Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Jan 23, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #166 of 645
Height cues would make a difference, object-oriented processing would be even better, Dolby 7.1 isn't an improvement over Dolby 5.1 when feeding a headphone algorythm.

Yeah, I noticed and tested that 7.1 VSS isn't any different than 5.1 VSS. I mean it really is hard to distinguish the separation of the other 2 channels.

This is by using 7.1 and 5.1 test files.

Anyways, ever since I read that the G5 is getting a firmware update for console support...I'm interested in the G5 again.

But I do hope they can make an app for it as well.

Having to connect to a Pc to change setting like the Recon3D felt kind o tedious for me. Well feels, since I still currently use one

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #167 of 645
  G5 can't either, Dolby Digital is a 5.1 standard additional two channels are matrixed using Dolby Pro Logic IIz . It's not an actual 7.1 signal. Also the two additional channels are 100% useless for virtualization.

Just feel like this needs to be reiterated, in case Dolby support gets added to the G5... the 7.1 signal from PC will still be 7 channels, but 5 is basically the best you can get from a console. Thanks for wording it well Yethal!

I agree about the mobile app for the G5. I mean, I don't have the G5 and Creative might have made a custom app for it, BUT the decent Sound Blaster Central app that creative used for the E series and Z-series wireless headphones (it also can control my X7, I noticed) hasn't been updated yet for compatibility with iOS 9 yet.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #168 of 645
Just feel like this needs to be reiterated, in case Dolby support gets added to the G5... the 7.1 signal from PC will still be 7 channels, but 5 is basically the best you can get from a console. Thanks for wording it well Yethal!

I agree about the mobile app for the G5. I mean, I don't have the G5 and Creative might have made a custom app for it, BUT the decent Sound Blaster Central app that creative used for the E series and Z-series wireless headphones (it also can control my X7, I noticed) hasn't been updated yet for compatibility with iOS 9 yet.

So @evshrug and @yethal: I just had an idea. Is it possible to grab a mid-end avr with really good virtual surround processing (Marantz or Yamaha, perhaps), and output that processed signal to a high-end headphone amp via optical?

Effectively, we'd just be using the DAC and DSP from the avr, but circumventing avr's lousy headphone amp/jacks.

Could this work in theory?

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #169 of 645
So @evshrug and @yethal: I just had an idea. Is it possible to grab a mid-end avr with really good virtual surround processing (Marantz or Yamaha, perhaps), and output that processed signal to a high-end headphone amp via optical?

Effectively, we'd just be using the DAC and DSP from the avr, but circumventing avr's lousy headphone amp/jacks.

No, most of them only output virtual surround through the headphone jack.  You'd have to double amp.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #171 of 645
Ok, that's why no one suggested this before then.

What are you gaming on now? I know you have some very good gear.

On my PS4, I use the Creative Recon3D USB double amped through my Garage1217 Project Solstice.  The Q701 needs the extra amping.  I'm hoping the G5 can replace the Recon and not require the double amping, but we'll see.  I plan on doing a comparison of the two eventually when the G5 is made usable.

On my Xbone, I use a Mixamp Wireless double amped with my JDS Labs C5 portable amp.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #172 of 645
On my PS4, I use the Creative Recon3D USB double amped through my Garage1217 Project Solstice.  The Q701 needs the extra amping.  I'm hoping the G5 can replace the Recon and not require the double amping, but we'll see.  I plan on doing a comparison of the two eventually when the G5 is made usable.

On my Xbone, I use a Mixamp Wireless double amped with my JDS Labs C5 portable amp.

I look forward to your G5 review.

I'm leaning toward dumping my X7 and putting the money toward a decent desktop amp.

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #173 of 645
Does anybody now if the G5 supports driverless installation (USB Audio 1.0)? I do not expect the whole SBX / Surround stuff to work but is there a chance to get at least 24/96 audio from it?

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #174 of 645

There is one such device. It's called Smyth Realuzer and it uses hdmi instead of optical for input. Ridiculously expensive though.

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #175 of 645
There is one such device. It's called Smyth Realuzer and it uses hdmi instead of optical for input. Ridiculously expensive though.

The Smyth Realizer is like $3k, but as of CanJam SoCal last year, they're working on an upgraded version that'll be priced around half that!  It's a lot of money, but let me tell you, it's the best virtual surround DSP I've heard by a mile.  It actually tracks your head position and makes it so the sounds always come from the same direction when you turn your head.  It's bad ass!

Sorry for the off-topic post, but man that thing was cool!

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #176 of 645

The Smyth Realizer is like $3k, but as of CanJam SoCal last year, they're working on an upgraded version that'll be priced around half that!  It's a lot of money, but let me tell you, it's the best virtual surround DSP I've heard by a mile.  It actually tracks your head position and makes it so the sounds always come from the same direction when you turn your head.  It's bad ass!

I wish I could've heard that. Unfortunately there are no Realiser recordings on Youtube, and even if they were they wouldn't capture the whole experience.
I think I need a better job.

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #177 of 645

Yeah, I've read that the Smyth Realizer is a crazy-cool device.

At that price, however, I could build a truly killer 5.1 or 7.1 system.

But, yeah, I'm holding put hope someone will scratch the itch that Creative is missing.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #178 of 645
I've been lobbying Oppo to make a G5/Mixamp competitor based on their awesome HA-2, similar to how Creative based the G5 on the E5.

Those guys are very nice, but I'm not an engineer, and wonder whether they can hit the $299 price point I suggested.

Where's Massdrop when you need them, lol?

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #179 of 645
I've been lobbying Oppo to make a G5/Mixamp competitor based on their awesome HA-2, similar to how Creative based the G5 on the E5.

Those guys are very nice, but I'm not an engineer, and wonder whether they can hit the $299 price point I suggested.

Where's Massdrop when you need them, lol?

I already hit up a few companies about making a competitor, but it doesn't seem like there's much interest.  I do know a guy who works at Cavalli now tho... hmmmmm...

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #180 of 645

I use this kind of setup when I do single player gaming or movie/TV watching, but as Stillhart said, yeah virtual surround is only typically output via the headphone jack.

So, my setup goes HDMI from consoles > Marantz > Headphone Jack > Schitt Magni 2U.  I'm sure some higher ohm cans would work well enough straight off the Marantz, but all the ones I have are lower ohm and I feel the bass is better controlled via the double amping.

I have a Mixamp which I use whenever I want to chat, but for everything else, I didn't care for the hiss of the mixamp, nor the bass being cut off below 35Hz (really sucked having distortion in movies with rumbling bass), so the AVR with Dolby Headphone processing made the most sense for me.

I told a friend of mine I'm almost afraid to try the G5, though, cuz if I end up liking SBX more than DH, I will have negated a large reason for purchasing the AVR! 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back