Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion PCIe supports DTS and Dolby?
Jan 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ahereon

New Head-Fier
Hi audiophiles, 

I'm new at the forum, my name is John, I'm from Argentina, and recently found out about this forum, I got a lot of relevant and useful information from it.
I'm in the process of putting together a gaming and entertainment rig, I want to watch HD Movies and be able to pass through a digital signal to my Sony 5.2 Receiver. I need to know if this card can do that, encode or just pass.through a DTS or Dolby signal that my receiver can decode. 
Also the EAX and the front panel I/O it's good. 
I do not want to spent a lot of money (here the imports are closed, thanks to our noob president, and it has to be brought from Miami), and see that I can't watch a DVD Movie, or a MKV 720p or 1080p movie with this card, and not get digital 5.1 true separated channels via digital output. The card has an optical digital output...

I hope my english it's good enough so you guys can understand me, and give me a hand here.

Thanks,

John

BTW, this is the card: http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Recon3D-Fatal1ty-Champion/M/B0060SXDRI.htm

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi. Yes, this card will work. Dolby/DTS encoding is a fairly common feature, and most motherboard optical-outs can pass along a Dolby/DTS signal as well. If Dolby/DTS is your only concern, you could probably get away with a much cheaper card that doesn't have all the gaming feature of the X-Fi. Also keep in mind that blu ray encoded Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD with 5.1 HD channels cannot be passed over optical cable, only HDMI has the bandwith for it. Just thought I'd mention that incase you have blu rays. You can get Dolby HD from your graphic card though, which can output 5.1 HD audio via the same HDMI port that delivers video to the receiver. (so even graphic cards can pass along Dolby now... it's mainly a software feature that companies pay Dolby licensing fees for, so it's quite common).

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi. Yes, this card will work. Dolby/DTS encoding is a fairly common feature, and most motherboard optical-outs can pass along a Dolby/DTS signal as well. If Dolby/DTS is your only concern, you could probably get away with a much cheaper card that doesn't have all the gaming feature of the X-Fi. Also keep in mind that blu ray encoded Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD with 5.1 HD channels cannot be passed over optical cable, only HDMI has the bandwith for it. Just thought I'd mention that incase you have blu rays. You can get Dolby HD from your graphic card though, which can output 5.1 HD audio via the same HDMI port that delivers video to the receiver. (so even graphic cards can pass along Dolby now... it's mainly a software feature that companies pay Dolby licensing fees for, so it's quite common).

Thanks for your reply, so I can rest easy that this card is going to give me DTS and Dolby support. I also want it for gaming purposes, so it's a good choice I think. 
I don't have a Dolby True HD decoder, so there's no worries about that. I only wanted it to have DTS and Dolby 5.1 support :)
I will take into consideration buying a good optical cable to output from the Card to the Receiver.

Thanks!!!

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Thanks for your reply, so I can rest easy that this card is going to give me DTS and Dolby support. I also want it for gaming purposes, so it's a good choice I think. 
I don't have a Dolby True HD decoder, so there's no worries about that. I only wanted it to have DTS and Dolby 5.1 support :)
I will take into consideration buying a good optical cable to output from the Card to the Receiver.

Thanks!!!

What is the model number for the Sony receiver?
What make and model motherboard are you using?
What make and model graphics card are you using?

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
What is the model number for the Sony receiver?
What make and model motherboard are you using?
What make and model graphics card are you using?

Sony STR-K685 (5.2 channels)
ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Why would I use the digital output in the motherboard if I'm buying a Sound Blaster card !!!)
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5

Greetings

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Sony STR-K685 (5.2 channels)
ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Why would I use the digital output in the motherboard if I'm buying a Sound Blaster card !!!)
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5

Wanted to know everything just in case I see a better connection, like if your receiver came with HDMI input.
(to use HDMI to connect the graphics card to the receiver)
Or if the motherboard came with DDL.
But it looks like the receiver is several years old, from before HDMI.
But does have decoding for the S/PDIF inputs.

So far I can not find anything that say the Recon3D come with DTS, only DDL.
The older Titanium (non-HD) does come with DDL and DTS-Connect.

A third party program that comes with DTS-Connect might be able to send the audio signal out thru the Recon3D S/PDIF or motherboard S/PDIF.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Wanted to know everything just in case I see a better connection, like if your receiver came with HDMI input.
(to use HDMI to connect the graphics card to the receiver)
Or if the motherboard came with DDL.
But it looks like the receiver is several years old, from before HDMI.
But does have decoding for the S/PDIF inputs.

So far I can not find anything that say the Recon3D come with DTS, only DDL.
The older Titanium (non-HD) does come with DDL and DTS-Connect.

A third party program that comes with DTS-Connect might be able to send the audio signal out thru the Recon3D S/PDIF or motherboard S/PDIF.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the Specifications of the sound card on Creative's web. They don't state anything regarding support of DTS and Dolby. And I don't even think Dolby Digital Live it's the same as the common Dolby 5.1.
I don't know...
Yep, the receiver decodes DTS and Dolby, it does not have HDMI. Only S/PDIF IN and one Optical IN. I have the DirecTV connected to the Optical input, and the computer in the S/PDIF Coaxial input. It's an old receiver, but it has a good sound, in adition, the room it's all wooden made, sound awesome.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the Specifications of the sound card on Creative's web. They don't state anything regarding support of DTS and Dolby. And I don't even think Dolby Digital Live it's the same as the common Dolby 5.1.
I don't know...
Yep, the receiver decodes DTS and Dolby, it does not have HDMI. Only S/PDIF IN and one Optical IN. I have the DirecTV connected to the Optical input, and the computer in the S/PDIF Coaxial input. It's an old receiver, but it has a good sound, in adition, the room it's all wooden made, sound awesome.

I guess DDL (Dolby Digital live) is an "optional" subsection of Dolby Digital.

So, it looks like the older Titanium's and the new Z series sound cards come with DTS-Connect, but not the Recon3Ds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back