Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Dec 20, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #78 of 645
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/791792/creative-sound-blasterx-g5-usb-dac-amp-with-7-1-sbx-pro-studio

Creative G5 thread in the correct subforum.

Why make a new thread?  That just confuses people.  Just ask the mods to move this one if it's a big deal.

EDIT - Also, I think this is a fine forum for it since the G5 claims to be a gaming device.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #79 of 645
Creative Sound BlasterX G5 On The Creative Site

Promo Code: BLASTG5 currently works on the Creative store giving a $40 discount. It will also give a discount of €40 and £40 in the UK. It will likely work in other countries in their local currencies.

Current price of the G5 on the Creative store without discount:

1. $149.99
  2. €149.99
  3. £129.99

I expect the G5 will likely end up selling for around the discount price within a few months.

Creative need to release specifications with more detail. Specifically, the power output into 32Ω, 300Ω and 600Ω and the maximum voltage and current output.

Both the E5 and G5 have an output impedance of 2.2Ω

Sound Blaster Z has an output impedance of 22Ω and the ZXR has an output impedance of 39Ω. The X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro has an output impedance of 11Ω. The X-Fi Titanium HD has an output impedance of 35Ω. The Asus Xonar Essence STX has an output impedance of 10Ω.

Creative E5 Power Output - Source

1. 32Ω - ~1.84V, 105mW (Low Gain)
  2. 300Ω - ~ 1.78V, 109 mW (High Gain)
  3. 600Ω - ~ 5.72V, 54mW (High Gain)
  4. Headphone Output Impedance 2.2Ω

It's not the best info but is something. I'd like to know maximum power output into 32Ω on high gain as there are quite a few low sensitivity, low impedance headphones.

Differences between the Creative E5 and G5:

The E5 has a 3200mAh battery, supports bluetooth including AptX Low Latency and a built in microphone but doesn't support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound.

The G5 doesn't have a battery, support bluetooth or have a built-in microphone but does support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound on PC only.

The Sound Blaster X7 doesn't support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound but does support 5.1 Virtual Surround Sound.

Important things to note:

1. The G5 and E5 CANNOT decode Dolby Digital. This means that you cannot get 5.1/7.1 Virtual Surround Sound on consoles.
  2. The G5 works as a Stereo USB DAC when connected to the PS4. On the Xbox One you should use Optical Input for Stereo audio. You can only get Stereo on consoles.

If you want Virtual Surround Sound on consoles then get an Astro Mixamp, Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS2 or Sound Blaster X7. The Mixamp and Ear Force use Dolby Headphone. Dolby Headphone 7.1 is only 5.1 upmixed and not true 7.1. The Sound Blaster X7 can decode Dolby Digital so you can get 5.1 Virtual Surround Sound SBX Pro Studio on consoles with that.
  3. The headphone input on the left of the G5 supports TRRS Headphone + Mic combos.
  4. You can use the Line Out on the G5 so it acts just as a DAC.
  5. Virtual Surround Sound Processed Audio can be sent over the Optical Output. VSS processed audio is Stereo because it's meant to be used with Headphones.
  6. The G5 really shouldn't exist. If Creative did their jobs properly the E5 would support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound and Dolby Digital Decoding. The X7 would support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound as well.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #80 of 645
I received by G5 today. This will be a running blog for now.

Things in the box:

1. Sound BlasterX G5 USB DAC/Amp
  2. Optical cable
  3. ~1m USB cable
  4. Instruction booklets

When plugged into my computer running Windows 7 x64 it appears as a Stereo only device that only supports 24bit 48Khz out. The virtual surround sound is on by default I noticed.

After installing the software it can then appear as a Stereo or 7.1 Speaker system in Windows Speaker configuration. It can't appear as a 5.1 speaker system but that might not be an issue as 5.1 should output to 7.1 ok.

After installing the software and doing a restart the G5 drivers didn't install properly for some reason and in Device Manager it just appear as USB Audio Device with code 10 not working. I then right clicked on it to Device Manager. Selected Properties. Clicked the second tab Drivers. Selected Update Drivers, Selected Browse My Computer for Software, Selected Let Me Pick From A List then Selected Sound BlasterX G5. It installed the drivers successfully this time and would appear as a Playback Device.

After the software is installed the G5 supports these bit depth and sample rates:

1. 16/44.1
  2. 16/48
  3. 16/88.2
  4. 16/96
  5. 24/44.1
  6. 24/48
  7. 24/96

The G5 supports Direct Mode and SPDIF-Out Direct which enables an unaltered bistream with no processing. The software also allows you to mix multiple inputs like Line In/SPDIF In and Microphone In.

