Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Nov 28, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #3,286 of 3,462
Well, I have older, -used to be damn expensive- JVC stereo system. It's one of those old school hi-fi tower systems, but it sounds pretty neat, not like those new mediocre systems.
I also use stereo headphones (Superlux, Sony MDR1, etc.)

I have no surround system, I was thinking of buying some good one, but I can't get myself to get rid of the JVC since it sounds really great and those 200-400USD surround systems don't get any close to it (I have one Logitech at home and don't use it).

From the SBX features on my Sound Blaster E5, I use Crystallizer on some MP3/Youtube tracks since it actually does improve sound and I really like it. SBX Bass options sounds really weird and I don't use that, EQ itself is nice but not really needed in my case, just sometimes I add a bit on the low end on some tracks or games, but I can more easily turn up the bass on my JVC system.
Surround SBX option sounds really lame imo, the more you set it to, the more it sounds like from a can.

Also I wanna know, if the ZxR WILL sound better than the E5...?

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,287 of 3,462
  Well, I have older, -used to be damn expensive- JVC stereo system. It's one of those old school hi-fi tower systems, but it sounds pretty neat, not like those new mediocre systems.
I also use stereo headphones (Superlux, Sony MDR1, etc.)

I have no surround system, I was thinking of buying some good one, but I can't get myself to get rid of the JVC since it sounds really great and those 200-400USD surround systems don't get any close to it (I have one Logitech at home and don't use it).

From the SBX features on my Sound Blaster E5, I use Crystallizer on some MP3/Youtube tracks since it actually does improve sound and I really like it. SBX Bass options sounds really weird and I don't use that, EQ itself is nice but not really needed in my case, just sometimes I add a bit on the low end on some tracks or games, but I can more easily turn up the bass on my JVC system.
Surround SBX option sounds really lame imo, the more you set it to, the more it sounds like from a can.

Do you in any way use the JVC audio system with your computer?

So far I'm not seeing enough reason to use a SB-ZxR, in place of the Creative Labs E5
The SB-ZxR does have a better DAC chip and op-amps, then the E5,
but the E5 is external (less change of computer electrical noise be picked up by sound card)
and the E5's headphone amplifier has a much lower output impedance (helps with audio detail).

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #3,290 of 3,462

I'm not sure about stock op-amp, but with Burson or Sparkos op-amp upgrade, I'm sure it will be significant better than E5. With ZxR you can have fun with op-amp rolling
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #3,292 of 3,462
What do you mean by how exactly?
It is connected via RCA, I listen to music and play games, sometimes, but less than the other two, I watch some movies.

Your PC could be connected to the JVC by analog (RCA or 3.5mm) or optical or coaxial or HDMI or network
Analog connection could be anywhere from 2-channel to 6-channel.

When you say "Yes, I use JVC system with my PC exclusively" it does not really narrow down how the PC is connected to the JVC.

Most Win PC's do not have RCA analog output jacks.
So is the connection from the PC's front speaker jack (3.5mm) to the RCA input jacks on the JVC?
We can assume you play PC games in stereo (2.0) audio?

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #3,295 of 3,462
  Yes I wrote above it's connected via RCA (JVC).
To be precise, it's RCA (JVC) to 3.5mm jack (PC).
And yes, I have only stereo headphones and stereo system, so I use it as a stereo.

You might be able to improve audio quality, with the computer to JVC connection, if you bought a DAC or sound card.
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used $40-$60
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z card, used $60?
Hifimediy USB or optical DAC, $42-$70
Schiit Modi USB DAC, $100

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #3,296 of 3,462
Thanks for the tips, however, could you comment on the ZxR please? Maybe even ZxR vs E5 as I wrote before - if you have some experience with those.
Thanks.

EDIT:
Let me give you additional question:
What if I just bought Sound BlasterX G5.

I already have E5 and I expect G5 to be the same soundwise, except for the fact it does not have battery, BT and mic.

What do you think?

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #3,297 of 3,462
Dec 16, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #3,299 of 3,462
Do you in any way use the JVC audio system with your computer?

So far I'm not seeing enough reason to use a SB-ZxR, in place of the Creative Labs E5
The SB-ZxR does have a better DAC chip and op-amps, then the E5,
but the E5 is external (less change of computer electrical noise be picked up by sound card)
and the E5's headphone amplifier has a much lower output impedance (helps with audio detail).

I been using the E5 as purely for my daily OTG audio needs with my mobile through Bluetooth since July , and weeks ago inherited a 6 year old rig from one of my boys after he moved to a gaming laptop ,
Lately I been pairing up the E5 with the rig everyday when I reach home and has been enjoying movies , spotify audio , YouTube channel together with the 41ohms basshead iem aurisonics asg 2.5 , and was experiencing exceptional good quality from it .
One of the biggest single noticeable difference is I get Absolute ZERO background hissing noise floor with the above mentioned combination with the 6 yr old rig . Where normally i would get noisy hissing when E5 pair up with my mobile .

As currently I'm making preparation to extensively revamp the 6 yr old rig with a Asus deluxe 2 edition X99 MB and all cooling system + PSU , GPU etc , the last thing which I had in mind for the rig while upgrading is the internal sound card ( If there's enough slot / space left ) for it.
If there's simply no slot / space , I wouldn't mind continuing using the E5 as a external option .

So for the internal sound card , I had 2 particular ones in mind , which is the creative labs flagship ZXR , and the Asus flagship Xonar Essence STX II .
My music genres are somewhat all across , listening to almost all types of music genres , but my preference to music is always bass come first , without sacrificing the mids .

In your opinion , which are the 2 above mentioned suited best ? ZXR or Xonar E STX ?
Or do you have other sound card you had in mind for the type of my preference to introduce ?

Any inputs , help , advise is appreciated .

I'm not sure about stock op-amp, but with Burson or Sparkos op-amp upgrade, I'm sure it will be significant better than E5. With ZxR you can have fun with op-amp rolling :wink:  

Hi , as to my questions above mentioned to purpleangle , what do you think and do u have anything suitable to introduce me ?
Any inputs , help , recommendations will be greatly appreciated .

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #3,300 of 3,462

Now, let me tell you, how it went with me and how it ended up:

First, I bought Sound Blaster Z, the cheapest, bulk version without EMI shield. It was kinda nice, but not that much satisfying as I expected, also, I wanted the external module control.
So I went and bought Sound Blaster ZxR. Now, that was better, but I had issues with hiss/noise, especially when the GPU was working (playing game). No matter where I've put the ZxR card, above, or under the GPU, the noise was there and EMI shield didn't help at all. Also, I had issue (which I did not realize before) that I have also PS4 and it was kinda hard to have both PC and PS4 reasonably plugged into my sound system, also, PS4 was unable to benefit from the ZxR card obviously. And the last thing, I somewhat could not justify the price of ZxR, especially considering the (lack of) features and issues I had.

Then, I returned the ZxR card too and bought Sound Blaster X7.
And I kept it and could not be happier.

It's really great, I have PC, PS4 and mobile phone connected at the same time to it, all benefit from X7 sound and features, all can actually play simultaneously at the same time - pretty unique feature! My headphones and speakers can stay connected all the time to it and I can just flip the switch in X7 software to switch between output. Not to mention that X7 looks pretty neat on my desk (I just wish they didn't replace red design elements with gold in the final retail version, but it's definitely not a dealbreaker).
I bought X7 for just a bit more than the ZxR cost me, so it's a win win (I paid 250USD for brand new X7 with 2 year warranty).

TLDR: X7 is basically external, significantly improved (more features) version of ZxR, that will not have issues with interference.

Maybe my experience will help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back