Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Dec 31, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #91 of 645
I received mine a few days ago and I am quite happy with it. But be warned that you have to edit the default profiles a bit as they apply a bit too much processing. Other than that I like the fact than you can select direct output and that it supports processed output on both digital and line out. As my laptop already came with this X-FI MB5 software I am happy that this deactivates itself automatically when you plug in the G5. So no issues here. The best setting for music for me is a modified "Music" profile with no EQ and just 25 instead of 50 on the Crystalizer setting. But that depends on the music. For more classical music I think I would go with direct output :) PS: I use them together with AKG K271 and I have to be careful as it get too bassy too soon :wink:

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #94 of 645
This actually looks promising:

I have a question.

My advanced settings are a bit different

http://i64.tinypic.com/30d9g7k.jpg

I have not the possibility to choose Virtual Surround. Why?
SO: Windows 10 Home
G5 connected by USB and a pair of Superlux HD681 Evo plugged in to BlasterX G5.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #100 of 645

Wait, ignore me. I was plugged into the Mixamp and not the G5! Sorry!

Using Line Out with a 3.5mm plug to a Schiit Vali and I can change volume using the G5. So you may be right, this could be double-amping...

That's not double amping since the line-out signal does not go through an amp, it's more of a pre-amp out so You can control volume of Your speakers using the G5. However preamp out =/= headphone out.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #102 of 645
A variable pre-amp out is possible because the volume is being lowered digitally before the DAC/Amp phase. While I still feel double-amping with two low-distortion amps can be very satisfying anyway, the pre-amp line output is truly a line-out and not the same as the headphone amp.

If you use optical out (which is digital), you have to connect to another DAC before you can connect to an amp. And the other DAC/amp you might want to use would have to be significantly better to make a noticeable improvement.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #103 of 645
A variable pre-amp out is possible because the volume is being lowered digitally before the DAC/Amp phase. While I still feel double-amping with two low-distortion amps can be very satisfying anyway, the pre-amp line output is truly a line-out and not the same as the headphone amp.

If you use optical out (which is digital), you have to connect to another DAC before you can connect to an amp. And the other DAC/amp you might want to use would have to be significantly better to make a noticeable improvement.

Thanks for the great explanation sir!

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #104 of 645

I have a question.

My advanced settings are a bit different

http://i64.tinypic.com/30d9g7k.jpg

I have not the possibility to choose Virtual Surround. Why?
SO: Windows 10 Home
G5 connected by USB and a pair of Superlux HD681 Evo plugged in to BlasterX G5.

I answer myself: installation of drivers failed.
I had to install them in safe mode.

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #105 of 645
I spoke with the Creative guys at CES last week.  It seems the issue of it not processing surround over optical (so it doesn't work with consoles) is going to be resolved Soon.  When I said "T.M." after he said "Soon", he went "Oh no, not that far out.  Actually soon."  They will be pushing it down in a firmware update once it's ready to go.

Rejoice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back