to strike a balance and avoid being too sensitive which will cause sudden surge in volume.

I upgraded the firmware and it seems the volume is still directly connected to whatever the digital volume is. The control panel hasn't changed and I don't see any option to switch it. Am I missing something?

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #341 of 3,608
Not the same experience as real time DD5.1 headphone surround that the headphone out provides. I want that passed through S/PDIF :xf_eek:
Please? :frowning2:

Afaik, the DD is for the surround speaker while the sbx is virtual surround, so you don't actually use DD for headphone

I upgraded the firmware and it seems the volume is still directly connected to whatever the digital volume is. The control panel hasn't changed and I don't see any option to switch it. Am I missing something?

I think what they changed is the turn rate of the volume knob not how it controls the volume. It will still be digital volume changing

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #342 of 3,608
Afaik, the DD is for the surround speaker while the sbx is virtual surround, so you don't actually use DD for headphone

Well, it does not pass Headphone Surround then. I think we all know what I mean. 
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #344 of 3,608
Do you guys turn it on and off when you use it or just leave it on until it goes in stand-by? 

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #345 of 3,608
I was referring wanting the SBX Surround with headphone algorithm to be sent to the RCA and spdif out. What the X7 does now is NOT the headphone surround that we want. Basically whatever processing sbx is doing for the headphone jack, is the same one we want to be able to have for the rca and spdif out. I know it can be done, as Asus does it with their U3 and I believe you guys have a rough equivalent of a small external soundcard that does pass headphone surround through its spdif.

Also for the volume knib issues, I'm well aware that raising volume can be quick and easy. However, the same CAN'T be said for lowering the volume. Sometimes the X7 lags in lowering volume. You can see this when lowering the volume while looking at the software UI. The UI will lower volume very little by little at times. Going from 0-100 can take a few seconds. Going from 100-0 can take much, much, MUCH longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back