Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Aug 17, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #2,341 of 3,462
Hm, one thing I learned with headphone connection, does the volume change every time you unplug it and plug it ?

Beacuse sometimes I have lower volume while settings and everything stays the same and only the physical contact. Maybe I didn't have it with the Xonar Phoebus because I didn't really unplug it much.

Would it be better to use the 6.35mm Jack Plug Audio instead the 3.5mm, maybe this will make sure there won't be an issue ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-Premium-Quality-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B002JP6JEK/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_z

I have the one that I got with the DT990 600 ohm, would there be any differences ?

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #2,342 of 3,462
There should be no volume jump, the card should be at the same volume as the last time you used it (even when shutting down or restarting).

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2,343 of 3,462
  There should be no volume jump, the card should be at the same volume as the last time you used it (even when shutting down or restarting).

I wrote this on Overclock forum.

Hi,

I have a terrible urgent question because I don't know if something wrong or the ZXR is not as strong as Phoebus.

I bought the Xonar Phoebus , used it , and with 50% windows volume and set >600 ohm with DT990 600 ohm it was VERY LOUD, and I mean LOUD enough.

I bought ZXR now, because of SBX and such. but at 50% connected straight to the back of the card, or to ACM is very low compared. for example in NFS Rivals I barely hear the music/engine/nitros. With the Phoebus it was very loud.

Is something wrong here? or maybe it's because creative is 5.1 in window sound settings, and it makes the volume a bit weaker compared to just stereo ?

Do think that's the reason Phoebus felt louder ?

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #2,344 of 3,462
Are you double checking windows volume (on the taskbar) to see if it is going as high as you think?

That is one issue I have, for some reason Windows Volume (even when I turned it all the way up) is only actually at ~50% volume and I have to manually drag the volume bar back up to 100% and then I have the entire range again.

Check that first.

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,345 of 3,462
  Are you double checking windows volume (on the taskbar) to see if it is going as high as you think?

That is one issue I have, for some reason Windows Volume (even when I turned it all the way up) is only actually at ~50% volume and I have to manually drag the volume bar back up to 100% and then I have the entire range again.

Check that first.

Yes I did, I tried to play with the volume in all ways.

When it's 100% it sound like the sound is far, not close to Xonar Phoebus. Phoebus and ZXR have too many different settings, it's hard to know what's causing it.

The sound is harsh and muddy, did anyone felt it ? Did anyone moved from phoebus to Zxr ?

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #2,346 of 3,462
Ok from what I've found from all the threads are : Creative ZXR - DT990 600 ohm

Connect ACM to the card headphones Input > Headphone to the ACM ( I didn't feel any quality degradation )

Use 24Bit 48000Hz --- Use 24Bit 96000Hz only if you want to use Crystalizer  for better up mix sampling 

Set in windows to 5.1 > Headphones Vol windows 67% ( Make sure Full-Range Speakers is always disabled at 5.1 and Stereo when using Headphones )

In Creative Control Panel  - Headphones - for me 600 ohm and Always set high gain box checked

SBX - 67% , people say less than <67% makes some sound disappear, higher than  >67% makes the precision/position hard to hear.
All other settings are disabled 

Crystal Voice - I just enable ( smart volume default , noise redu, focus default )  and lowering the volume boost to 20% or 10%, keeping the microphone volume at >50%

The most important part in gaming ! the question

Now what I wanted to ask is for example games that are 2.1 for some reason, NFS Rivals, because you don't have settings to change it and for some reason when using all the settings above. the nitros , engine and everything is just low/muffled and there is no positioning. That means in some games we'll need to use in windows speakers configuration to at Stereo ?

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #2,347 of 3,462
i have a problem

my sbz dont detect the headphones

weather i have speakers or headphones plugged ( tested both rear and front panel), it only shows as "speakers" in windows 8.1

i would like for the system to detect the headphones... i tried with different pairs of headphones and i have the latest sbz drivers...

i think the sound would be better if headphones were able to be chosen in windows

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #2,348 of 3,462
  i have a problem

my sbz dont detect the headphones

weather i have speakers or headphones plugged ( tested both rear and front panel), it only shows as "speakers" in windows 8.1

i would like for the system to detect the headphones... i tried with different pairs of headphones and i have the latest sbz drivers...

i think the sound would be better if headphones were able to be chosen in windows

What do you mean not detect ? in windows you don't see the headphones connection in Playback tab ? What does it say in the Creative Control Panel, just try to change stuff , does the speakers works ?

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #2,349 of 3,462
yes they will both produce sound

but, wether if i have the speakers plugged in the jack, or the headphones, windows will only show it as "speakers", and i heard the sound would be better if "headphones mode" was detected

like this ,i took a print, this was taken when i unplugged speakers and plug headphones

i cannot find an option for headphones anywhere..