The Line Out to an amplifier works fine. Creative needs to tell us what the Line Out voltage is though.

Ticking Direct Mode disables any processing as expected. Direct Mode does not force the volume control to 100% in Windows.

I'm still very concerned about the Volume Control being linked to the Windows Operating system. It should not be linked so that no rogue software can reset the volume to 100 and destroy your headphones and hearing. Using the Line Out to an amplifier can protect you from this and I would strongly recommend that but it is an additional cost.

The volume control digital controller has no clicks and will spin infinitely in either direction. The intensity of the red LED around it will tell you how loud it is but that is incredibly vague.

Pushing the volume control button in will mute it. Muting is not the same thing as resetting vole to 0. Moving the volume control wheel will unmute it and change volume from the setting it was at last before the mute button was pressed.

Using WASAPI Push in Foobar2K to the Sound Blaster G5 the Windows volume control still works. Any processing like Crystalizer/Virtual Surround Sound will still be applied when WASAPI is used. To disable this tick Direct Mode.

Pressing the SBX button on the side will change profiles.

General construction of the side buttons doesn't feel great. Should have used metal.

Construction is all plastic except the volume wheel. The case construction is ok but Fiio makes their stuff out of metal.

There is no way to turn off the LEDS on the DAC/Amp but they aren't that bright so I'm not that bothered. Nowhere near as bright as Schiit. I'll just put black electrical tape over it.

Line In and SPDIF In appear in Recordings Devices on Windows. There is also What U Hear as well.

I'll experiment with the multiple sources mixing later with my PS3 using optical input and audio from my PC.

The 3.5mm input is very stiff on the front.

The Windows Volume Control also affects the volume of the Line Out.

Creative Alchemy is also included with the software.

The BlasterX software takes up 76000K in memory.

Bug: In Advanced Settings of the SBX software switching to 7.1 will change speaker output to 7.1 FULL RANGE SPEAKERS when I think it should be set to 7.1 without Full Range speakers ticked.

Criticisms for Creative about the G5

1. This is all the functionality the Creative Sound Blaster E5 should have had. There is no reason for the G5 to exist and the E5 should support 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound. The E5 should be revised to enable this.
  2. The volume control needs to be unlinked from the Windows operating system. Use an IC to control volume like the Fiio E17k or put a physical potentiometer in there. I prefer the IC solution as potentiometers have channel imbalances when very low.

I'm very concerned about the Volume Control being linked to the Windows Operating system. It should not be linked so that no rogue software can reset the volume to 100 and destroy your headphones and hearing. Using the Line Out to an amplifier can protect you from this and I would strongly recommend that but it is an additional cost.

3. The specifications need to be more detailed. Look at the specifications for Fiio and Schiit.
  4. The E5/G5 should decode Dolby Digital so that people on consoles can get 5.1 virtual surround sound. Nobody is going to buy an X7 just for virtual surround sound on consoles with headphones. You are just losing marketshare to the Astro Mixamp.
  5. Metal construction for all the case and all the buttons next time. Ensure those side switches do not feel loose like they do now.
  6. The 3.5mm jack inputs on the front are very stiff. Needs a surprising amount of force to fully input.
  7. The output impedance should be as low as possible.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #81 of 645
Well my G5 isn't working this morning for some reason. I've gone through the usual steps and reset the device to factory defaults but no sound will play. Windows is outputting to the device correctly but the DAC isn't working for the Line Out or Headphone out. I'm going to return it.

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #82 of 645
Reading all these comments makes me quite disappointed. I was really hoping that the G5 would be able to replace my 2011 Mixamp.
I have been looking for something that offers a more EQ options.

What do you guys think I should do? Because now really the only options are to 'upgrade' to a newer mixamp, or get the DSS2. Speaking of the DSS2, anyone here now if you can get mic audio to output through the DSS2? I may just go for that over the newer mixamp. Is the sound quality comparable or is the quality significantly poorer in regards to positional accuracy.

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #83 of 645
If you want surround on PC, the G5 is still going to be a very good option. The clarity and technical ability is easily better than a Mixamp or DSS... it's just that the G5 is a stereo device for consoles.

Now, I haven't heard the DSS2 or the new Mixamp TR myself, but they're still in the same class as their predecessors.

With the DSS I had, all I had to do was plug in a USB mic, but I really can't give you specific advice without knowing what platform you want to play on?

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #84 of 645
Is there any reason to get the G5 over the Omni if you're just using it for PC?

