Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jan 17, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,666 of 3,462
  If you want to run a test with my Z's mic on mumble, let me know. I actually haven't used it yet.

You mean go in a mumble with you to test it? Sure, I'm down. Do you have a server handy? I'm trying to find an empty public server.

EDIT: We tested it and confirmed that the Z's mic won't pick up loud keyboard (blue mechanical switches) noise when using automatic voice detection (no push to talk key) in mumble!

If someone would be willing to test the ACM's ability to do the same thing that would be swell!

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,669 of 3,462
  I have this (not used it with my SBZ) http://www.amazon.com/Andrea-Array-2S-Superbeam-Microphone/dp/B00DOGRUYG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390003283&sr=8-2&keywords=superbeam. When I used it last year I was told it was very clear though.

Why haven't you used it with your SBZ? Do you just use the ACM? Have you tested the ACM to see if you can put it on various parts of your desk and still customize it to only pick your voice and not keyboard noise without a push to talk key?

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,671 of 3,462
Originally Posted by MaxKohler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why haven't you used it with your SBZ? Do you just use the ACM?

The vanilla Z doesn't come with the ACM Max.

@DJ - great idea those backplates.... they've even got them for graphics cards. Is there any real reason why the 'front' of PCI/e components all face down?? Too late now to change.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,673 of 3,462
Wow. 

Downloading SB Z drivers from Creative's website is incredibly slow.  A 162mb package and it's going at 25-50 kb/sec - basically dial-up speeds.   ETA is over an hour.  Is this normal?

Talk about slow servers.  Creative, I am disappoint.

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,675 of 3,462
I'm getting 225 KB/s right now

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,676 of 3,462

I have access to a mumburu server and will give ZxR+ACM + Mumble+Vox a test tonight. What is your preference on crystalvoice configuration options?

Hmm, I don't have a preference per se since I don't own a Z series card yet. But which ever settings that would allow the mic to only pick up your voice from various areas on your desk would be ideal! These ones seem pretty good: http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/a9/a989fb18_crystalsettings.jpeg

The vanilla Z doesn't come with the ACM Max.

Oh, oops, misread your card. So you choose the Z's beam mic over the Andrea 2S Superbeam Array Mic?

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,677 of 3,462
No Max.. only using the one that came with the Z... in tests with myself it's very good. The Superbeam I haven't tried yet... I would assume it's at least as good, and is nice to have even as a backup in case the Z's mic goes **** up. Does anybody know if there's one or two mics inside the SBZ one?

I like DJ's solution on the keyboard, but ontop of the monitor seems to work well too.

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,679 of 3,462
K DJ.. never realised it was the same model of microphone in the ACM's and the Z's. Just to point out: the Superbeam is almost twice the width/size of the Z's mic (and is no looker tbh). I'll conduct a few tests and get back to you all - it may just work well with the SBZ CP. (I'm in no way saying the stock one needs replaced.. solely doing this out of interest). Most advice on this forum is to get headphones over a headset and get a Zalman clip on mic (crap TBH). I would like to think that the Creative tech used in their recording software would and could offer a decent alternative when using a beam forming microphone.

Mind you, Creative's microphone settings are meant to pair well with boom mics off of headsets as well. I've never heard of any reports from these users and how well they work together. Then again, a uni-directional mic on a boom has an easier time of it and doesn't need the extras from Creative to do it's job really.

Any headset users out there care to share please?

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,680 of 3,462
  Hmm, I don't have a preference per se since I don't own a Z series card yet. But which ever settings that would allow the mic to only pick up your voice from various areas on your desk would be ideal! These ones seem pretty good: http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/a9/a989fb18_crystalsettings.jpeg

Oh, oops, misread your card. So you choose the Z's beam mic over the Andrea 2S Superbeam Array Mic?

Let me just say, that in our guild, push-to-talk is required. It is the worst thing ever to hear some guildmate's kids/wife/dog in the background, or worse yet bodily functions and mouth breathing. So please for the sake of everyone else who plays with you, assign a key to push to talk (I use the 4 key on my naga hex). (I don't mean to pull a 180 on you, I tested it, but I remembered this fact of life just now)

That said, the ACM mic is very clear and provides excellent sound in mumble. It is extremely sensitive, even with noise reduction, and I have a hard time balancing mumble's SNR/raw amplitude thresholds properly. For example, while I don't talk, it doesn't key the mic. However if I make any noise whatsoever (drag my mouse across the desk, type on my keyboard) mumble keys the mic. If you are going to have an open mic it might be best to get it up on your monitor and up off of the desk. If you intend to use PTT I think the ACM is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back