Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Aug 9, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,326 of 3,462
  Did anyone figured the settings with SBX on in BF4 ? does it needed there, someone on hardforum said that it's best to play this game with SBX off.

What I wrote there is 

ok, that's only in BF4 ? 

But people usually choose Home Cinema + Stereo or Surround, I still don't understand if the Stereo is 2.1 and the Surround is 5.1/7.1 is it game processing engine or is it just the channel you for sound card.

No one yet find the answer to this.

If I go headphones SBX off and I want Stereo 2.1 from the game, do I set HomeCinema + Stereo, what will the surround do then ?

If I choose with SBX On and I want surround, do I set HomeCinema + Surround, what will the stereo do ?

It's bloody complicated 
color]

Oh God.

It's not complicated, you're just confusing yourself for no reason.

Virtual surround is a subjective thing, so subjective that it is akin to preference of food. I can tell you that spicy food tastes amazing (assuming you don't like spicy food) and you MUST LOVE IT. You try it yourself, if you like it, you like it. End of story. Stop complicating things.

How people play BF4 is their problem, not yours. There's no perfect setting. Just go with what sounds best to you, it's that simple.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #2,327 of 3,462
I got the ZXR  , on the same volume 600 ohms it sounds weaker,, like there is almost no different between 32 ohms and 600 ohms, the Xonar phoebus did an awsome job with the headphone amp.

I dunno, maybe because it's 32/300  - 600 , and the xonar has from 32 - 300 - 600 .

Did anyone else felt that the ZXR is weaker on the volume ? I connected it to the ACM and it's louder than connected straight to the back of the card. it doesn't look like there is lesser quality, they might've fix that ?

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #2,328 of 3,462
hey guys, im going to buy a pair of fidelio x1's, i currently own a soundblaster z and was wondering what is a good dac and amp to go with it so i can use the optical out of my soundblaster for the use of dolby virtual surround, not sure how it all works and how it all connects, any insight would be greatly apreciated

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #2,330 of 3,462
isnt the internal  dac on the sbz already "good" enough?

for sure an amp isnt needed, unless someone wants to get deaf, i think its dangerous listening so high volumes no?

for me 60% already high enough on headphones

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #2,332 of 3,462
thats right plus i want to be able to use dolby which i belive increses the virtual sound for games and music and i cant do that through the aped jack on my soundcards it has to go through optical, so im just wondering what would be a good dac/amp that will go well with my X1's and the other guy akg702's

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2,333 of 3,462
Aune X1 Pro for the X1.

Don't have a recommendation for the K702 though, as IMO the CS4398 on the SBZ/Zx/Omni actually fits quite well with the K702.

Also, one thing you guys have to understand is that a DAC isn't the biggest improvement to audio quality. If anything, you'd be hard pressed to hear a very significant difference anyways. More over, many games (especially multiplatform ones) aren't exactly recorded in the highest bitrates and in a proper studio either. You're not benifiting from a very high quality DAC.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,334 of 3,462
hey guys, im going to buy a pair of fidelio x1's, i currently own a soundblaster z and was wondering what is a good dac and amp to go with it so i can use the optical out of my soundblaster for the use of dolby virtual surround, not sure how it all works and how it all connects, any insight would be greatly apreciated

I would run off the soundblaster z amp and see how you like it. I am pretty happy with mine.

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #2,336 of 3,462
so you have jst the soundBZ on its own then ? if i may ask how are your settings ? like volume, sbx prostudio crystalize and all that 

I set SBX pro studio on when playing games, have it set at 35%. All other options like crystal voice or scout mode I leave off. You don't need the Dolby encoding unless you are sending 5.1 out the optical. Leave the Dolby encoding off. Note this is not the Dolby surround processing but Dolby digital 5.1 movie codec.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2,337 of 3,462
How do I find out if I can use my case's front panel with my Sound Blaster Z? As I'd like to be able to have both my speakers and headset plugged in. Also I still have my Realtek onboard audio installed, should I remove it? I've already installed the Sound Blaster drivers.

my case is a corsair carbide 200r.

