Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Sep 12, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,431 of 3,462
I had the Z, later on picked up the Omni when it came out because it was also Mac compatible and more convenient to get at the ports and controls. I honestly couldn't hear a difference, both were quite good and clean-sounding. The Z was in it's return period and the Omni was cheaper, so I went with the Omni.

For looks, it's a small black thing with a few red accents, and red LEDs that aren't too hard to completely forget about when the computer is in use (since they "point" up).

Thanks for clarifying this up!

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2,432 of 3,462
Hi, so I just got my creative sound blaster Omni. I incredibly pleased with the sound quality and the remote which I wasn't aware it came with, but when I move the volume knob it makes a crackle and the same is when I switch songs with the remote, or pretty much do anything with the remote.

Is this normal? It's quite irritating and not expected for £60.

I tried different USB ports and the problem persists. I'm using the latest driver too, did a clean install.

Just an update - as evshrug suggested below I ran the firmware update and it solved all my problems. Cancelled the Amazon replacement too. Very pleased.

The Firmware update was 9 months ago so I didn't think I needed to do it and completely overlooked it. Mistakes happen!

Thanks for the response.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #2,433 of 3,462
That not normal the omni i have doesn't have that issue at all. I didn't get a remote with mine so maybe they did something different with the ones that do outside of the usa.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #2,434 of 3,462
Thanks and I don't think that's the issue. They all have the IR sensor and the remote is simply fantastic. Really really good for pausing and playing anything, it just works so well with music programs and even things like youtube. I think the sound card I got is faulty and Amazon have sent me a replacement which should be coming on Wednesday. 

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #2,435 of 3,462
I have sb OMNI and do not get any pops when adjusting the volume. The only time I have heard any pompanos during certain wasapi modes when playing music. I think cause I set 44.1khz wasapi and OMNI is 48khz. Normally no pops.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #2,436 of 3,462
hey all I just bought the Philips Fidelio X1 + V-Mode BoomPro

I'm just trying to find a solution for my PC (and hopefully console)

firstly, should I get a
Sound Blaster Z, ZX or Omni? (was even considering the Recon3D)

can I plug my PS4 optical out to them and skip using an ASTRO Mixamp altogether?

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #2,437 of 3,462
You would have to plug your ps4 into them using the line in if you want to route the PS4 audio into the Sound blaster Z or omni.  Do not get the recon3D as the Sound blaster Z is it successor. Either omni or the sound blaster Z is a good choice and the ZX is not worth it as its the same card as the Z. The omni would make it easier for you to plug in every thing as the outputs is directly on it and you can set it on your desk, so you don't gotta reach around the rear of your computer or use your case front panel plugs.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2,438 of 3,462
  You would have to plug your ps4 into them using the line in if you want to route the PS4 audio into the Sound blaster Z or omni.  Do not get the recon3D as the Sound blaster Z is it successor. Either omni or the sound blaster Z is a good choice and the ZX is not worth it as its the same card as the Z. The omni would make it easier for you to plug in every thing as the outputs is directly on it and you can set it on your desk, so you don't gotta reach around the rear of your computer or use your case front panel plugs.

thanks for the reply man!

hmm. I was wondering if I needed the Audio Control Module on the ZX so I don't have to go to the rear of my PC every single time I need to switch my headphones out to another device or something ><

I wanted to get the Omni but it seems like it's missing some inputs

the creative site lists ZX and Z having
Optical Out : 1x TOSLINK
Optical In : 1x TOSLINK
http://us.creative.com/promos/SoundBlasterZseries/

would that work?

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,439 of 3,462
I forgot the Z also had a optical input. yea that will work but be-warn the Z doesn't Decode the Dobly Digital or DTS on the input, you will have to use PCM settings on your ps4 otherwise you wont hear any thing.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #2,440 of 3,462
  I forgot the Z also had a optical input. yea that will work but be-warn the Z doesn't Decode the Dobly Digital or DTS on the input, you will have to use PCM settings on your ps4 otherwise you wont hear any thing.

thanks for the update. that's a mega bummer..
guess I still need to get Mixamp then :/

or can the Z process the Virtual Surround...? would it be better than DD5.1 or DTS?

is there any "hacks" to make our own Audio Control Module.. the convenience is appreciated

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2,441 of 3,462
Thanks for clarifying this up!

Sure thing man!
Mine has an IR port but Also didn't come with a remote, seems like a cool feature. My Omni used to make regular popping noises to my game audio (even my friend heard it over the mic stream, so it infected all audio), I was going to exchange mine too but someone suggested that, in addition to making sure my PC drivers were up to date, I should also install the firmware update (which updates inside the Omni itself). The issue (as well as optical output) was resolved after the firmware update. Something to keep in mind.

thanks for the update. that's a mega bummer..
guess I still need to get Mixamp then :/

or can the Z process the Virtual Surround...? would it be better than DD5.1 or DTS?

is there any "hacks" to make our own Audio Control Module.. the convenience is appreciated.

