Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
May 30, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #2,957 of 3,608
Turning off SBX turns off all the "SBX" settings - Surround, Crystalizer, Bass, Smart Volume, Dialog Plus

Any EQ will still be applicable, but any sound effects will be disabled.

May 30, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #2,958 of 3,608
Turning off SBX turns off all the "SBX" settings - Surround, Crystalizer, Bass, Smart Volume, Dialog Plus

Any EQ will still be applicable, but any sound effects will be disabled.

In order to get simulated surround SBX Surround must be enabled right? Xbox One has Netflix movies in Dolby Digital im wondering if SBX needs to be enabled in order to Enjoy Dolby Digital

May 30, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,959 of 3,608
Using the X7 you would need to have SBX on to have it virtualise surround.

I think the XBox also has inbuilt virtual surround for headphones (Atmos for headphones or windows sonic????) which could also do simulated surround. Neither of those would be used in conjunction with SBX on the X7.

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #2,960 of 3,608
Hi all, first time post here and thanks for the massive amount of infomation which is accumulated on this thread and board.

I've owned the X7 and Q701 headphones for a couple of years now and moved on from PS4 to PC gaming primarlily. I have a couple of questions and looking for advise specifically to my setup.

- Is there any quality issue when listening to music with the speaker settings in Windows 7 set to 5.1 instead of 2.0, e.g better sampling rate when running stereo output from Windows 7, or should I just leave windows settings in 5.1 and forget about it when listening to music?
- I've read the op amp reccomendations and considering an upgrade to sparkos.
- Can anyone reccomend an amp that will have better sound than the X7?
- Should I look into getting better headphones before considering upgrading the X7 or buying an additional AMP for music?

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #2,961 of 3,608
Hi all, first time post here and thanks for the massive amount of infomation which is accumulated on this thread and board.

I've owned the X7 and Q701 headphones for a couple of years now and moved on from PS4 to PC gaming primarlily. I have a couple of questions and looking for advise specifically to my setup.

- Is there any quality issue when listening to music with the speaker settings in Windows 7 set to 5.1 instead of 2.0, e.g better sampling rate when running stereo output from Windows 7, or should I just leave windows settings in 5.1 and forget about it when listening to music?
- I've read the op amp reccomendations and considering an upgrade to sparkos.
- Can anyone reccomend an amp that will have better sound than the X7?
- Should I look into getting better headphones before considering upgrading the X7 or buying an additional AMP for music?

1. No but there is a quality difference between Direct Mode on and Direct Mode off so enable it for music and disable for gaming (if quality difference is big enough for you to bother)
2. As a fellow Sparkos owner I can say that they're definitely worth it.
3. There are loads of them, give us a price point to work with
4. Yes

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #2,962 of 3,608
Thanks for the advice.

I'm thinking an amp in the price range of Schiit Jotunheim, or maybe a tube amp, however i have zero experience with those. I'm not too worried about the cost if it will be a "lifetime" investment. I came across the Atrox V2 while browsing today which seems like a good deal. I'm not going to upgrade unless it will be a step up from the X7.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,963 of 3,608
Thanks for the advice.

I'm thinking an amp in the price range of Schiit Jotunheim, or maybe a tube amp, however i have zero experience with those. I'm not too worried about the cost if it will be a "lifetime" investment. I came across the Atrox V2 while browsing today which seems like a good deal. I'm not going to upgrade unless it will be a step up from the X7.
I think you would have to define what an upgrade means to you. Do you also listen to music much, or really just gaming?

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #2,966 of 3,608
Been using the X7 for a couple of months now and I like it.

For music I use direct mode but noticed that the volume steps are weird in it.
With direct mode, below 25 volume there is no sound from my TH-X00. Volume increase from 25-35 has really low change.
36 is clearly louder and 36-41 is the same volume. At 42 its again noticeably louder. (At 42 it is already as loud as I would be comfortable with)
Normal gain on Mac.

Is this normal? Without direct mode the volume is actually 100 steps as it should be. (And generally a bit louder with lower volume setting)

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #2,967 of 3,608
Been using the X7 for a couple of months now and I like it.

For music I use direct mode but noticed that the volume steps are weird in it.
With direct mode, below 25 volume there is no sound from my TH-X00. Volume increase from 25-35 has really low change.
36 is clearly louder and 36-41 is the same volume. At 42 its again noticeably louder. (At 42 it is already as loud as I would be comfortable with)
Normal gain on Mac.

Is this normal? Without direct mode the volume is actually 100 steps as it should be. (And generally a bit louder with lower volume setting)
Leave the X7 on High Gain at all times. The gain switch is actually a voltage limiter

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #2,969 of 3,608
Leave the X7 on High Gain at all times. The gain switch is actually a voltage limiter

I did think of trying it but was nervous when the X7 warns you of damaging your headphones if they are not 600 ohms.

All of my headphones are 25-32 ohms with 90-100 db efficiency so haven't tried high gain yet.

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #2,970 of 3,608
I did think of trying it but was nervous when the X7 warns you of damaging your headphones if they are not 600 ohms.

All of my headphones are 25-32 ohms with 90-100 db efficiency so haven't tried high gain yet.
Just start with very low volume and work your way up. Normal Gain is pretty useless on the X7 as it's not actually a gain switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back