Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jun 16, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #2,206 of 3,462
Sorry I never answered your question, but it's pretty much impossible and I think these two pictures will tell you why:

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #2,207 of 3,462
In terms of sound quality, does the ST/STX win anywhere in that regard?

I'm panning up between the ST/STX and the ZXR as I have both the ST and the ZXR, one of which I will sell, but I'm not sure which to pick?

Any comments?

Thanks

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #2,208 of 3,462
  In terms of sound quality, does the ST/STX win anywhere in that regard?

I'm panning up between the ST/STX and the ZXR as I have both the ST and the ZXR, one of which I will sell, but I'm not sure which to pick?

Any comments?

Thanks

The ST/STX is slightly better sounding out of the box but the ZXR has more easily obtained potential than the ST/STX series with only minor modification.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #2,209 of 3,462

The ST/STX is slightly better sounding out of the box but the ZXR has more easily obtained potential than the ST/STX series with only minor modification.

Appreciate the prompt response.

When you state 'minor modifications', are you referring physical modifications or modifications through the use of software?
If the former, do you need to have significant experience or... is it just being prudent during the entire process?

May I also ask why the ST/STX is slightly better sounding out of the box? Don't they use the same DAC as the ZXR? So may I ask what other specifications makes this so?

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #2,211 of 3,462

Appreciate the prompt response.

When you state 'minor modifications', are you referring physical modifications or modifications through the use of software?
If the former, do you need to have significant experience or... is it just being prudent during the entire process?

May I also ask why the ST/STX is slightly better sounding out of the box? Don't they use the same DAC as the ZXR? So may I ask what other specifications makes this so?

Yes I am referring to physical modifications. Some soldering is required & also one needs space on the back side of the card to fit the much larger capacitors that I use.

Even though these 2 cards are similar both spec wise & parts wise there are differences such as the placement of the coupling capacitors which by the way I eliminate electrically from the circuit.. there is also a difference in the placement of power supply caps around the DAC. On the ST/STX there seem to be only 2 caps connected to the VCC L & R pins & the ZXR there is most definitely 3 caps so that all VCC pins are taken up with power supply caps that are close to the DAC. There may be one last VCC power supply cap for the analog supply that is behind the DAC where all the digital power supply resides but was not sure due to the layout  on the ST/STX cards. Knowing where that third VCC analog power supply cap is critical to getting the best sound where on the ZXR due to placement it is very easy to find. This is the cap that once bypassed restores the warmth to the sound while retaining the incredible detail of the obtained with the other 2 cap bypasses. I bypass the VCC power supply caps with large value metalized film caps as well as the opamp power supplies with even more capacitors all on the back side of the card which is why you need room above the card inside the computer. I used a total of 7-12uf  metalized film caps for the modifications.

Jun 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #2,212 of 3,462
lol just link him to the mod thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/705284/germaniums-sound-blaster-zxr-mod-thread

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2,213 of 3,462
I am using a modmic 1.0 and I get  a lot of noise on the line. I have to limit the boost to +20 just to keep the noise reasonable but it also means its a bit quiet. I am wondering if there is a reasonable solution, like can I use a microphone preamp to boost the mic signal so I don't use the soundblaster amplifier? If so what would people recommend?

Is there another way to fix it perhaps? A circuit I can use to boost it or change the impendence etc so that it behaves better with the soundblaster Z. Not really sure how to go about solving it but I do want a solution as I used to have lovely mic input on my Xonar and while I prefer SBX pro its a shame the mic circuit seems so terrible.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,214 of 3,462
  I am using a modmic 1.0 and I get  a lot of noise on the line. I have to limit the boost to +20 just to keep the noise reasonable but it also means its a bit quiet. I am wondering if there is a reasonable solution, like can I use a microphone preamp to boost the mic signal so I don't use the soundblaster amplifier? If so what would people recommend?

Is there another way to fix it perhaps? A circuit I can use to boost it or change the impendence etc so that it behaves better with the soundblaster Z. Not really sure how to go about solving it but I do want a solution as I used to have lovely mic input on my Xonar and while I prefer SBX pro its a shame the mic circuit seems so terrible.

