Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Jun 1, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #392 of 645
Quick summary and comparison. Using PS4 through optical cable.

TAC has more bass, larger soundstage and much better positioning.

G5 has quieter background and more powerful amp. The TAC has a VERY slight hiss at high volume.

TAC has mic monitoring, and it's easily adjustable. In fact, all mixing is very easy to adjust thanks to the top mounted sliders.

Con for TAC, not very powerful.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #393 of 645
Once Creative tweaks the SBX of the G5 to let it end up like the X7 (at least similar) and brings in AC3 support, the TAC will be history for consoles and PC. What a dissapointing product. If it let out DTS HPX over optical it would be interesting. 

Oh, I bought a nice mic from conquerator2. I'm really not experienced with such stuff. The basic idea was to banish headsets on PC forever so that I can use the Sennheiser for multiplayer. Looking at this thing: daamn that's one big mic. Slightly shocked. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #394 of 645
Hi guys,

I just ordered the Mass Drop AKG 7xx headphones and am wondering if the SB G5 will be able to power them? I'm on an mITX system and need the sound capabilities of the G5 for CSGO gaming.

Thanks

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #397 of 645
Once Creative tweaks the SBX of the G5 to let it end up like the X7 (at least similar) and brings in AC3 support, the TAC will be history for consoles and PC. What a dissapointing product. If it let out DTS HPX over optical it would be interesting. 

Oh, I bought a nice mic from conquerator2. I'm really not experienced with such stuff. The basic idea was to banish headsets on PC forever so that I can use the Sennheiser for multiplayer. Looking at this thing: daamn that's one big mic. Slightly shocked. :tongue_smile:

What makes it a "disappointing product."?

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #398 of 645
The TAC?

For 180€ cheap amping, probably (this is mere speculation though) high output impedance, and definitely no lineout/optical out with DTS HPX processed stereo. :[

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #400 of 645
apparently at least the latter

Look at the X7, it got the LO/Optical Out feature just a few days ago. Though it took quite a long time. They are very aware. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #401 of 645
Hi guys,

I just ordered the Mass Drop AKG 7xx headphones and am wondering if the SB G5 will be able to power them? I'm on an mITX system and need the sound capabilities of the G5 for CSGO gaming.

Thanks

The G5 does great with the AKG K712 (same power requirements as the K7XX) and K612 (almost twice the impedance, harder to drive). I have other amp/DACs that make these headphones sound weird and weak, but the G5 and E5 do a great job. I like high gain for my K612.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #402 of 645
Why the G5 over a soundblaster Z? 

This is what I have now. Realtek Mobo with SBXpro software and Astro Mix amp. 
So I can run optical from the mobo to the mixamp and either get Dolby headphone or I can use the SBX from the software package. 

Will I really benefit from the g5? Better amp and dac than the mix amp. Does it have better SBX quailty than the software package? 

Why not get a Soundblaster Z instead of a g5? 

Edit: NM. I just bought a X7 instead. 

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #403 of 645
Long time reader – first time poster!

I've just purchased a pair of X2's and currently running them off a Xonar STX.

Things don't sound right, and I suspect it's due to the 10 ohm output impedance of the STX. Boomy bass, muddy treble, things just sound 'jumbled together?'. Oddly enough it sounds great when plugged directly into an iMac.

I'm looking for a suitable DAC/AMP – primarily for gaming and movies (I don't sit at my PC listening to music unless I'm working – and it's usually spotify).

The G5 interests me – would it be an improvement over the STX? 2.2 ohm and PS4 compatibility does interest me...

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #404 of 645

Things don't sound right, and I suspect it's due to the 10 ohm output impedance of the STX. Boomy bass, muddy treble, things just sound 'jumbled together?'. Oddly enough it sounds great when plugged directly into an iMac.

I'm looking for a suitable DAC/AMP – primarily for gaming and movies (I don't sit at my PC listening to music unless I'm working – and it's usually spotify).

The G5 interests me – would it be an improvement over the STX? 2.2 ohm and PS4 compatibility does interest me...

Rule of thumb is the output impedance of the amp should be no more than 1/8th of the headphone impedance. In theory it should be better.

Jul 1, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #405 of 645

INteresting that the iMac sounds clearer! I've noticed that my iPhone 6S is a surprisingly good music player, but I haven't owned an iMac yet (my dad had a few when we were growing up). I would still expect the STX to sound better though, do you think maybe there are some settings or software messing things up?

I have a G5, and never heard an STX. Solely judging the DAC and Amp performance, they should actually be pretty close, except the G5 is external (so long as you have a good USB port the G5 should be unaffected by other EMI) and maybe the DAC is slightly less premium (but still likeable). I found my way around the Creative software pretty easily and it's also easy to adjust settings or turn off effects, so you can experiment with the effect of each and then reset all settings to default or turn off all effects and just hear the audio directly. Overall, the G5 is probably a side grade from the STX sonically, but it does have the added benefit of PS4 compatibility without having to turn your PC on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back