Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Feb 23, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #226 of 645
We have three tracks here: Track A (video), Track B (audio recorded using FRAPS/built-in recorder) and Track C (audio recorded using What U Hear). Tracks A and B are perfectly in sync by default. So just use Audacity to sync track C to track B. then it will be automatically synced with track A. All that's left now is to remove, now redundant, track B.

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #227 of 645
Hello, first post here to give my two cents on this, as I also noticed that there is somewhere a problem with the G5 surround sound.

I recorded a comparison between X-Fi MB3 and BlasterX G5 surround sounds:

From what I hear, the G5 always produce virtual surround, even when SBX surround is off, or when the device is set to stereo. If confirmed, this is a huge problem as I don't want surround sound when listening to stereo sources.

Activating SBX surround seems to only add some reverb effects; this is less noticeable at 67% by the way.

I'm not sure if there is any difference between MB3 and the G5 concerning surround sound positionning, Rear left is fine to me, but rear right seems to be too centered. As it may comes from my ears, I would be glad to have your opinion on this.

Please post your recorded comparison too, as mine is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate (bad recording settings is always possible).

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #228 of 645
@elaoin Are you using the latest drivers in Windows 10? I'd try rolling back to the previous drivers as I've read surround is messed up in the latest one.

Sorry I can't find any links to this on my phone but I definitely read it the other day.

On another note, ignoring possible surround issues, how does the G5 sound? Anyone used it with IEMs? Any other issues in Windows 10?

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #229 of 645
Not sure if anyone else here has the same problem. I'm trying to record footage using What U Hear + Audacity combo. However, regardless of my sample size and sample rate settings the recorded audio always sounds processed and robotic. Anybody here has managed to successfully record audio via What U Hear virtual device? If yes, what are Your recording settings?

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #230 of 645
@ReddFour I just installed an older version, the one from december, and after a listening comparison and using Audacity spectrums, they are strictly identical.

@Yethal you can try with another Audio Host in Audacity, such as "Windows Directsound". Also make sure you disable surround effects when listening to your records :)

I also did a spectrum comparison between X-Fi MB3 and BlasterX surround sounds, there are only slight differences. If interested, the file can be downloaded here : http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09711490761361169977

Concerning the "always on" surround, it looks like the G5 driver will process virtual surround every time a 5.1/7.1 source is played, even if SBX Surround is disabled. But when a stereo source is played, no virtual surround is applied. So it's OK I guess.

If someone can do some comparisons with an X7 or a SB Z, it would really help to check if there is something wrong with the G5.

edit: the Audacity file was incomplete, new link provided.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #231 of 645
@ReddFour and to answer your question, the G5 sounds great as it implements well known DAC and AMP chips. Creative also masters sound cards design, so you can't go really wrong.

I use it on a desktop PC as a replacement for MSI Audio Boost 2 (ALC 1150 + headphone AMP): soundstage is better, sound is warmer and significantly louder. Concerning mic input it's day and night. It produces a tiny white noise I didn't have on the mobo chipset, but it's barely noticeable and my headphones are quite sensitive. On windows 10 the BlasterX software is OK, just a few minor bugs when managing customized profiles.

I don't own serious IEMs to test, but you should be fine. With my 35 ohms ATH-MSR7 sound is very loud, even on low-gain mode, I had to decrease the gain through the software's equalizer. So if you own low-impedance IEMs and want to listen at very low volume, it might be a problem.

Of course the G5 is only for PC and laptop users looking for an external design with a mic input. There are probably better options out there if you don't care about the mic. For example a FiiO e10k + X-Fi MB3 ($29,99) should be a great gaming / movie / music combo.

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #232 of 645
Thanks for that really. Much appreciated. I currently have the e10k and can tell you that X-Fi mb3 does not work with it. The only software that does is Razer Surround.

My E10K is going back today as the E10K was the first time I had heard Razer Surround with a decent DAC and it just sounds bad. Once I have my refund from the E10K, I think I may just take a punt on the G5.

