Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Jan 22, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #155 of 645
Subbing to this thread for info on the console dolby upgrade.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #157 of 645

It's opinion, but well established opinion. The smaller the room, the more challenging it is for the listener to discern between a 5.1 and 7.1 system. Sure some may be able to hear the difference, but it's going to be marginal at best. If you're willing to spend the extra money to have 7.1, go for it. I share the opinion that the difference is not worth the investment if you're in a 10x15 bedroom but absolutely worth the difference if your room is, say, 15x24.

Source: Years in the AV sales world.

So Dolby Atmos is useless?

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #159 of 645

Please don't take my words about a physical surround experience and assume the same concept directly correlates to surround DSPs and headphones. They're two different worlds.

I wasnt saying you are wrong about it and I was still talking about physical surround sound. I know both are different worlds lol.

Sounds like you thought I was being offensive, which im not :)

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #160 of 645
  I wasnt saying you are wrong about it and I was still talking about physical surround sound. I know both are different worlds lol.

Sounds like you thought I was being offensive, which im not :)

I didn't take it as being offensive, but I don't want to be quoted as saying that Dolby Atmos is the same as any surround setup or that it's useless. I've never heard it with headphones so I cannot say how the two configurations compare. There's a near theater near my house with Atmos on one screen and it sounds great on the big screen. My experience with Atmos ends there.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #161 of 645

I didn't take it as being offensive, but I don't want to be quoted as saying that Dolby Atmos is the same as any surround setup or that it's useless. I've never heard it with headphones so I cannot say how the two configurations compare. There's a near theater near my house with Atmos on one screen and it sounds great on the big screen. My experience with Atmos ends there.

I went to watch Star Wars TFA with Dolby Atmos and its awesome.....

But I wasnt even talking about Dolby Atmos in headphones lol

Just physical surround.....

Though I have a feeling that Dolby Atmos for headphones could be a possibility since DTS X is starting to make more of a presence.

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #162 of 645
So Dolby Atmos is useless?

You know enough to know 5.1 vs 7.1 is a totally different ballgame that does not include Atmos. 5.1/7.1 is 2D, and the point being made by several here was that the typical human ear needs more space between rear channels (bigger room so that you can separate the speakers apart more) to be able to tell that the direction is different.

And that if a home theater surround speaker setup is desired, it's best just to use an HDMI connection. The X7 has some unpowered analog 3.5mm outputs intended for active, nearfield speakers, but if the goal is not to use nearfield speakers and use 5 or more big boys to fill a large space then just use an AVR and HDMI, save yourself a headache and unnecessary complexity.

The G5 [thread topic] is a headphone device with all output in stereo intended for a pair of headphone drivers (even if said output is processed so using two drivers sound like a surround setup).

Atmos is not a feature of this product or thread. However, YES a 3D audio setup sounds different than a 7.1/5.1 setup, and YES Axel knows that 2D audio < > 3D audio. You did sound like you were challenging Axel, and from a bystander standpoint it was like seeing two people discussing if peanut butter has a good amount of protein, and suddenly you pop in to say "Not if you're allergic!" or "I like Nutella!"

Side note: I like Nutella. But let's not talk about it or the 4 jars I have in the cupboard.

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #163 of 645
You know enough to know 5.1 vs 7.1 is a totally different ballgame that does not include Atmos. 5.1/7.1 is 2D, and the point being made by several here was that the typical human ear needs more space between rear channels (bigger room so that you can separate the speakers apart more) to be able to tell that the direction is different.

And that if a home theater surround speaker setup is desired, it's best just to use an HDMI connection. The X7 has some unpowered analog 3.5mm outputs intended for active, nearfield speakers, but if the goal is not to use nearfield speakers and use 5 or more big boys to fill a large space then just use an AVR and HDMI, save yourself a headache and unnecessary complexity.

The G5 [thread topic] is a headphone device with all output in stereo intended for a pair of headphone drivers (even if said output is processed so using two drivers sound like a surround setup).

Atmos is not a feature of this product or thread. However, YES a 3D audio setup sounds different than a 7.1/5.1 setup, and YES Axel knows that 2D audio < > 3D audio. You did sound like you were challenging Axel, and from a bystander standpoint it was like seeing two people discussing if peanut butter has a good amount of protein, and suddenly you pop in to say "Not if you're allergic!" or "I like Nutella!"

Side note: I like Nutella. But let's not talk about it or the 4 jars I have in the cupboard.

Yeah it did sound like I was challenging him lol but I wasn't. Was more about asking his opinion about it.

But yeah, I understand the concept of having a bigger room if you have more channels to have notice the separation.

Though I wonder if technology would allow or such expansion in a headphone to be able to add and benefit for more channels? Or is this the limit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back