Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Dec 16, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #3,301 of 3,462

Now, let me tell you, how it went with me and how it ended up:

First, I bought Sound Blaster Z, the cheapest, bulk version without EMI shield. It was kinda nice, but not that much satisfying as I expected, also, I wanted the external module control.
So I went and bought Sound Blaster ZxR. Now, that was better, but I had issues with hiss/noise, especially when the GPU was working (playing game). No matter where I've put the ZxR card, above, or under the GPU, the noise was there and EMI shield didn't help at all. Also, I had issue (which I did not realize before) that I have also PS4 and it was kinda hard to have both PC and PS4 reasonably plugged into my sound system, also, PS4 was unable to benefit from the ZxR card obviously. And the last thing, I somewhat could not justify the price of ZxR, especially considering the (lack of) features and issues I had.

Then, I returned the ZxR card too and bought Sound Blaster X7.
And I kept it and could not be happier.

It's really great, I have PC, PS4 and mobile phone connected at the same time to it, all benefit from X7 sound and features, all can actually play simultaneously at the same time - pretty unique feature! My headphones and speakers can stay connected all the time to it and I can just flip the switch in X7 software to switch between output. Not to mention that X7 looks pretty neat on my desk (I just wish they didn't replace red design elements with gold in the final retail version, but it's definitely not a dealbreaker).
I bought X7 for just a bit more than the ZxR cost me, so it's a win win (I paid 250USD for brand new X7 with 2 year warranty).

TLDR: X7 is basically external, significantly improved (more features) version of ZxR, that will not have issues with interference.

Maybe my experience will help you.

If you got no noise with SB Z(no shield) and noise with ZxR(with shield) then definitely something is wrong. Most probably you got a dud. ZxR is one of the quietest internal sound cards.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #3,302 of 3,462
Well, that is the thing. I cannot really say that I did not have noise issue with SB Z.
First, maybe there was, but I really did not test it out properly and second, I do not remember at all.

The noise on ZxR was especially pronounced when GPU was working, it was literally connected to the % of GPU usage, you could hear it like some bizzare GPU beepy/whizzy song if you cranked up the volume and put GPU to work.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #3,303 of 3,462
  Well, that is the thing. I cannot really say that I did not have noise issue with SB Z.
First, maybe there was, but I really did not test it out properly and second, I do not remember at all.

The noise on ZxR was especially pronounced when GPU was working, it was literally connected to the % of GPU usage, you could hear it like some bizzare GPU beepy/whizzy song if you cranked up the volume and put GPU to work.

I am guessing your PC is not grounded properly so the EMI shield is useless is this scenario. This is the only possible explanation other than the card being a dud. You should really ground your PC imo. Another possible explanation is that your case is entirely plastic so the card itself is not grounded. You need to ground it.

I have a properly grounded metal case. My ZxR is sandwiched between 2 GTX 1080s. No noise. Not one bit.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #3,305 of 3,462
  What do you mean by "not grounded properly"? It's in a damn electric socket with ground pin. And yes, the case is metal.

Just because the socket has a ground pin, doesn't mean that the house is automatically grounded

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #3,307 of 3,462
Now, let me tell you, how it went with me and how it ended up:

First, I bought Sound Blaster Z, the cheapest, bulk version without EMI shield. It was kinda nice, but not that much satisfying as I expected, also, I wanted the external module control.
So I went and bought Sound Blaster ZxR. Now, that was better, but I had issues with hiss/noise, especially when the GPU was working (playing game). No matter where I've put the ZxR card, above, or under the GPU, the noise was there and EMI shield didn't help at all. Also, I had issue (which I did not realize before) that I have also PS4 and it was kinda hard to have both PC and PS4 reasonably plugged into my sound system, also, PS4 was unable to benefit from the ZxR card obviously. And the last thing, I somewhat could not justify the price of ZxR, especially considering the (lack of) features and issues I had.

Then, I returned the ZxR card too and bought Sound Blaster X7.
And I kept it and could not be happier.

It's really great, I have PC, PS4 and mobile phone connected at the same time to it, all benefit from X7 sound and features, all can actually play simultaneously at the same time - pretty unique feature! My headphones and speakers can stay connected all the time to it and I can just flip the switch in X7 software to switch between output. Not to mention that X7 looks pretty neat on my desk (I just wish they didn't replace red design elements with gold in the final retail version, but it's definitely not a dealbreaker).
I bought X7 for just a bit more than the ZxR cost me, so it's a win win (I paid 250USD for brand new X7 with 2 year warranty).

TLDR: X7 is basically external, significantly improved (more features) version of ZxR, that will not have issues with interference.

Maybe my experience will help you.

Many thanks with the advice , and I will keep this written down on the notebook . I had read up Internal interference is one of those issues with regards to internal sound cards where some user has been experiencing and complaining about it .

Just because the socket has a ground pin, doesn't mean that the house is automatically grounded

You too , many thanks , as stated in the pm , I first got to finalise the upgrade parts needed to be used for the case , and space / slot after SSD + possible SLI configuration . Until all that has been fully sorted out , and extra slot comes into play will then I choose the best suitable sound card optionfor the rig .

And if you don't mind , it would definitely helps me in revamping the rig , can you elaborate more on the grounding for the case ? Which is the most appropriate ways to ground the case ?

Many thanks

Dec 18, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #3,310 of 3,462
  ZXR with Burson Op-Amps gives you the best sound ever.Much better than STX!I've tried everything.

You should try their Cable +, it will further upgrade your sound.

BTW, I dont like to use 2 additional DIP8 sockets for each V5 because it might effect the signal and might pickup some noise. So I cut some plastic shell off and now I can install V5 directly on ZxR

Please note:
- Try this mod at your own risks and this will void your V5 warranty.
- My PC have sufficient airflow so inside PC temperature stable around 40*C - 50*C. Therefore, the black compound inside V5 don't melt down.

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #3,311 of 3,462
Going to order the Burson opamp soon. Very very curious how much they'll improve over the stock and how it'll sound with my Sony XBAZ5 iems.

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #3,312 of 3,462
Ive used the Burson op amp V5s in my HT Omega Soundcard and noticed an imediate difference even over the V4s it wont dissapoint

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #3,315 of 3,462
PRecisely. Lots of older houses arn't grounded. However, line filters can help alot. All of my electronics are plugged into commercial-grade ESP surge protector/line filters originally intended for $50,000 commercial copiers which themselves usually retail for hundreds of dollars from my old job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back