Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Feb 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,861 of 3,462
I got my SBZ (non oem with gold caps) new for £48 pounds (from Amazon). Use this and keep your fingers crossed: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/search?sq=sound+blaster+z. Don't worry about the gold caps. It's a great card on it's own and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

As NoOneLt says .. the ZxR will sound better for music, but be about the same for games in surround.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #1,862 of 3,462
Funny thing when I took my z shield off, only one of the caps were nichicon gold, the others were g luxon. Not that I care as I highly doubt you would hear a difference. And g luxon aren't going to blow up on you randomly.

Just thought it was weird.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,863 of 3,462
@DJ .... that's still a highly sneaky thing to do on Creative's part, given that the vast majority of users will never remove the shield
smile.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,865 of 3,462
Is user germanium still working on the capacitor mod guide for the ZXR?

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,867 of 3,462
  Can I use sb z with astro mixamp or I must buy  different amp ?

Why would you want to use it with the Astro mixamp?  The amp in the mixamp isn't all that great...

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,868 of 3,462
  Is user germanium still working on the capacitor mod guide for the ZXR?

I got delayed as my work sent me on a long trip  where I got stuck in a snow storm & couldn't make it back home in the allotted time so I had to do 10 hours of sleeper berth in the truck. DOT laws for commercial trucks make you have to rest for 10 hours after 14 hours on duty. I could have completed the trip in the time allotted if there wasn't a snow storm. will work on it later tonight & tomorrow.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,870 of 3,462

I have astro mixamp and I was thinking to connect optical from SBZ to astro and then to  headphones.There will be then volume control .Meaybe I am wrong but thats why I come here :wink: Why I need amp  if there is one on card?

The astro mixamp's amp and DAC probably aren't better than the ones on the SB Z (they may even be worse).  Personally I wouldn't hook them up to the SB Z. 

The reason you may need an amp is if you have hard to drive headhpones or you want a better quality amp than the one that came on the SB Z.  In that case, I would just get a decent desktop amp.  If you want to bypass the Z's DAC you will need an external optical DAC. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #1,871 of 3,462

The caps in the red box get shorted or removed & wire put in their place. I only shorted them underneath the board as this electrically removes them as electricity takes the path of least resistance

The caps in the green box get bypassed with 2-12uf metalized film caps each These caps are quite large physically you will need at least 1 expansion space above the card free.

The caps in the purple box get 1-12uf metalized film cap each. Same thing applies to these caps needing space. 

The caps in the blue box only need shorting if you plan on using surround sound speakers & amps

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #1,872 of 3,462
Even a cheap FiiO amp is better than the amp inside the Mixamp, and the SBZ has a better DAC than the Mixamp. This is just going off of specifications. The effect would just be to muddy and weaken the signal coming out of the Soundblaster.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #1,874 of 3,462

Oh my.

I know not the best looking. But believe me extremely effective. I had a hard time getting solder to stick to this board & all the capacitors are used capacitors. I was trying to do something rather quickly & I it shows. will redo sometime later when I can buy all new caps & do a better job soldering them but in the mean time this does work quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back