Creative G5 discussion and reviews
May 24, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #377 of 645
Well he needs something now and already purchased the G5 since he will be using it for PC as well. But he can still cancel....

Need to pressure him lol

It will satisfy him for PC, and still has good quality and mic integration for console despite just having stereo for consoles.

May 25, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #378 of 645
​So what is everyone using as a setting for SBX surround? A few posts back someone reported that anything under 60% is bad. Do others share this assessment? Has anyone else tested what gives the best surround?

​Also, have you tried to do a blind test of the helicopter demo in the G5 software? Eyes closed and surround set to 67%, I had my girlfriend click different positions on that circular field to see if I can make out the position of the heli. Distance and left/right was obviously quite guessable, but I always failed to distinguish between front and back. I know that games are played with your eyes open and this helps in determining the direction of a sound. I'd still like to know if it's only me that can't hear the difference there.

May 25, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #379 of 645
Forget those tests. Test with games. The X7 test demo for instance is useless as well. Test ingame. 

I personally just use 100% as it's the best with the rear cues but it's definitely different than X7/SBZ's SBX. It has more reverb and thus stuff decays out slower making it harder to distinguish sounds. There's just more masking than the usual well-known SBX. 

Only CMSS-3D is even sharper making it the best competitive solution. All in all the G5's SBX solution is dissapointing.

May 25, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #380 of 645
  Forget those tests. Test with games. The X7 test demo for instance is useless as well. Test ingame. 

I personally just use 100% as it's the best with the rear cues but it's definitely different than X7/SBZ's SBX. It has more reverb and thus stuff decays out slower making it harder to distinguish sounds. There's just more masking than the usual well-known SBX. 

Only CMSS-3D is even sharper making it the best competitive solution. All in all the G5's SBX solution is dissapointing.

Interesting. Would you recommend using the MB3 software with the G5 instead of the Acoustic Pro Engine that comes with the device? I still have a key of it somehwere, I might give it a try and see if it's better. I think the MB3 surround is basically the same as the one used for the X7/SBZ's.

May 25, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #381 of 645
I would be curious about, if the E5 with its 7.1 SBX upgrade sounds any different compared to the G5's 7.1 surround.
Still big dissapointment about creative to touch the best virtual surround, and degrade it in soundquality with added reverb and stuff(nothing sounds as clean and open, and yet with positional accuracy as the original SBX-surround, so 7.1 my a..
mad.gif
).

SoundBlaster Z SPDIF-out -> SMSL SD793II -> O2(sounds about 100% the same as the Amp from the SMSL tho, maybe I need a better SPDIF DAC too
rolleyes.gif
) -> AKG 712

May 25, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #382 of 645
Don't bother thunda,

better try the TAC by Turtle Beach with DTS Headphone X.

Listed on amazon.de for June 12th

May 25, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #384 of 645
I have watched pre-processed DTS-X videos and the Zimmerman soundtrack apps, but nothing live yet. I'll hold off making judgement on that for now.

Also, I'm sure Creative thinks ahead and has a roadmap for what they want to do. The fact that they have a VR product (one of those phone holder headsets, which the Samsung one I demo'ed at Best Buy was surprisingly good) is IMO a good sign, and I hope Creative continues paying attention and becoming critical in that space.

Meanwhile, the fact that they added PC surround to the E5 gives me hope that they might continue to add functionality to the hardware available today.

May 25, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #385 of 645
I have watched pre-processed DTS-X videos and the Zimmerman soundtrack apps, but nothing live yet. I'll hold off making judgement on that for now.

Also, I'm sure Creative thinks ahead and has a roadmap for what they want to do. The fact that they have a VR product (one of those phone holder headsets, which the Samsung one I demo'ed at Best Buy was surprisingly good) is IMO a good sign, and I hope Creative continues paying attention and becoming critical in that space.

Meanwhile, the fact that they added PC surround to the E5 gives me hope that they might continue to add functionality to the hardware available today.

Zimmerman soundtrack apps?

Also didnt know the E5 got surround sound for PC...hmm

May 27, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #387 of 645
Yeah!
Let me show you... my pokemans...

Cool, I checked them out and headphone X sounds reverb-y like DH.

It is not enough to actually test DTS Headphone X capabilities to its max with those demos or music or even movies.

Seems like the TAC is the device for that testing. Im tempted to try it out but Im still a bit confused as to hogh the top surround speakers make any difference in terms of directional cues? Wouldnt games have to be made with Headphone X in mind? Or is that info in the DTS signal?

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #388 of 645
Hi

I currently own the soundblaster z but  due to alot of background noise on  the microphone im looking for an external device. I use the  crystal voice options alot  to minimize the noise damage, and i  have been wondering why you cant use an equalizer on the microphone to further enchance the quality. Looking at an e5 review i can see that there is a software option which i  dont have, "select mic eq" But  when i look at the reviews for the G5 i has completely different software and no options for "crystal voice".

Do one of you know if i am missing something from the reviews ? Does the G5 have microphone crystalvoice/equalizer options ?

/Bloch

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #389 of 645
Received my Turtle Beach TAC today. Will get a small comparison against the G5 later tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back