Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jan 10, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #1,606 of 3,462
I see... Can you confirm that Mirror's Edge in OpenAL mode sounds exactly the same in either Headphone or Speaker mode, or better yet, post another video with same settings except in headphone mode? I think you understand that the trade-off between headphone and speaker mode HRTFs will be largely decided by individual taste, earshape, and headphone. Plus it's harder to fairly represent SBX in comparison to other surround DSPs if most people are going to naturally choose the default headphone mode. If you don't want to, just tell me how you recorded it and I'll make a Borderlands 2 sample.

Here (still processing so HD options will take some time to show up): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXhqJbVUePQ&hd=1
SBX is irrelevant in this test since it gets disabled because this is OpenAL game and I'm not using generic software.

Funny... I think it sounds different now than last time. Sharper than than the stereo mode and, to be honest, it's nowhere near "in your head" like. :blink: Well, drivers have changed but kinda weird...

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,607 of 3,462
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhwUT4BYMk&hd=1

My Mirror's Edge CMSS-3D Headphone Mode

I LOLed at the very end. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #1,608 of 3,462
Here (still processing so HD options will take some time to show up): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXhqJbVUePQ&hd=1
SBX is irrelevant in this test since it gets disabled because this is OpenAL game and I'm not using generic software.

Funny... I think it sounds different now than last time. Sharper than than the stereo mode and, to be honest, it's nowhere near "in your head" like. 
blink.gif
 Well, drivers have changed but kinda weird...

Did you have a clean Windows installation when installing our Z-series card? I had a few problems with conflicts that weren't very clear and logical after I uninstalled my X-Fi and installed the ZxR. 

One nasty problem is either rear right or rear left to be louder (test it with the speaker panel of Windows) and another is OpenAL to not pan smooth. Creative's driver remains are the worst of all time. OF ALL TIME

I LOLed at the very end.  
tongue_smile.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Mirror's Edge is such a beautiful game. One of my all-time favorites. That powerful ambience created by Solar Fields with a fantastic minimalistic world to run and jump through. It's like a dream. I hope they keep the formula for ME2 but I doubt it. It'll probably get a UI, questlog and blinking idiots/video calls that appear on the screen because they have something to say.

That disconnect between life below in the streets and the other world above that rebels against the system is a important part of this game. It should be kept.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,609 of 3,462
^^It's impossible that there was some kind of issue. I've upgraded to Windows 8.1 though technically that was upgrade installation (or Zx has now issues in 8.1 that make headphone mode sound better than what it was :D).

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,610 of 3,462
I've occasionally read claims here and there that Windows 8 has a cleaner sound (less processing??) than W7. I completely dismissed the very idea.....

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #1,611 of 3,462
I finally ordered a ZxR for the price I wanted. Online it went from 179 to 224 after the new year, but today it dropped to 189-199 and one retailer is also offering a $30 MIR, which puts the final price at $159. That works for me.

Maybe by the time it arrives creaf will have their Windows 8.1 driver posted?

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,612 of 3,462
Just picked up my Z retail on sale(oem was actually more expensive lol) and connected it to optical in on my NFB 15.32.  Amazing  No issues whatsoever. Just have to tape those damn led's or I might actually cut them off I dont know yet.

Sal,  I didn't have to adjust the volume higher or switch to hi gain on my 15.32.  The windows digital volume was set at 100% and I only had to use the knob on my 15.32 at rought 12 o clock(50%) at low gain.  Same as the USB input.  BF4 was the only game that I needed to increase it to roughly 2 o clock or 65%.

So seems optical out works just fine, no driver issues on my end. 

Almost destroyed my ears though when I plugged my xbox 360 into the amp.  Forgot I had set Dolby digital in the audio options and so it was a garbled mess.  Kind of a shame since I would have to switch from stereo PCM to Dolby whenever I want to use my AVR.  Oh well. lol 

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #1,613 of 3,462
Nice one DJ - glad the SBZ works flawlessly with the 15.32 for you
smile.gif
  Basically, we now have (sort of) supercharged Z's (lol.. exaggeration). I'd like to think that this setup at least matches, if not exceeds the ZxR. Silly thing to say.. of course it will. The amp alone says it all. Hoping for your feedback/comparison for games/movies when you're ready, but you did indicate in an earlier post that it's better for music for now.

I actually returned my OEM a while back and got a Z retail in exchange because it was a lower price than the OEM.  Now I have to deal with that damned LED too. Why didn't Creative stick with the blue colour scheme? Also I think the CP would look more professional. The sound volume problem I was having has magically sorted it out... I'll always be zeroing the volume on the Audio_gd just in case.