I have a modmic 2.0 and have not had this issue.

try this please.
open your start menu and type sound
listed should be the control panel\sound icon choose that.
click on microphone and then click properties
choose the advanced tab
clear both check box's for exclusive mode (allow applications to take exclusive control of this device and Give exclusive mode to applications priority)
click apply and ok
choose the Communications tab
under When windows detect communications activity
choose "do nothing"

I would suggest also making the exclusive mode changes to your playback device under the playback tab as well to reduce crackling and popping sounds.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2,215 of 3,462
Hey all,

I just ordered a pair of LME49720HA opamps and picked up a few DIP8 adapters today. I'm new to modding, and wanted to know which of the (2) JRC or (2) LM swappable opamps on the ZXR affect the headphone out? I use the card 100% for gaming and wanted to see if the LME49720s improved sound clarity.

Thanks.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #2,216 of 3,462

I have a modmic 2.0 and have not had this issue.

try this please.
open your start menu and type sound
listed should be the control panel\sound icon choose that.
click on microphone and then click properties
choose the advanced tab
clear both check box's for exclusive mode (allow applications to take exclusive control of this device and Give exclusive mode to applications priority)
click apply and ok
choose the Communications tab
under When windows detect communications activity
choose "do nothing"

I would suggest also making the exclusive mode changes to your playback device under the playback tab as well to reduce crackling and popping sounds.

Alas my settings on this are identical to above, I have already messed around a lot with all the various settings I feel could impact this. From all the CrystalVoice settings, all the microphone boost and volume settings and everything under the sound tab. I have gone through pretty much everything I can think of from a software perspective, I seriously suspect its a hardware issue on the SBZ.

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #2,217 of 3,462
Just sold my Sound Blaster Z, picked up a Asus Xonar DGX just as a cheap alternative.  The DGX has much better surround sound positioning, feels a lot more realistic than the Sound Blaster Z.  The microphone seems to have less static with the same amount of gain.  I'm really impressed with the DGX overall.  If you are debating between these two cards I really would learn to the DGX.  Even if these were the same price I'd pick the DGX.  The only thing is the Asus Software isn't as user friendly IMO.  But dolby headphone is a lot better than SBX

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #2,218 of 3,462
Different people prefer different surround solutions between the different card's, you might like Dolby headphone but some one else won't and there are people who like SBX surround or CMSS3D Headphone over it and the other way around too, There is no better option its all in the ear of the beholder.  All 3 of them work better when the windows speaker settings are set to 5.1 for Z series , 7.1 for Xonars and X-FI's. With the same being set in the game too as it wont work correctly if you keep it on 2 channel.

The main reason why people grab the Z is for it analog output's and the headphone amp that better then the one that's on the DG/DGX. If you are using optical modi like I think you are, Then most people will not be using a external dac with the Z and the analog sound signature of the cards will come into play and they will pair different with different headphone's and people ear's. Unless they want the Z software suite then it be up to the person rather they like the software suite or not as people ears are different then each other.  I had a DGX my self and dolby headphone did do a good job but it did it with certain headphones and certain games same with CMSS3D headphone.

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #2,219 of 3,462
Exactly it will differ a lot with various people, this soundblaster Z series doesn't work well for me either, the soundstaging/surround/positioning in particular doesn't have me impressed at all, finally decided to pick up a STX II to hopefully have better results, otherwise back to onboard. xD

Shame that there's so little players in gaming oriented soundcards, feels like there needs to be existing more options than ASUS or Creative. I know there's more brands but those cards are very outdated by now.

I'm still lurking this thread from time to time hoping for a miracle 3rd party driver fixing my woes with SB Z series.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #2,220 of 3,462
Maybe it's a subjective thing, maybe it depends on the headphones and/or the games that are being used. The Z, to me, has the best and most exact positioning I've heard to this date. It's very easy to pinpoint enemies in games.

You're right about the low numbers though. It seems like many people are playing without sound, or while listening to music, or without any attention to sound sources & quality at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back