Interestingly, it seems you have a G5 to replace similar to me. I have a MSI Gaming 5 motherboard with ALC1150 which also supposedly has an amp capable of driving 600 Ohm headphones. However, even with my 32 Ohm Etymotic IEMs I am putting the volume on 100% and it is still not quite as loud as I would want it. In comparison, I only needed the E10K on about 30% volume. On top of that, the microphone port on the motherboard is completely useless but I already have a USB mic as a replacement for that.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #233 of 645
X-Fi MB3 should work with any soundcard, chipset or external DAC/AMP. But it's quite tricky to configure, as you have make MB3 virtual device the default output, set it to 7.1, redirect MB3 output to your real device, and set MB3 to headphones mode.

Razer surround is good for sound positionning, but I find it to be far less immersive than SBX. And the main problem for me is that you have to enable surround to use other sound enhancement features, such as the bass boost (which you don't need on a e10k btw).

It looks like we are in a similar situation : the chipset on my Z87-G45 was fine, but mic input was garbage and output lacked of loudness even if a 600 ohm amp is integrated. It is probably due to an automatic gain adjustment which limits the volume to comply with all region-specific standards and also avoid any law suite in case of ear-damage due to high-volume listening.

On the paper the G5 has better specs than the e10k (24 bits/192 kHz vs 24 bits/96 kHz, 120db SNR vs 105db SNR, 600 ohm vs 150 ohm headphone amp), so even if numbers are just numbers it should be a slight upgrade. Concerning sound signature Creative knows its buisness, so for immersive gaming and movies it's perfect. If you are picky on pure music listening maybe the e10k is a better choice, but the G5 should do just fine for any kind of music.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #234 of 645
MB3 won't let you set the output to E10K. It doesn't see it or says unsupported device (I can't remember which now).

When I spoke to Creative support they said it was meant for on-board audio only.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #235 of 645
The OEM version of MB3 (or any SB software) will work only with some on-board chips, but the retail version should work with any device. For example it works fine with the G5.

It will say "unsupported device" when it's not activated, or when not properly configured (for example if the physical device is deactivated).

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #236 of 645
Creative support guy told me the wrong thing then which isn't that surprising.

However, does the X-Fi MB3 software work similar to the new BlasterX Lite software in which it will work with any audio device but only support the same number of channels as the real device? The BlasterX Lite would work with the E10K but still only show up as a 2.0 device and hence games would not send 5.1/7.1 audio to it. Making it pointless for virtual surround.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #237 of 645
What MB3 do is that it will add a virtual device which can be set to stereo, 5.1 or 7.1. To experience surround sound, you have to set the virtual device to 5.1/7.1, make it default, then set the MB3 GUI to headphone mode and activate SBX surround. Once done, every application will see the device as a 5.1/7.1 system, send multichannel audio to it, and MB3 will process HRTF on it and finally output a virtual surround stereo mix to your physical device.

I never tried BlasterX Lite, but I supposed it worked the same way. If it does not create a virtual device which can be set to 5.1/7.1, I agree with you applications will only send 2 channels which will be processed to give a surround "feeling", so just pointless distorsion.

Maybe I'll try this soft as I find it strange from Creative to do that.

At least this is my understanding, but it's also possible that all devices I tried with MB3 were 7.1 capable, and that's why I always saw the virtual device supporting 5.1/7.1 channels.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #238 of 645
I would be interested to know what options the X-Fi MB3 virtual device gives if the attached device is only 2.0.

I am certain the BlasterX Lite software will only give the same options as the attached device. So if the physical device is 7.1 it will allow itself to be set to 7.1 but if the physical device is only 2.0, like the E10K, then the virtual device can only be set to 2.0. I actually tried to get round this limitation by putting another virtual device (VB-Audio Virtual Cable) in between the two which was set to 5.1 or 7.1 but it seemed BlasterX Lite was "clever" enough to know what I was trying to do and not allowing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back