Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Jul 4, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #407 of 645
They never mentioned/announced it or talked to us about it. 

It was different with the SBX LO/Optical Out thing for the X7. Some of us got PMs from Creative to describe the features we wanted. That was actually a good thing from them to do and imo good relations with the hardcore community will be more important in the future. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #408 of 645
I still suspect it's more of a licensing issue and less of a technological one. X7 and G5 use the same DSP chip so they should, in theory at least, support the same set of features.

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #409 of 645
  They never mentioned/announced it or talked to us about it. 

It was different with the SBX LO/Optical Out thing for the X7. Some of us got PMs from Creative to describe the features we wanted. That was actually a good thing from them to do and imo good relations with the hardcore community will be more important in the future. 

No but someone posted in here about an alleged chat they had with a Creative rep at some tech show.  Sounded like BS at the time so I'm not really surprised.

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #410 of 645
I still suspect it's more of a licensing issue and less of a technological one. X7 and G5 use the same DSP chip so they should, in theory at least, support the same set of features.

Yes, I think you're right about this. I recall some people from @madlustenvy's reached out to Fiio, who initially expressed interest, but concluded that the licensing costs were too high for them to bring such a device to market.

I reached out to the Oppo rep, @hasturtheyellow, and he advised he'll bring it up to his engineering teams, but I haven't heard if that sort of product makes sense for them.

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #411 of 645
No but someone posted in here about an alleged chat they had with a Creative rep at some tech show.  Sounded like BS at the time so I'm not really surprised.

Thing about features in upcoming products, sometimes the features change before release. And that's generally why companies keep development projects secret. The Creative G5 thing was a little different because it used familiar components (hardware) and it was just assumed by the community that the G5 would be a successor to the Recon3D and a competition to beat the Mixamp, so it was assumed it would decode Dolby for consoles. Probably something changed.

At this point, the reason to buy the G5 is for the hardware, not the software or processing IMO. The hardware is very competitive for the price. It also has a simple wiring setup. I am not counting on Dolby/DTS decoding on the G5 right now, but it took over a year for the X7 to get headphone processed outputs that are optimized to make the X7 part of a larger equipment chain. If decoding comes, it would be a nice bonus.

Yes, I think you're right about this. I recall some people from @madlustenvy's reached out to Fiio, who initially expressed interest, but concluded that the licensing costs were too high for them to bring such a device to market.

I reached out to the Oppo rep, @hasturtheyellow, and he advised he'll bring it up to his engineering teams, but I haven't heard if that sort of product makes sense for them.

Yeah, me, Stillhart, Mad, Chicolom (and others joined in) asking if FiiO could make a segment-beater by incorporating a headphone DSP into one or two of their existing products, two of the good people from FiiO asked what we wanted and why it would be a benefit. Ultimately, they did some research, looked at it from a financial and philosophy perspective, and decided that it was beyond the scope of FiiO's mission. They closed the thread, but I appreciated their time and consideration.

Coming back to Creative (and the G5), from a company perspective it kinda sucks to give a large part of the profit of each sold unit to another company, especially if there's special licensing restrictions or whatnot on how the device can be used and what features it can or cannot have. I bet making and selling Audio/Video Receivers is hellish because of all the expected features of Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master-class and blah blah blah features that are expected by consumers but largely just end up being utilized as stickers on the front of the AVR. My theory is, if it wasn't hard to do, Creative of all companies would have done it by now and just slayed the Mixamp by every metric. Still, even though it's hard, I still think it's worth doing :)

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #412 of 645
Hey, I have a G5 in like-new condition with an extra 10-ft optical cable in the Classifieds. PM me if you want to work out a deal.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/813814/fs-sound-blaster-g5-bundle-free-shipping-to-conus#post_12712977

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #413 of 645
Purchased this for $96 on sale at Best Buy this week. Compared to my Geek Out V2, I'm not that impressed, honestly. Some of the sound enhancements are nice, but ultimately very spotty in actual performance. The dialogue and music enhancer settings work about 5% better, so not mind blowing. I'm noticing the sibilance is pretty strong on both movie dialogue and the cymbals have a very strong tsss tsss sound, like a low bitrate mp3. The bass is punchy but definitely a little loose/muddy. I had to EQ it to flat to get it to sound decent (also I liked the Jazz preset).

Now, if I save an EQ profile, if I take this to another setup like between my receiver and TV, will it save that EQ profile or will it revert to standard/default? I'm going to assume it saves it.

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #414 of 645
Purchased this for $96 on sale at Best Buy this week. Compared to my Geek Out V2, I'm not that impressed, honestly. Some of the sound enhancements are nice, but ultimately very spotty in actual performance. The dialogue and music enhancer settings work about 5% better, so not mind blowing. I'm noticing the sibilance is pretty strong on both movie dialogue and the cymbals have a very strong tsss tsss sound, like a low bitrate mp3. The bass is punchy but definitely a little loose/muddy. I had to EQ it to flat to get it to sound decent (also I liked the Jazz preset).

Now, if I save an EQ profile, if I take this to another setup like between my receiver and TV, will it save that EQ profile or will it revert to standard/default? I'm going to assume it saves it.

It retails for half the price did u think it would be better?
Yes the profiles will save.

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #416 of 645
I recently got the G5 to pair with my K7XX mostly for gaming. I'm not sure what I expected but I can't tell the difference in gaming with games like CS:GO vs my motherboard sound. With scout mode, it just makes in game sounds louder but it's a little obnoxious. Listening to music, I don't hear a whole lot of difference either. I admit I'm no audiophile, but for the price, I thought I'd at least be able to tell a difference.

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #417 of 645
I recently got the G5 to pair with my K7XX mostly for gaming. I'm not sure what I expected but I can't tell the difference in gaming with games like CS:GO vs my motherboard sound. With scout mode, it just makes in game sounds louder but it's a little obnoxious. Listening to music, I don't hear a whole lot of difference either. I admit I'm no audiophile, but for the price, I thought I'd at least be able to tell a difference.

Set the game and Windows to 5.1 sound and enable sbx surround in the g5 panel.

Jul 29, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #418 of 645
7.1 :p

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #420 of 645
Set the game and Windows to 5.1 sound and enable sbx surround in the g5 panel.

I have game settings and acoustic engine set to 5.1. I suppose the directional positioning is ever so slightly better but other in game sounds are just different. It sounds closer and I wouldn't say it's better or worse. Do you guys really hear a positive difference when gaming? The realtek ALC1150 in my motherboard sounds just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back