Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jun 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #691 of 3,462
Quote:
ok guys, plz give  these settings a shot and post back !  they're supposed give very good positioning, ever better  than this  video 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu4MPJ08w1k&src_vid=3HHKHJmTytQ&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_75563

game  "5.1" 
windows "5.1"
creative control panel "headphones"
cinematic -> dts -> dts neo pc -> cinema mode ( http://postimg.org/image/mdb8nud1p/ ) 

Quote:
OK I've played around with the DTS setting and I'm glad I decided to give it a retry as this DTS thing works pretty good. I actually prefer the music mode for both gaming AND music listening, it sounds good with music as well (very subtle change and gives you a more "surround" experience but without any typically added SQ hits at all!). The best width setting when using music mode for me is 2nd highest step to the right of the slider (narrow).

However the claustrophobic sound still remains no matter how I set it up from speakers to headphone to everything disabled to all kinds of surround settings enabled etc :frowning2: it feels so weird playing games like UT3 like I've played like over 3000 hrs and now how it sounds on the ALC889A when using 5.1 speakers which just sounds way more open and the positioning is excellent too.

I might be missing something, but after reading the note for the "cinematic" tab isn't the two DSPs only supposed to work for SPDIF Out? I might be missing something here or my reading comprehension is bad. I did get sound to come out of my headphones after enabling one of the DSPs, but I don't know if it working as intended. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #692 of 3,462
Quote:
I might be missing something, but after reading the note for the "cinematic" tab isn't the two DSPs only supposed to work for SPDIF Out? I might be missing something here or my reading comprehension is bad. I did get sound to come out of my headphones after enabling one of the DSPs, but I don't know if it working as intended. 

I was worried about that too but I always use my ears to verify and disregard what it says. My ears says it works, maybe not in the intended way? But it does SOMETHING with the signal and that something works pretty good.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #693 of 3,462
Quote:

I was worried about that too but I always use my ears to verify and disregard what it says. My ears says it works, maybe not in the intended way? But it does SOMETHING with the signal and that something works pretty good.

Yeah, I feel that same way, there is a difference, but if it is the "intended" effect? I don't know.

Using it for BF3/CSS, I feel like the positional audio is much better than using something like SBX which I am not too fond of because of the echoey effect it adds.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #694 of 3,462
Where the heck did you guys find a "cinematic" tab? 
blink.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #696 of 3,462
Needs the addon card installed too for that cinema tab to appear . Seems like it streams between the devices to be able to use DTS like that via headphone-out, something like how VAC would work. I wouldn't be suprised if this was hacked in some way to be able to exploit it for even more uses, like no need for VAC, just use the DB Pro card as substitute.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #697 of 3,462
Thanks a lot! I don't have the add-on card installed so that would be the reason I'm not seeing it. I didn't think I could use it for anything so I simply left it in the box, just like the ACM.
Interesting to hear, no I'll have a reason to take them out and give them a try :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #698 of 3,462
Quote:
Thanks a lot! I don't have the add-on card installed so that would be the reason I'm not seeing it. I didn't think I could use it for anything so I simply left it in the box, just like the ACM.
Interesting to hear, no I'll have a reason to take them out and give them a try :)

Yea I didn't have the 2nd one installed either so was wondering the same thing as you so had to google it. I think this is probably why the DTS works "universally" on anything you playback as it probably streams the signal between these 2 cards so that automaticly every signal gets the DTS processing applied no matter what sound is played, at least this is theoretically the only possibility how I could assume it would work and why it needs that 2nd card installed for the cinematic tab to appear too. It's very similiar to runing VAC (virtual audio cable) and then running a VST host with some VST plugins so that the VST plugin is applied to every audio that is being playbacked.

I'm still gonna sell my ZxR card if I can even find any buyers (people say you can always sell on the forums if you're not satisfied with your purchase, a bit more difficult if you're from Finland though where shipping to US isn't a viable option due to expensive shipping costs)

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #699 of 3,462
Dosent have anything to do with the add-on card, you just need to have the Extras installed (DTS and Dolby), else they dont show up ofcourse :) I have the tab aswell with my regular Z, which obviously does not have a the DBPro card

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #700 of 3,462
Yea I didn't have the 2nd one installed either so was wondering the same thing as you so had to google it. I think this is probably why the DTS works "universally" on anything you playback as it probably streams the signal between these 2 cards so that automaticly every signal gets the DTS processing applied no matter what sound is played, at least this is theoretically the only possibility how I could assume it would work and why it needs that 2nd card installed for the cinematic tab to appear too. It's very similiar to runing VAC (virtual audio cable) and then running a VST host with some VST plugins so that the VST plugin is applied to every audio that is being playbacked.

I'm still gonna sell my ZxR card if I can even find any buyers (people say you can always sell on the forums if you're not satisfied with your purchase, a bit more difficult if you're from Finland though where shipping to US isn't a viable option due to expensive shipping costs)
I'd suggest MuroBBS myydään osio.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #701 of 3,462
Quote:
Dosent have anything to do with the add-on card, you just need to have the Extras installed (DTS and Dolby), else they dont show up ofcourse :) I have the tab aswell with my regular Z, which obviously does not have a the DBPro card

Well, no. I do have all the additional software still installed and there's no tab. Maybe that's one difference in the drivers between the two cards (why would there be two sets otherwise).

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #702 of 3,462
Quote:

Well, no. I do have all the additional software still installed and there's no tab. Maybe that's one difference in the drivers between the two cards (why would there be two sets otherwise).

I think it maybe works differently for the different cards. This just a guess but it may be a software emulation with Zx and Z cards and done by the hardware with ZxR... just a pure guess. But yea I DID have DTS installed with my ZxR card and it wasn't shown, only until I connected the DBPro card like I read online it would show up...

I'd suggest MuroBBS myydään osio.

Yea I've sold and bought stuff here in the past but I got less interested in the place after I got fooled. Also the ppl there are extra greedy, I won't sell this card for less than 180€ but I bet ppl will be like "150€!,  another: ok 155€, k 160€ and I pick it up! And then Z series cards are like cheaper in finland than rest of the europe, usually goes for like 225€ in germany or UK but in Finland Datava (absolutely horrible customer service, won't buy from those ever again no matter price, was fooled to pay like 18€ extra to get from another stock/importer and well it still took like 2½ months before I had the card and probably got it from the usual stock and never got that money back yet, might have to bitch with them some more as they didn't respond to my last email even) sells for 190€, anyway 180€ or I won't sell... it's only less than 15 hrs used in total.

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #703 of 3,462
Yes, it's like 250€ in Germany and close to 200€ in UK (both Amazon). Curious why Germans have to pay extra again...

I'll give the daughter board a go tomorrow. It seems to be interesting to try at least and if it really sounds even better that'd be totally worth the effort and extra space :)

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #704 of 3,462
Jun 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #705 of 3,462
hi everyone,

I just got this ZxR sound card and use it with a set of MMX 300 cans, im not that impressed with it gaming atm, I feel like the surround is not great..

I have read the whole thread.

I do not use any speakers just use my headset.

what are the ideal settings, I think iv played with all the sbx studio settings and still cant find the right spot.

@ RPGwizzard,

so what would you recommend are the ideal settings for games?

windows cp set to stereo, sbx disabled and dts set in cinematic, eq disabled? would this be your recommendation for gaming, I play games like bf3 and Arma 2/3

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back