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #2,350 of 3,462
You are already on it, "Speakers" just means the sound card.  Now in Creative CP switch the headphone amp on.

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #2,351 of 3,462
  yes they will both produce sound

but, wether if i have the speakers plugged in the jack, or the headphones, windows will only show it as "speakers", and i heard the sound would be better if "headphones mode" was detected

like this ,i took a print, this was taken when i unplugged speakers and plug headphones

i cannot find an option for headphones anywhere..

This is OK, it's shown as Speakers for me too , don't worry about it.  just make sure you are connected to the Headphone Input in the Creative sound card. everything is fine.

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #2,352 of 3,462
So i read in the thread there are problem with alchemy and csgo, I came here because side and back sounds have low to no sound volume at all, so there is no solution for proper surround sound with source games?
Also is there a way to use scout mode with surround sound?

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,353 of 3,462
One thing I see about the SBX is for driving simulation, in the pre-set profiles they recommend SBX surround 20% and Dialog Plus is at 35%, maybe this will fix the sound issue I had with NFS Rivals ?

Adventure and Action 55%  for example Splinter Cell , Rayman, Skyrim , Hitman , Fallout , Diablo , Sniper Elite
First person shooter 20%   Crysis , 
Real Time Strategy 32% SBX , Company of Heroes, Starcraft

Now First Person shooter is a hard call, cause there is Multi Player competition  in BF3-BF4-TF2 which anything they say could improve the actual positioning.  Scount maybe ? Smart Volume like fatality profile say ?  I mean the competition is the hard area.  In all profiles I disable EQ cause I don't have the nerves to try and set it correctly, eventually I could make things worse.

And how much Surround for movies ? there is no profile for that.

So is it good guess to follow their recommended SBX settings ? the profile of course changes the EQ , Crsytlizer , Smart Volume too. I don't see my-self need to use crystlizer with DT990 600 ohm, so the important settings for specific games should be good EQ and SBX %.
Edited by x7007 - Today at 7:42 pm

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #2,354 of 3,462
The difference is not the volume only. My DT 770 250 ohm on my z sounded totally different and anemic compared to when I bought my zxr. The zxr can definitely power 250 ohm cans sufficiently.

And the zxr does 50 mW into 600 ohm not 250 ohm. At 250 ohm it will deliver enough power for your DT 990. I wouldn't worry. The headphone amp in the z/zx can't put out the same power however I never had the distortion problem, that typically is a driver issue. The maxim headphone amp in the z only puts out 125 mW at 32 ohms so at 250 ohm it would definitely be below what's needed.

Best bet is to try your headphones on a different amp and see

I happen to have a DT990 pro and my amp - dac is the audioquest dragonfly v1.2 with 125mW @ 32 ohm and it drives them perfectly, good to loud listening volume is reached with the volume half open...

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #2,355 of 3,462
  One thing I see about the SBX is for driving simulation, in the pre-set profiles they recommend SBX surround 20% and Dialog Plus is at 35%, maybe this will fix the sound issue I had with NFS Rivals ?

Adventure and Action 55%  for example Splinter Cell , Rayman, Skyrim , Hitman , Fallout , Diablo , Sniper Elite
First person shooter 20%   Crysis , 
Real Time Strategy 32% SBX , Company of Heroes, Starcraft

Now First Person shooter is a hard call, cause there is Multi Player competition  in BF3-BF4-TF2 which anything they say could improve the actual positioning.  Scount maybe ? Smart Volume like fatality profile say ?  I mean the competition is the hard area.  In all profiles I disable EQ cause I don't have the nerves to try and set it correctly, eventually I could make things worse.

And how much Surround for movies ? there is no profile for that.

So is it good guess to follow their recommended SBX settings ? the profile of course changes the EQ , Crsytlizer , Smart Volume too. I don't see my-self need to use crystlizer with DT990 600 ohm, so the important settings for specific games should be good EQ and SBX %.
Edited by x7007 - Today at 7:42 pm

Where did you get these numbers?  There is no way for anyone to know how all your equipment is going to sound together, like we keep saying in this thread over and over, there are no magic settings for anything.  There are definitely no "set game profiles" that are the golden ticket for everyone, that is the stupidest thing I have heard in this thread (nothing personal, I know you just read it and assumed they are correct).  You try multiple settings until you find the sound that is best to you, end of story.

Also why would you turn on surround for movies?  Are your movies not in 5.1?  If not then I get it, but if they are it doesn't change anything when you turn on SBX Surround (literally nothing). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back