Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Apr 5, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #2,793 of 3,462
If you are just talking about stereo sound this is pretty simple.  You either like the virtual surround effect or you prefer stereo, it's not complicated.  Try it and pick.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #2,794 of 3,462
  Ok but from what u writed seems that the SBX improvement is not so noticeable.

Actually the SBX surround difference is vey noticeable. I prefer stereo for stereo files & SBX surround for 5.1 surround material. Otherwise something is missing on the 5.1 surround material without SBX (the 2 side channels at the very least).

Activating SBX in surround with stereo recordings sounds a lot like Carvers Sonic Holography or Polk Audios SRS loud speakers. Everything is too big Pianos stretch from wall to wall as do drum sets with stereo material. With surround material it makes sense to turn on SBX surround as the intention of the producers is to surround you with music in a not necessarily realistic fashion.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #2,795 of 3,462
When I turn off sbx studio do I still use the card's hardware to its full potential? Or do certain parts of it turn off/ not get used?

I use 2.1 speakers. I have it set to 2.0/2.1 in sbz control panel and I noticed that windows changes to stereo mode from 5.1.   Will this affect how the surround effect works and games? (I used 5.1 headphones for games anyways. just curious about speakers)

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #2,796 of 3,462
1. Yes you do use full hardware potential without SBX. It is only some " digital enhancements" witch i find not useful, except surround in some games.. But i believe it depends on headphones or speakers one uses.
2. To get SBX surround windows settings must be 5.1 then SBX takes 5.1 signal and downmix it to cards HP or line-out witch is stereo. I didn't used speaker out though, but i believe it should work the same.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #2,797 of 3,462
I have used SBX surround on speakers & headphones. The surround effect very convincing with speakers but so much on my headphones. Windows must be set to 5.1 surround in order to down mix all channels to stereo, otherwise you miss the sounds in the channels that are not in the front hemisphere. SBX also applies something similar to Carver's sonic holography to stereo recordings as well when SBX surround is turned on with stereo recordings

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2,799 of 3,462
Use 5.1 surround and turn-off additional speakers this will set 5.1 in Win set-up automatically. Or use stereo but then set 5.1 in win manually, turn on SBX surround for virtual surround, try playing with % scale for optimal result.

Only stereo direct disables 5.1 but it enables 192 kHz playback.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,801 of 3,462
The ZXR will play 24/192 in any mode, at least for me using foobar2000 and WASAPI.  I believe Stereo Direct is just supposed to give a higher fidelity stereo sound.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,802 of 3,462
  The ZXR will play 24/192 in any mode, at least for me using foobar2000 and WASAPI.  I believe Stereo Direct is just supposed to give a higher fidelity stereo sound.

Hey, could be, but official spec. states:

Maximum Playback Quality:  

5.1 : Up to 96kHz 
Stereo Direct: Up to 192kHz
Maybe WASAPI overrides that somehow.. And in Windows sound settings i saw 192 only in stereo direct mode. And with foobar i use ASIO, i think it takes win bits and hZ's

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2,804 of 3,462
hi guys i bought akg k612 pro + soundblaster z for gaming...now i play on cs go and i m so confused...i wanna have a larger soundstage possible with better positional audio possible...then this are my questions
1)i need to put windows 5,1 or not?
2)in game 5.1 or stereo?
3)what effects i need to active in game?(sbx cristallizer)

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #2,805 of 3,462
  Hey, could be, but official spec. states:

Maximum Playback Quality:  

5.1 : Up to 96kHz 
Stereo Direct: Up to 192kHz
Maybe WASAPI overrides that somehow.. And in Windows sound settings i saw 192 only in stereo direct mode. And with foobar i use ASIO, i think it takes win bits and hZ's

I've never actually used the ASIO output option with the ZXR.  How does that sound compared to WASAPI?  Also do I need to do anything in foobar?  I don't see ASIO as an option the output device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back