Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Feb 14, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #197 of 645
Mine still works after two months

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #198 of 645
What is the best way to hook the g5 up for higher end headphones?  I've been using my k7xx with a boompro hooked directly into the microphone/headphone jack on the front of the g5 and have the line out going to my powered speakers.  I've been thinking about upgrading headphones significantly and was wondering what the best way to go about this.  Since the g5 is usb powered and is limited by the 2.2ohm output I assumed plugging the line out into another amp would the the way to go, but wanted to seek some advice out before I decided what upgrade path to go.

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #199 of 645
What is the best way to hook the g5 up for higher end headphones?  I've been using my k7xx with a boompro hooked directly into the microphone/headphone jack on the front of the g5 and have the line out going to my powered speakers.  I've been thinking about upgrading headphones significantly and was wondering what the best way to go about this.  Since the g5 is usb powered and is limited by the 2.2ohm output I assumed plugging the line out into another amp would the the way to go, but wanted to seek some advice out before I decided what upgrade path to go.

Yes. Use the line out to an amp. Of your amp doesn't have a 3.5mm line in use a 3.5mm to rca adapter.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #200 of 645

Well esk1,
Once you plug into a different amp, the USB power supply and 2.2 ohm output impedance of the G5's headphone jack don't matter... That's because Your headphone will only "see" the output impedance and power of the different amp.

With that said, connecting the different/upgraded amp to the G5's line-out is still preferable because it's a more direct connection to the G5's DAC. The line-out bypasses the G5's amping circuitry.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #202 of 645
I remember that every review of the O2 amp I read mentioned that all inputs and outputs are on the front and that it creates clutter. Frankly, I never understood what the big deal was. But then I looked at this photo above. I get it now.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #203 of 645
sound signature compared G5 to ZXR ?
the sound is analytic and unforgiven like ZXR or it is more musical ?

bass enphasizing is very noticeable or slight ? 

I don't know. I figure, the majority of people either want an internal soundcard, or an external device that works with multiple devices.

I wouldn't call the ZxR unforgiving, in fact it was quite highly regarded in reviews, and you can tweak the sound signature by rolling OpAmps and changing EQ and software settings in the SBX suite. The G5 also can change EQ and software settings in the SBX suite.

The amps in both are similar, strong enough that you won't feel like you're missing anything and is in the same quality class as amps near their price range. They stand out from similar-class gear like the FiiO E09K, E12, and Schiit Magni because of all the Creative software and features. Are there better amps, or better DACs, than the G5 and ZxR? Sure. But you have to spend significantly more than "good enough" to get amps that are easy to recognize as better performing and better tonally.

I'm still hoping for console surround and DTS/Dolby decoding.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #204 of 645
H5 headset is on Massdrop

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/creative-blasterx-h5-pro-gaming-headset?utm_placement=0&referer=KFRHVN&mode=guest_open&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202016-02-15&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #205 of 645
new drivers http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=13624

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #207 of 645
new drivers add 5.1 support for windows (previously only 7.1 and 2.0) , looks like they are preparing for the DD update :D

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #210 of 645
  new drivers add 5.1 support for windows (previously only 7.1 and 2.0) , looks like they are preparing for the DD update :D

Nice to see they are doing work. Im still going to wait until later this year to purchase the G5, since my Recon3D is doing just fine and dandy but would like the extra juice from the G5 to power something more poweful :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back