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #2,338 of 3,462
  How do I find out if I can use my case's front panel with my Sound Blaster Z? As I'd like to be able to have both my speakers and headset plugged in. Also I still have my Realtek on-board audio installed, should I remove it? I've already installed the Sound Blaster drivers.

You computer case should come with a (front panel) cable inside it had can attach to the 10 pin (2X5) connector on the SB-Z card.

As long as you disable the motherboard's on-board (Realtek) audio, in the BIOS, the Realtek should not interfere with the SB-Z.
Guess you could always delete the Realtek software/drivers, just to be safe.

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #2,339 of 3,462
oh ok didnt know about that dolby not being sorround then ... ty , well i have sorround at 65 atm and crystalizer at 55 and in my music it  sound so good, very happy with this headphones, compared to my sennheiser 598's they were dissapointing when it came to bass and overall the x1 are so much better ( to my tastes of course dont flame me :) )  my soundblaster combos quite well with it i havent got refined ears i jst like my bass to ratle my brain and im happy, plus soundstage is very good in games

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #2,340 of 3,462
Did anyone else felt that the ZXR is weaker on the volume ? I connected it to the ACM and it's louder than connected straight to the back of the card. it doesn't look like there is lesser quality, they might've fix that ?

This is very curious, because the ACM doesn't have an amp of it's own... Basically, it works by taking the output of the soundcard and dialing down from that. I don't have a ZxR (I have the Omni), so maybe what is happening is the card detects the presence of the ACM (somehow), and instead of honoring the computer's volume setting is actually outputting the full Line-Out volume and you don't have the ACM turned down as low as the PC settings? That's my best guess without looking at your gear in person.

Aune X1 Pro for the X1.

Don't have a recommendation for the K702 though, as IMO the [COLOR=545454]CS4398 on the SBZ/Zx/Omni actually fits quite well with the K702.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]Also, one thing you guys have to understand is that a DAC isn't the biggest improvement to audio quality. If anything, you'd be hard pressed to hear a very significant difference anyways. More over, many games (especially multiplatform ones) aren't exactly recorded in the highest bitrates and in a proper studio either. You're not benifiting from a very high quality DAC.[/COLOR]

This^, especially about the DAC.

The DAC in the Z/Omni is already quite good, and the jump from low-cost built-into-the-computer-motherboard-DAC to a decent DAC like the soundblasters will be a bigger jump than any step up after that. You can do better, but you have to spend a significant amount of money to hear any significant change, and for the majority of GAMES you won't hardly hear any improvement.

I would run off the soundblaster z amp and see how you like it. I am pretty happy with mine.

And so am I with the very similar Omni. For longer gaming sessions (or even short sessions with Counter Strike) I like to EQ down 8-9 kHz band by a few decibels, but I find the Omni's amp to be a good sample of solid-state amping. Sometimes I plug a tube amp into the headphone jack, just because I like the coloration of tubes.

so you have jst the soundBZ on its own then ? if i may ask how are your settings ? like volume, sbx prostudio crystalize and all that 

oh ok didnt know about that dolby not being sorround then ... ty , well i have sorround at 65 atm and crystalizer at 55 and in my music it  sound so good, very happy with this headphones, compared to my sennheiser 598's they were dissapointing when it came to bass and overall the x1 are so much better ( to my tastes of course dont flame me :) )  my soundblaster combos quite well with it i havent got refined ears i jst like my bass to ratle my brain and im happy, plus soundstage is very good in games

I have my surround at 67% right now, but sometimes I like more. I find the Crystalizer makes sound "harder" and emphasizes treble, so I turn it off, fatiguing for me but maybe good for your ears and your Phillips X1. Sometimes I use a modest amount of Smart Dialogue because I like mids and sometimes the Frequency range of vocals get recessed behind other instruments, but that's a personal taste thing. When I had my Audio Technica AD700, I liked a bit of bass boost, but now with my AKG K712's I only (sometimes) use a bass boost at a very low crossover point, so it just boosts low low subbass. It's important for you to play around and find what you like best!

About Dolby surround... SBX makes headphone and speaker surround when those are plugged directly into the sound card, the Dolby Digital Live is only for outputting an encoded surround signal for a home theater receiver to power a 5.1 speaker setup. Nice feature but not the most common need for computer setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back