Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jan 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #1,681 of 3,462
However, I could barebones it as you suggest. The fans and GPU could be introducing noise, and that would be the only way to reasonably question the motherboard. 

Confirm it is the GPU.
Turning up chassis+CPU fans to max did not introduce noise.
Turning up GPU fan to max did not introduce noise.
Running Prime95 to run the CPU at 100% did not introduce noise.
Running Video Card Stability Test (link) brings the noise.
Turning on Noise Reduction does remove it, however this reduces the quality of my recorded voice as the noise is in the same range as my voice.

Now the question is can I mitigate it by changing slots? I'll shut down and find out now.

Edit: No, the noise still persists even with the x1 slot.

I'm out of options for this sound card. It's an incredible product but for me it doesn't look like an internal card is going to be an option for this build. Perhaps I will have to suffer using an Omni (SB1560) or Xonar U7. :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #1,682 of 3,462
  Surprised you can't fit it into the x1 slot without removing the GPU, mind you that Noctua is a big person.

It fits. The retention clip of the NF-P14 fan on the NH-D14 does rest up against the back of the PCB, and considering how hot it gets between these two components I don't think this is an ideal location.

Here are the pics to prove that the x1 slot on a Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard can be used with a NH-D14 HSF:

VVV- I would agree 100% if this were a software issue.

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #1,683 of 3,462
Standard mantra would be: uninstall all video (and sound) card drivers > run driver sweeper freeware . Also CCleaner too > reseat the GPU and soundcard (and disable motherboard audio, also check bios etc updates) > install both the GPU and Sound Blaster Drivers, plus DirectX. Win.... hopefully.

Where is HAL 9000 when you want the person.

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,684 of 3,462
Let me just say, that in our guild, push-to-talk is required. It is the worst thing ever to hear some guildmate's kids/wife/dog in the background, or worse yet bodily functions and mouth breathing. So please for the sake of everyone else who plays with you, assign a key to push to talk (I use the 4 key on my naga hex). (I don't mean to pull a 180 on you, I tested it, but I remembered this fact of life just now)

That said, the ACM mic is very clear and provides excellent sound in mumble. It is extremely sensitive, even with noise reduction, and I have a hard time balancing mumble's SNR/raw amplitude thresholds properly. For example, while I don't talk, it doesn't key the mic. However if I make any noise whatsoever (drag my mouse across the desk, type on my keyboard) mumble keys the mic. If you are going to have an open mic it might be best to get it up on your monitor and up off of the desk. If you intend to use PTT I think the ACM is great.

With the settings I posted for crystal voice, games that don't support push to talk are fine and don't activate just from mouse or keyboard.

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,686 of 3,462
Couple of posts up, and it's confirmed that they are the same stereo microphone, but in a different housing.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #1,690 of 3,462
Just received my SBZ today... so very disappointed.  I bought it to get surround through headphones for movies, running XBMC.  It just sounds... mediocre at best.  Using AKG K712's.  It's plenty loud, in fact too loud... I have the volume completely down and it's still too loud, all the while sounding narrow and odd.  I'm having a hard time explaining the sound.  Kind of like having a bucket over my head.  Muffled and bland.  I had a much better impression of surround using Foobar > Mixer > Dolby, unfortunately this won't work under XBMC.  

And yes, I have it set up correctly.  

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #1,692 of 3,462
  You in headphone mode in the CCP?

Yes, headphone mode is on, as is surround, I've tried just about every setting and up and down on the amount of surround.  Here's the odd bit.  It's incredibly incredibly loud.  I mean, I have it turned almost all the way down if plugged into the stereo jack of the SBZ... now, when I plug my Schiit Vali into the stereo jack, effectively double amping, the volume reduces significantly.  In fact, I can then turn the volume up quite high before it's at an acceptable level.  However, both methods just sound bad.   Muffled / bad, with very weak surround affect.   I've tried playing all sorts of media, from 5.1 to stereo.  Tried through XBMC, Media Player, Media Player Classic, Foobar, J-River.

Very narrow sounding as well.  It feels very claustrophobic. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #1,693 of 3,462
As for volume try this fix: http://www.overclock.net/t/1337761/official-creative-sound-blaster-z-zx-zxr-series-club/1480. What are other people's thought on movie playback? Personally I favour DH for movies, but in no way do I think that SBX pro is bad.

I think you may have something wrong in the chain. I watched Avatar Blu-Ray the other day and it was superb. (please note: neither myself, nor the other regular posters in this thread are fanboys by any means).

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #1,694 of 3,462
Ya I've watched 5.1 movies in xbmc before with sbx on and they sound fantastic.

DH was a very close second. It was very well imaged too.

You sure that xbmc is set to direct sound right? Not wasapi exclusive? Because that would bypass the z and its driver.

Have you played any games to test?

Also is windows sound settings, is the z set for 5.1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back