Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jun 3, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #2,192 of 3,462

CS:GO 

this video demonstrates the problem, and i talk about all surround softares. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjad_V8ZAHo&feature=youtu.be

is what other valve games have this problem ?

did you setup "snd_legacy_surround 1" either via config or autoexec.cfg?

I just tested this and it happens with snd_legacy_surround 1 or 0, doesn't matter which. Switching between 1 or 0 does effect which angles it happens at though.

Pretty sure this is unique to CSGO. I've used 5.1 in CSS for many years.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,193 of 3,462
Too much reading in this thread so ...
Q: On another forum someone stated that there's disturbing hissing sound when card is set to work in 16-bit mode? One ZxR review stated that the hissing sound with low impedance headphones is improved. Any experiment in this 'issue' ?

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #2,198 of 3,462
  They are not purchaseable in austira :/

From anywhere or just Amazon? You can purchase from amazon.co.uk or no?

Have you seen these? http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

http://www.overclock.net/t/1014902/ocns-most-recommended-audio-products/0_50

There are some other amps you can look into.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #2,199 of 3,462
So I'm thinking about an external amp for my SBZ. I have no problems with the card but I want to maximize the quality of audio when I game to hear footsteps etc.

So, to get better audio quality, which of these options should I choose?:

1) DAC/AMP - Should I run an optical to a DAC/amp, bypassing the Z's dac and amped HP jack? I can still take advantage of the Zs surround and EQ, but will an external DAC/amp perform better than the Z's?

2) AMP only - run from the amped HP jack into another amp, perhaps a Behringer. I hear external amps actually improve sound quality, but the audio signal gets amped twice. Not sure of any implications there.

3) Stick with the Z as is because the first 2 options won't make any difference at all.

Any feedback would help a lot, thanks.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,200 of 3,462
1 will work just enable stereo mix to optical in adv features. it will then send the card features to the exteral device.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #2,201 of 3,462
Being a long-time reader here, i finally felt the need to register to share my impressions of the ZxR 
eek.gif

I previously owned an Xfi-Gamer and and Essence STX, Headphones have been upgraded in the time being, actually using Phillips Fidelio X1 (which i like quite a lot as a "better DT990" for games and movies...quite funny and bass-heavy, but still very clear sound).

I always liked and used the surround virtualizations for games and movies and recently, reading an few opinions here and on other forums, i had the impression that SBX Surround might actually be better than Dolby HP on the STX.
So i finally bought an ZxR...

1.) Installation/Drivers: No Problems at all and in fact, i like the CP very much. Don´t have any crackles, pops or whatever and dpc latency is very low, no matter what i´m doing. Tbh, i never had any problems  in the past with X-Fi/STX drivers, but just wanted to mention it.

2.) Stereo sound with music: Didn´t expect to really notice a difference to the STX, and i didn´t. Of course i didn´t have two PC´s with both cards installed available and i can only compare before (STX) vs. after (ZxR) and probably one might find some minor differences when listening to both card simultanously, but in all in all...both very good sounding cards for listening to music (as to expected).

3.) Surround virtualization with headphones...now this is where i expected the ZxR to perform better than the STX...and it does, and then some more :).
When i first fired up some games with SBX Surround activated, i had do double-check its really on...not because i missed positional sounds, but because the sound quality was like was using the STX in stereo mode w/o Dolby HP.
SBX Surround really manages to pull of very clear positional audio with an great feeling of immersion without sacrifing sound quality like CMSS-3D (tin-canned sound) or Dolby HP (reverb all over the place) do.
For the last few days i´ve been listening again and again to my currently installed games (e.g. Borderlands 2, Outlast, Diablo III, Metro:LL, Skyrim, Dishonored, Shadow Warrior) and movies over and over again and (at least for my ears) SBX Surround is way ahead of any other surround virtualization in the sense of combining very good and natural sound with great positional clues and and overall feeling of immersion.

tldr; even if you´re believing in "stereo all day long and all surround virtualisations are evil"..try out SBX Surround :).

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #2,203 of 3,462
  I also have the X1, would you recommend the ZxR  over the STX even when the price is higher?

How does music sound on the headphones, what are you listening too?

Music...almost everything..from Pet Shop Boys to Slayer, except for classic music 
biggrin.gif

As i said, i didn´t notice any difference between both cards regarding music in stereo. Maybe there is a very slight difference, but you probably would need two pc´s with both cards installed and switching over again and again to spot the difference.
So...if you mainly use the card for music, you won´t gain anything by switching over to the ZxR.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #2,204 of 3,462
Anyone looking for more from a headphone Amp/DAC, this is what I went with.  I use it at night and my ZXR during the day (see my sig).

http://www.amazon.com/AUNE-T1-Amplifier-Standard-Version/dp/B00CHIJYGE

You just need to swap that tube. the stock EH Tube is awful when compared to mid-high range NOS tubes.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #2,205 of 3,462
  Anyone looking for more from a headphone Amp/DAC, this is what I went with.  I use it at night and my ZXR during the day (see my sig).

http://www.amazon.com/AUNE-T1-Amplifier-Standard-Version/dp/B00CHIJYGE

You just need to swap that tube. the stock EH Tube is awful when compared to mid-high range NOS tubes.

How is the aune compared to the zxr?

I am looking for an upgrade to my creative z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back