Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jan 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,622 of 3,462
Crystalizer doesn't seem to be that bad if SBX is on.

I do think that these headphones sound better through line out though. It's a shame that it's not possible to select headphone mode for line out.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,623 of 3,462
I am waiting for a new pair of X1's to arrive so that I can test the Titanium HD and ZxR out. I'm sort of suspicious the TiHD is more pinpoint accurate.

When I switched between SBX and Scout mode on the ZxR, Scout Mode seemed too loud in terms of range to target, so it (Gun fire) sounded closer than it actually was and the SBX felt better in terms of volume to target, but sort of mushy vague.

Clear as mud, it's going to be interesting.

Wayne

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #1,624 of 3,462
I bought the Soundblaster Z today, great little card for 60$. Headphone output sounds surprisingly good so far with my Audio-Technicas. I will use the SBZ as a source for the Vali.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #1,626 of 3,462
So I did some in depth testing with optical out to my reciever.

These conclusions are valid for both the z and zxr as I owned both.

Some info for some of you first.

Dolby live only supports 16/48 max and DTS connect supports 24/48 max.

So setting it higher(in both speaker or spdif devices) may result in the sbz downmixing to DTS or DD specs anyways when it sends the bitstream.

This is where I did my testing. My reciever displays the stream frequency and bit rate on my TV as an OSD.

As it turns out, when in DD or DTS encoding mode, the frequency and bitrate in windows don't matter. The
Encoder specifies its own max rates and frequencies as per the dolby and DTS max specs I listed above. So as long as your receiver supports DTS or DD, it should receive the signal and it gets decoded as usual.

The frequency and rate on windows only matters in stereo regular mode. Meaning without encoding on. When using either the speaker or spdif devices.

What also matters is whether you set headphone or 5.1 speaker mode. To get all 5 channels you need to set 5.1 speaker mode in the sbz panel. This one seems obvious however you wouldn't believe the amount of people I hear complain and then it turns out this was the reason.

Also there is quite a bit of delay for both encoding methods. I estimate roughly 100ms of delay which is bad for gaming and very unimmersive. Effectively making the z terrible for 5.1 gaming through optical to speakers.

Basically unusable. Stereo with sbx surround on is the only way to go realistically.

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #1,627 of 3,462
TY for doing that test DJ. That's pretty disappointing. Did you conduct the same test with your old ZxR?

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #1,628 of 3,462
Ya exact same testing with the same results.

Only thing is I wanted to wait to put these results out until I had both. But i wasn't expecting a change in results since they both use the same DSP chip.

From what I am hearing DD live and DTS algorithms are responsible for the delay and no matter what spu you have it will be the same delay. Creative reps confirmed this over on their support forums years ago apparently.

I would like to hear from x-fi owners too if they get a delay as well? It seems 50/50 of owners experience this. Might just be some people aren't very perceptive to this delay similar to them not noticing above 60 fps. Lag can be subjective depending on how your brain processes what it sees and hears.

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #1,630 of 3,462
That's a common complaint with the z and flash content. I thought they had fixed it.

I ended up reinstalling windows 8.1 pro from scratch directly from 8.1 pro iso, I don't have that issue any more (I had corrupted W8 pro install before upgrading to W8.1 pro thanks to faulty memory so it was about time to do the reinstall).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back