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #85 of 645
lower impedance output making it pretty unprone to change the FR of HPs from 17 ohm on (not sure about the ma900)
better SQ overall and amping
7.1 over 5.1 Virtual Speakers

Even though it is not accepting 5.1 from optical but pure Stereo from consoles and SBXing it the dreaded hard panning of DEDICATED STEREO GAMING is not happening so it's at least not worse and imo better

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #87 of 645
If you want surround on PC, the G5 is still going to be a very good option. The clarity and technical ability is easily better than a Mixamp or DSS... it's just that the G5 is a stereo device for consoles.

Now, I haven't heard the DSS2 or the new Mixamp TR myself, but they're still in the same class as their predecessors.

With the DSS I had, all I had to do was plug in a USB mic, but I really can't give you specific advice without knowing what platform you want to play on?

I play on ps4 and xbox one.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #88 of 645
Reading all these comments makes me quite disappointed. I was really hoping that the G5 would be able to replace my 2011 Mixamp.

I have been looking for something that offers a more EQ options.

What do you guys think I should do? Because now really the only options are to 'upgrade' to a newer mixamp, or get the DSS2. Speaking of the DSS2, anyone here now if you can get mic audio to output through the DSS2? I may just go for that over the newer mixamp. Is the sound quality comparable or is the quality significantly poorer in regards to positional accuracy.

I share your disappointment for the G5, as I hoped to get one to use with my PS4. I don't need it for PC gaming, as I already have the ZX in my rig. For consoles, I own the DSS (not DSS2) and the gen 2 Mixamp Pro. Been testing them side by side a bit. Since they both use DH, the positional cues are accurate and detailed with each. I play with the Sennheiser GAME ONE headset (my first open back set) and I love the sense of spacial depth I can perceive with both devices through the headset.

The DSS has a bit more bass to it, and it has a bass boost dial on the side to increase or decrease the effect. I tend to keep this dialed down, as the headset has a decent amount of bass oomph for my tastes. There's no other EQ features other than the bass dial, but the sound quality you get for sub-$20 is excellent. I find there is very little audible noise on the DSS, a faint hiss at max volume. Not enough noise to my ear to be distracting or bothersome during gaming sessions.

A limitation of the DSS is the fact that the device does not (to my knowledge) mix chat audio for non-Turtle Beach headsets and has no dedicated mic input. You can use a USB mic, like Ev suggested, or a USB sound card (like the oft-mentioned Syba) in the pass thru USB port on the DSS to get the PS4 to recognize a microphone. I have a Syba but haven't tested it much yet. I know the PS4 is picking up my voice as I've recorded test messages, but I haven't tried it with game chat. I've read the DSS2 can do chat mixing, but it uses a different 4 speaker virtual profile than the virtual 7.1 of the original DSS. Sound quality is said to be comparable.

If chat is important to you, the Mixamp does make connectivity simple. The Mixamp Pro gen 2 has four EQ modes that you can toggle between, but I find the default mode is fine for me. The Mixamp has more hiss to it than the DSS, and i find that if i raise the gain past the halfway point on the dial, it gets very noticeable. I've tried mitigating this by amping, but my Fiio E6 isn't powerful enough to get the volume where i want it. I'll be looking for another amp to try with the Mixamp (suggestions welcome). The new Mixamp TR does have more EQ options via the Astro Command Center app, so you might want to go with that device if having EQ options is a must have. For me, it came down to budget and I got the Mixamp gen 2 off eBay for $80. I don't think I'd spend much more on an Astro device, truth be told.

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #89 of 645
Yeah, very disappointing.

The main issue with using a USB mic, aside from not being able to adjust gains and such for limited background noise, is that you can't use one on the X1.

And mic quality on the mixamp is just dreadful unless you're using a an Astro headset.

Which is why I was considering the DSS.

I have considered the X7, but from what I have read, I don't feel like it will offer the positional accuracy upgrade that merits the price tag. For just another £100 extra, I could get a AV Reciever that offers DH.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #90 of 645
(Double posting from the E5 thread, not sure how much traffic intersects between the threads.)

I don't really understand why console VSS was omitted from the G5, aren't surround formats just decoded within software? Does creative have an official response on their reasoning for the omission? I really feel like it was to give the x7 an extra defining feature, which is dumb may I add. They can essentially wrap up the market astro holds with that one feature on the g5.

Another thought, don't manufacturers pay Dolby for use of the format? Is it possible they omitted the feature to increase margin (which seems to be a large margin being that they could afford to drop it $40 at release)? With that being said, back in the X-Fi days, I believe dolby wasn't originally supported on those x-fi cards and "compatibility" for the format was later sold as an add-on feature. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back