I haven't played around much with USB, but TBH optical works perfectly via the SBZ and really who plays 32bit audio files all the time?

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,614 of 3,462
Something has definitely happened... Virtual surround in non-openal situation (i.e. SBX, headphone mode) is MUCH, MUCH better now that what it was before. I have no idea what caused this... It's incredible accurate and not even remotely in your head. I can only guess that old X-Fi driver things were messing up the sound somehow (even though I tried to get rid of them). Huh... Skyrim sounds totally different now.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,615 of 3,462
  Mirror's Edge is such a beautiful game. One of my all-time favorites. That powerful ambience created by Solar Fields with a fantastic minimalistic world to run and jump through. It's like a dream. I hope they keep the formula for ME2 but I doubt it. It'll probably get a UI, questlog and blinking idiots/video calls that appear on the screen because they have something to say.

That disconnect between life below in the streets and the other world above that rebels against the system is a important part of this game. It should be kept.

Yes.

All of those things are what made it special. 
After playing it I went out and added a bunch of Solar Fields (and similar ambient music) to my music library.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,616 of 3,462
Anarion.. are you tempted to perhaps post up some new revised vids??

**Note to self: I have to try Mirror's Edge**

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,617 of 3,462
Anarion.. are you tempted to perhaps post up some new revised vids??

**Note to self: I have to try Mirror's Edge**

I can't test X-Fi in headphone mode any more but the past test was accurate for stereo (speaker) mode for both cards and the new Mirror's Edge video is accurate for headphone mode.

However... SBX on/off testing would be doable now in non-OpenaL game.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,618 of 3,462
Nice one DJ - glad the SBZ works flawlesslyp with the 15.32 for you :smile:   Basically, we now have (sort of) supercharged Z's (lol.. exaggeration). I'd like to think that this setup at least matches, if not exceeds the ZxR. Silly thing to say.. of course it will. The amp alone says it all. Hoping for your feedback/comparison for games/movies when you're ready, but you did indicate in an earlier post that it's better for music for now.

I actually returned my OEM a while back and got a Z retail in exchange because it was a lower price than the OEM.  Now I have to deal with that damned LED too. Why didn't Creative stick with the blue colour scheme? Also I think the CP would look more professional. The sound volume problem I was having has magically sorted it out... I'll always be zeroing the volume on the Audio_gd just in case.

I haven't played around much with USB, but TBH optical works perfectly via the SBZ and really who plays 32bit audio files all the time?

Ya I think this setup is the way to go for sure in place of the zxr if you want external unit with sbx surround.

Lol 32 bit? I keep the windows mixer settings at 16 bit. I only ever do 24 bit through wasapi exclusive or asio in foobar.

I do think I will be happy with this setup for a really long time so I am glad there is that future proof element.

I do find the sound to be a little warmer and a little more emphasis on the lows which sbx already gives a tad. But its nothing crazy. Its actually pleasing since my dt770s can be pretty flat and I like bass. More fun during gameplay for explosions and the low cracks of sniper rifles in bf4 is insane. Doesn't detract from details at all either.

I was in audio hell these last 2 weeks with regular stereo for gaming lol.

@Anarion

Finally you can hear sbx surround like the rest of us lol. I knew something had to be wrong from the first time you described the reason for your dislike. It seemed like you were hearing a broken stereo enveloped effect.

How do you find sbx over cmss3d in premixed 5.1 games?

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #1,619 of 3,462
Well, I'm immensely pleased with my audio right now. I only came here on head-Fi to find out what to snap buy in terms of a decent setup, but I got to asking a few questions and you were all ultra helpful. I won't gush and give a roll call to all who helped, but TY the lot of you.

@DJ: 48 bit is the New Black btw.. we will never keep up. Nice to see your Wolfson amp doing it's thing on your DT's, and if and when you get your K712's, you'll be in shooter heaven (or something) with the SBZ+15.32.

We've got a SBX convert hopefully in Brother Anarion 
smile.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #1,620 of 3,462
@Anarion

Finally you can hear sbx surround like the rest of us lol. I knew something had to be wrong from the first time you described the reason for your dislike. It seemed like you were hearing a broken stereo enveloped effect.

How do you find sbx over cmss3d in premixed 5.1 games?

It's definitely better in my opinion, it sounds more natural.

I have small issue with headphone out though... Flash audio & video is incredibly loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back