Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jul 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #736 of 3,462
Quote:
Being a CE major that just finished up Analog Circuits, what type of op amp design did you use for a sound card? 

When I mean modules, I just mean opamps put onto adapters PCB's for use in this soundcard.
Although I am considering designing an add on PCB, so I can use opamps for the other channels that are SOIC's.

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #737 of 3,462
Quote:
do you mind sharing your exact sbx pro studio settings plz ?  

Quote:
"SBX Surround off" with TF2 as in the YT video is ok/normal during "legacy surround 1" due to OpenAL/DS3D (automatically), I am not sure if the uploader did everything right during setup. In any other game you would get stereo if you'd disable SBX. Like BF3 for instance. Just testing loudspeaker signals in the windows audio panel (5.1) is enough to notice that of course.

SBX is bassier than CMSS-3D where the bass is noticably toned down, not surprising. With the Z(xR) panel you can correct this perfectly for your taste. I wouldn't touch it for Singleplayer, I understand it for competitive gameplay.

SBX Is superior to Dolby Headphone. It trumps it in every department plus it gives legacy support which no DHP card does right. If you're on PC then SBX is the way to go. That's not 100% of the truth however:

CMSS-3D is old and outdated for modern times, it affects SQ and tonality negatively. "Tin can" is one of the best fitting terms. It gets worse the better your setup is. I am using the HD 800, the more forgiving (and funnier) Signature DJ and the PC360. The effect on the SQ is noticable on every decent headphone. SBX is much better in this regard. It's quite a difference.

Quote:
do you mind sharing your exact sbx pro studio settings plz ?  

BUMP !!!!

:)

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #738 of 3,462
So I finally upgraded and bought a pair of DT770's pro 250 ohm to match with my sbz. I was worried they would be underpowered but to my delight that was far from true. The clarity and response is amazing. There is no overpowering of any frequency to another, although that is why I bought the 250 ohm version.

I still plan on buying the zxr once I sell my z. Just wondering if anyone here has these headphones paired with the zxr. What are your opinions?

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #739 of 3,462
Jul 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #740 of 3,462
New drivers.

ZxR:
http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=12829

Zx/Z:
http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=12828

It looks like ASIO is more stable, no more timeouts (so far).

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #741 of 3,462
Quote:
I will swap all the opamps on my ZXR to Muses01.
http://semicon.njr.co.jp/eng/MUSES/MUSES01.html

They should work , right?

I could be wrong but i think it depends on how much voltage the card's voltage caps or regulator's can supply to the op-amps if they work well or not.  Prolly best to wait for some one who tried the muse on a sound card or some other sound device that doesn't have the voltage caps and components like the Asus E1. So you can make sure so you don't get stuck with something you cant use. I sure they would prolly either get hot or don't work that well if it cant.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #742 of 3,462
So why are all ppl all on the SoundBlaster ZxR card? I thought the HT Omega Claro Halo is the best sounding card on the market? regardless of the old PCI connector.
I'm looking for a new sound card in the $200+ range. So any suggestion is appreciated. I have the Beyerdyanmic DT 990 Pro headphones, so I'm not using speakers.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #743 of 3,462
They're on this card because it has (FWIR) record-breaking SNR for a sound card and the first strong new effort in several years, plus the headphone surround has (opinion) improved positional effects.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #744 of 3,462
What is FWIR? Is SNR really that important? I mean higher is better, but most of the time it doenst do anything. Doens't the HT Omega Claro Halo has surround Dolby headphone too? I Know the ZxR has improved the surround, but how does it compare to the Halo? Because I don't see how the ZxR is better than the Halo.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #745 of 3,462
Quote:
What is FWIR? Is SNR really that important? I mean higher is better, but most of the time it doenst do anything. Doens't the HT Omega Claro Halo has surround Dolby headphone too? I Know the ZxR has improved the surround, but how does it compare to the Halo? Because I don't see how the ZxR is better than the Halo.

Thanks for pointing it out, this is maybe the last option I might still have to give a try, neither ASUS or Creative cards seem to work out too well for me, otherwise I will just be using Realtek ALC1150 (115dB SNR, quite high for onboard) on the new Intel Z87 chipset mobo that arrives today. In fact if some1 had a Halo lying around I'd swap it for the ZxR.

EDIT: Is the Halo stereo only? I'd want a card that at least internally is able to process 5.1 signals (doesn't need the analog outputs). Some of the games I regularly play require speaker config set to 5.1 speakers for the positional sound to work nice.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #746 of 3,462
Quote:
I could be wrong but i think it depends on how much voltage the card's voltage caps or regulator's can supply to the op-amps if they work well or not.  Prolly best to wait for some one who tried the muse on a sound card or some other sound device that doesn't have the voltage caps and components like the Asus E1. So you can make sure so you don't get stuck with something you cant use. I sure they would prolly either get hot or don't work that well if it cant.

Thank you for replying.

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #747 of 3,462
Hi,

I just bought a Creative ZxR + a PC360 (planning on Q701 soon) and I can't find the correct settings on gaming... I'm playing mainly FPS, and i need to boost the footsteps, reloading from ennemies (pinpoint accuracy).... but not sacrifying others sounds... and have a nice surround effects and soundstage.  I'm new in audiophile area, and i dont know the differents terms etc.... I need some help please! Thanks !

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #748 of 3,462
Yesterday I bought this fine sounding card, but when I plug in my Little Dot MK III in the RCA outs on the card and then plug my HD 650 into the amp it won't let me use the headphone settings nor will it enable the fake surround. When watching movies and playing games it's pure stereo.

Have anyone else noticed this? I'm doing a straight A > B with the card and the headphones right now to be able to use the surround function. I'm really at my wits end here.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #749 of 3,462
That because when your using the speakers setting it is outputting thru the RCA and line outs, when you switch to headphone it cuts off the RCAs and line outs and only output sound thru the headphone out. THats how it was design. You have to use the speaker settings to use the RCA outs on the card.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #750 of 3,462
That because when your using the speakers setting it is outputting thru the RCA and line outs, when you switch to headphone it cuts off the RCAs and line outs and only output sound thru the headphone out. THats how it was design. You have to use the speaker settings to use the RCA outs on the card.

I gathered as much after fiddling around with the settings, but it's still weird that the virtual surround is practically non-existant when using the RCA out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back