Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Apr 4, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #316 of 3,608
  earfonia, Mad Lust Envy and all thank you so much for the review, testing and helping others on this thread with technical advice etc.

You are the reason I joined this forum and just purchased a standard X7. What's left to buy is a good set of headphones!

A warm set is the preferred choice as per you recommendations, but in your opinion which would be a better choice between:

1. Philips Fidelio X2
2. HiFiMan HE-400i
3. Mr Speakers Alpha Dog

I know they're in different price ranges but if money was not an issue, which of the above do you believe is a better match with the X7??

Not MLE, but the upper two should be both really good. If gaming is the focus, the X2 gets the nod IMO.
Alpha Dog is great too for sure but have not heard it myself [nor do I have a good understanding of it], so can't comment. I think it is less musical and brighter than the upper two though it apparently sounds pretty good. MLE knows more about it 
smily_headphones1.gif

I also believe it is on the first page, no? - http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-2-17-2015

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #317 of 3,608
Thanks for that! Yes I've read the thread and to be honest Im steering towards the HE-400i as I do love bass, but I was wondering which of the three would match the X7 best.

Positional gaming is deffinately a high priority but I cant find any gaming focused reviews for the HE-400i. Just the 400s and in MLEs thread.

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #318 of 3,608
  Thanks for that! Yes I've read the thread and to be honest Im steering towards the HE-400i as I do love bass, but I was wondering which of the three would match the X7 best.

Positional gaming is deffinately a high priority but I cant find any gaming focused reviews for the HE-400i. Just the 400s and in MLEs thread.

Both are great for sure. The X2 should be more spacious and better soundstaging. The HE-400i has an intimate soundstage but images great. Bass wise, I think they should be about equal though the X2 could have a bit more and dig deeper [the 400i rolls off sooner].
As for which will match best, stock it is hard to say. You might want to roll op-amps anyway, as it might still be too bright for theses relatively neutral cans, but I can't say really. Stock, the 400i might fit slightly better but not much difference there.
TL:DR - Both are great, the X2 might be more spacious and extended on both ends, better staging. The 400I images better and the tonality might be sweater, albeit a bit closed-in.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #319 of 3,608
From reading around the internet I would have thought the HE400i has the deeper bass between the two, being a planar headphone. Surprised you said that and thanks. Will have to read up on the X2 a bit more, they are tempting.

I really want to try a planar headphone though, just so curious about how they sound.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #320 of 3,608
  earfonia, Mad Lust Envy and all thank you so much for the review, testing and helping others on this thread with technical advice etc.

You are the reason I joined this forum and just purchased a standard X7. What's left to buy is a good set of headphones!

A warm set is the preferred choice as per you recommendations, but in your opinion which would be better between:

1. Philips Fidelio X2
2. HiFiMan HE-400i
3. Mr Speakers Alpha Dog

I know they're in different price ranges but if money was not an issue, which of the above do you believe is a better match with the X7??

You're welcome!

I haven't tried Fidelio X2, so I have no idea how it sounds.
As for HE-400i and Alpha Dog, only tried a while long time ago in an exhibition, so I cannot give any comment on that as well.
Generally I do prefer warmer sounding headphones for X7. My HE5-LE is a bit too bright for X7, but the newer planar headphones from Hifiman generally less bright than HE5-LE, so could be ok for X7.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #322 of 3,608
So I got this today. It came with 7 different power cables. I sat there in bewilderment.

I will note that this does work in the Windows 10 beta. There were a few issues, but clicking the right things in the right order gets it working.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #323 of 3,608
  I'm came really quickly ! Thank you Creative...

The set up....

Connecting via BT is good but if someone calls & you're upstairs you can here the caller from your room lol

Wow, nice setup! 
How's the SB X7 driving the KEF speaker? Powerful enough?

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #324 of 3,608
Hi Earfonia, looking to pair my X7 with possibly the BS22 speakers (over the XM7). Any detailed reviews i can look at? Wondering if the amplifier is sufficient to drive it since is 80W per channel @ 6ohms while the X7 is only 50W per channel at 4ohm. Will it be better to stick with the XM7? TIA!

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #325 of 3,608
Drives them well, I don't blast them out ! As someone said before the default setting was ear bleeding. Kef are 6ohm & 10-100w, reading through the a different creative PDF Q&A they say set the unit to 4ohm. Ive also reduced the speaker's within the settings to -20db.

Headphones work well, only niggle other that the surround setting is my friends say that I break up/cut out if I speak loudly ? May be a TS issue but I'll investigate later ..

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #326 of 3,608
Hi Earfonia, looking to pair my X7 with possibly the BS22 speakers (over the XM7). Any detailed reviews i can look at? Wondering if the amplifier is sufficient to drive it since is 80W per channel @ 6ohms while the X7 is only 50W per channel at 4ohm. Will it be better to stick with the XM7? TIA!

I'm not sure for X7 driving BS22, no experience with it. Only brief experience to listen X7 driving XM7, and it was pretty good.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #327 of 3,608

Should be fine, my last post shows my speakers are higher Wattage... Creative say set to 4ohm.

Have a look here
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&q=creative%20x7%206ohm%20speakers&ei=sfcgVenkO8zlaPvcgegK&url=http://img.creative.com/files/guide/X7/SBX7_FAQ_EN.pdf&ved=0CCIQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNFAuIs_EzHTOXV11BqccSqK1DSP2w&sig2=AW-84aTtLqDNsOtGOvwbow

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #328 of 3,608
I'm not sure for X7 driving BS22, no experience with it. Only brief experience to listen X7 driving XM7, and it was pretty good.

I went for the audition @ the recent IT show and it did sound quite good but was too noisy to provide a better evaluation. And not too sure if it will be a good option for a near field set-up by Andi's. Using the combo for my PC set-up in my room. Also, intending to add an active subwoofer into the mix eventually. Guess i should stick with XM7s (when it gets delivered) and see how i like it first before jumping to the BS22.

Should be fine, my last post shows my speakers are higher Wattage... Creative say set to 4ohm.

Have a look here
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&q=creative%20x7%206ohm%20speakers&ei=sfcgVenkO8zlaPvcgegK&url=http://img.creative.com/files/guide/X7/SBX7_FAQ_EN.pdf&ved=0CCIQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNFAuIs_EzHTOXV11BqccSqK1DSP2w&sig2=AW-84aTtLqDNsOtGOvwbow

Thanks Andi! Saw that FAQ too. Did you manage to try the X7 with XM7 speakers? Any thoughts btw pairing with XM7 if so? 

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #329 of 3,608
At £229 here in the UK I'll probably pass on them, I think I could find some better ones for the money if I'm honest...

I've not heard them, not much has been advertised of them here in the Uk, same as the X7. The only reason I heard about the X7 was a forum review & this thread go linked here, it was earfonia's detailed review that made me switch for this.

The XM7 look like they pair well with the X7 (looking at the specs) & if you like the brand, look & you've heard them then go for them. Nothing worse that buying something else & wishing you had the other :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back