Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Aug 5, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #2,911 of 3,462
what's the current consensus on sound cards for fps gaming? my old x-fi elite pro just kicked the bucket a couple weeks ago (some visibly busted caps, tried replacing them but didnt work :frowning2: ) and i'm looking for a replacement. through some quick searching i've been seeing some stuff about the titanium hd, but that seems to not be in production anymore?

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,912 of 3,462
The Titanium HD is not in production any more and because of that, it took a price hike and hard to find. So you might be paying alot just to get it. The other options you have is the Sound blaster Z or a used Sound blaster ZXR that i have seen go for 150-180 on ebay.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,913 of 3,462
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
  The Titanium HD is not in production any more and because of that, it took a price hike and hard to find. So you might be paying alot just to get it. The other options you have is the Sound blaster Z or a used Sound blaster ZXR that i have seen go for 150-180 on ebay.

It really sux for the Titanium HD, for me it was a deal breaker at that price. the ZXR is a good alternative and the price is reasonable!

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #2,914 of 3,462
  It really sux for the Titanium HD, for me it was a deal breaker at that price. the ZXR is a good alternative and the price is reasonable!

I have both cards, and the ZxR performs as well as the Titanium HD. I might consider selling the Titanium HD if someone has a good offer, otherwise I'm just giving to a buddy of mine.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #2,915 of 3,462
is there a fundamental difference between the z and zxr, or is it more of an incremental upgrade? for the price, the z is looking pretty good to me at its price, zxr is a bit steep. might just live off onboard sound for now until black friday rolls around and hope they go on sale :)

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #2,916 of 3,462
THe ZXR has op-amp sockets and a TPA6120A2 headphone amp which is stronger then the one that is on the Z, while the sound blaster z doesn't and just have the maximum hp amp chip which isn't adjustable.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2,917 of 3,462
  is there a fundamental difference between the z and zxr, or is it more of an incremental upgrade? for the price, the z is looking pretty good to me at its price, zxr is a bit steep. might just live off onboard sound for now until black friday rolls around and hope they go on sale :)

There are big enough differences that, if you're a gamer/audiophile, you'll want to wait for the ZxR to go on sale. I got mine for $170 on sale a while ago. If you mostly care about gaming, the Z will do fine, but music is going to sound better on the ZxR.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #2,918 of 3,462
Usually ebay some times have deals on used ZXRs if your lucky and if you trust ebay, Some times amazon.

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #2,921 of 3,462
If you have more money, get the X7, it's way better than the ZxR, even though most ppl will tell you ZxR is just as good as X7.  
I listened to both in my PC, and the X7 is the clear winner.

Buy the ZxR if you are on a budget.

And buy the Z if you just want to have sound.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #2,923 of 3,462
  Excuse me can i change the gain value of my ZXR changing the op-amp ?
my zxr gain is too strong for my HD598, how can i fix it ?

Um... it shouldn't be. Turn your volume down on the computer and/or the volume control unit and make sure you have it set to Normal Gain. I have a 598 and it works great. I also have 16 Ohm headphones that are fine on it as well.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #2,924 of 3,462
  If you have more money, get the X7, it's way better than the ZxR, even though most ppl will tell you ZxR is just as good as X7.  
I listened to both in my PC, and the X7 is the clear winner.

Buy the ZxR if you are on a budget.

And buy the Z if you just want to have sound.

I tried an X7 as well and it's better than the ZxR for music IF your computer creates noise or interferes with the ZxR in any way. I decided to get the ZxR for gaming and I have better amps for music than the X7.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #2,925 of 3,462
I finally got around to updating the ZXR driver that was released back in December 2014 (SBZxR_CD_L13_1_00_28). I was surprised to see the increase to 24/192 as an available configuration for 2.0 stereo sound:

I also finally bought the Senn HD650s I've been lusting over. IMO, these cans are a perfect match for the ZXR. I was planning to get the X7 sometime this year, but I think I'll wait, as my current setup is quite awesome!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back