Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jul 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #2,221 of 3,462
  Maybe it's a subjective thing, maybe it depends on the headphones and/or the games that are being used. The Z, to me, has the best and most exact positioning I've heard to this date. It's very easy to pinpoint enemies in games.

You're right about the low numbers though. It seems like many people are playing without sound, or while listening to music, or without any attention to sound sources & quality at all.

What games are you playing and what cards are you comparing with?

For me, the ZXR's positioning was a downgrade from an xfi xtremegamer in CS 1.6 and CSS. However, the audio it produced for music/videos was fantastic. It made my $20 speakers sound better than my av40's do with an TiHD.

@rpgwizard what games and cards are you comparing the Z's positioning with?

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #2,222 of 3,462
I have owned a Creative Sound Blaster Live!, Creative Audigy2 Platinum Pro and Auzentech XFi Prelude and once you do the available upgrades (opamps) and do the mylar cap mod, there is no other sound card out there that can touch the high resolution sound and air openness that the ZXR can achieve.  It is an impressive card, but a little high on the price (the mods are going to be decently expensive based on which opamps you choose, the mylar mod only cost $30 or so from ERSE).  I wish they would sell just the main card on the ZXR by itself, I have never even used the daughter board, lol.  I am looking at running the daughter card externally.

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #2,223 of 3,462
  What games are you playing and what cards are you comparing with?

Games are mostly first-person types, ranging from the typical Call of Duty & Battlefield games to things like Skyrim, Metro or Dishonored. The cards I've been using were mostly Creative-based. Among the last cards, before I got my ZXR, were the Titanium HD, Auzen X-Fi Home Theater HD, Forte 7.1 and Prelude.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #2,224 of 3,462
Hi all, I have a Creative ZXR sound card which I've been using with a set of Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 PC speakers. I've recently been offered a set of Monitor Audio V10 x 4 plus a Monitor Audio V20 center speaker. Would this be a worth while upgrade to my current set up replacing my existing satallites? Could I add a different sub (e.g. bk xxls400) to the system at a later date without having to buy an AV amp?

Tia

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #2,228 of 3,462
No, ignore such suggestions. Crystallizer also messes with spatial information. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #2,229 of 3,462
  No, ignore such suggestions. Crystallizer also messes with spatial information. 

Great, thank you for that.

Another query I had was with the Sound Blaster Control Panel, in the CrystalVoice pane, what other recording devices can you select apart from the one in the ACM?

USB recording devices don't seem to work (they aren't available to select from)... (attempted with a USB headset mic and a AT2020 mic)

Any ideas?

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #2,230 of 3,462
Great, thank you for that.

Another query I had was with the Sound Blaster Control Panel, in the CrystalVoice pane, what other recording devices can you select apart from the one in the ACM?

USB recording devices don't seem to work (they aren't available to select from)... (attempted with a USB headset mic and a AT2020 mic)

Any ideas?

You will not be able to select any usb recording device or output device from the Creatives control panel as they aren't part of the sound card itself. You can do so though in the windows sound control panel as that controls all sound devices regardless of manufacturer.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #2,231 of 3,462

Creative Sound Blaster ZxR Versus Onboard Audio

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Creative-Sound-Blaster-ZxR-Versus-Onboard-Audio/?page=1#!bcUKv4

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,232 of 3,462
You will not be able to select any usb recording device or output device from the Creatives control panel as they aren't part of the sound card itself. You can do so though in the windows sound control panel as that controls all sound devices regardless of manufacturer.

I'm definitely aware of that. I just wanted to use it for its FX features, any ideas on how to use it with another mic option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back