Like I said on Mad's guide, the Z can accept stereo optical input (and fake surround processing from that, but is more of a sound effect than accurate positioning), and of course you'd have to have both PC and console turned on. If you're looking at the Zx for convenience I'd honestly get the Omni instead.

The Recon3D USB has an optical input that can decode Dolby Digital Live surround input from consoles, or USB input from PC/Mac. A console's USB port can power the device, no computer required, and on PS3 & PS4 you get the bonus that the console recognizes the USB as a mic input. The mic gain switch works on the Playstations to make you louder. The Omni sounds better than the Recon3D USB, but the Recon3D USB sounds cleaner/clearer than a Mixamp. The recon3D USB also has a cable for connecting to an XBox 360 controller for chat audio. Reviewed in the link in my signature.

The Recon3D USB was the most convenient and versatile surround processor I've found, but these days I'm using an Omni on my PC and a Turtle Beach DSS + a Blue Snowball iCE USB mic on my PS4. I sold/gave my Recon3D USB to a friend, I simply had too many devices but I sorely missed it for how easy it made PS4 chat input. I may invest in creative's forthcoming X7 as a do-everything option, but it's a bit on the pricey side.

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #2,442 of 3,462
thanks for the reply this is much appreciated.

on Sound Blaster Z, ZX and Omni,
I am actually lining towards Omni since the optical input on Z and ZX aren't that useful anymore.
I really like the convenience on Omni... and the fact that I can use it with my MBP (if I were to do Steam In-House Streaming) helps... 
but is this more of a price question? 
I ask this because I may be able to get a ZX at rather good price... so in that case, would it still be recommended?
(or should I really just cancel my Z or ZX order and go with Omni?)

on Recon3D USB I tried looking up the prices.. woah... they are not cheap at all.
but the fact that it sounds better and clearer than the Mixamp... makes me really tempted to find one :/

other concerns/thoughts
(1) Is it wise to keep plugging in and out my X1 + BoomPro to switch between the PS4 and PC?
(2) I usually game with both my PC and console on (as in when my console is on, PC is usually on as well for Twitch/Streaming)

thank you so much!

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #2,443 of 3,462
Sure thing man!
Mine has an IR port but Also didn't come with a remote, seems like a cool feature. My Omni used to make regular popping noises to my game audio (even my friend heard it over the mic stream, so it infected all audio), I was going to exchange mine too but someone suggested that, in addition to making sure my PC drivers were up to date, I should also install the firmware update (which updates inside the Omni itself). The issue (as well as optical output) was resolved after the firmware update. Something to keep in mind.
Like I said on Mad's guide, the Z can accept stereo optical input (and fake surround processing from that, but is more of a sound effect than accurate positioning), and of course you'd have to have both PC and console turned on. If you're looking at the Zx for convenience I'd honestly get the Omni instead.

I ran the firmware update and it solved all my problems. Cancelled the Amazon replacement too. Very pleased.

The Firmware update was 9 months ago so I didn't think I needed to do it and completely overlooked it. Mistakes happen!

Thanks for the response. Saved me quite a bit of hassle!

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #2,444 of 3,462
Oh and just to add - for glenclaymore and evshrug. I ordered mine from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Performance-Headphone-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B00F8VB0IW/

The remote is simply fantastic, (RM-820) and it uses a standard coin battery which I presume will last a while and it's very easy to replace. 

http://st.market.rzn.info/i/goods/other/93902/899264.jpg

For the omni every button works apart from the arrow / okay and the off/menu button. That's obviously because it doesn't support those features. But I've tried it on different music programs and even if you're browsing the web in the background it's nice to be able to change songs, or pause things you're watching or to also mute / change the volume. If you can get your hands on one I'd highly recommend it!

edit - the up and down arrow keys also work

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2,445 of 3,462
I recently purchased a Stealth DC-1 DAC/Amp combo and a toslink cable to connect it to my Soundblaster Z. I intend to use this connection to carry the surround sound from the SBZ to the DAC. I selected SPDIF-Out as the default device in Control Panel --> Hardware & Sound.

I have run into an i error where the SB Pro Studio states "The current selected audio device is disabled, not present, not supported by the application, or has unplugged jack connections. Do you want to select another audio device now?". So I am unable to use the features of Pro Studio.

However, when testing the SPDIF-Out with windows, I can easily hear sound coming through my headphones. With "WASAPI (event): SPDIF-Out (Sound Blaster Z)" as my playback device in Foobar2000, I can hear the music coming through my headphones.

So what am I doing wrong with my configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back