Creative G5 discussion and reviews
Dec 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #512 of 645
they didn't

I specifically wrote them a few weeks ago about this. This is what I got:

G5 and X7 are based on the same headphone virtualization technology, which is based on a HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) generated from representative "Ear" samples. The difference in resulting virtual effects can be attributed to actual coding of these filters into different hardware platforms. The G5 platform shares similar platform to E5, whereas X7 is from a different audio architecture. Implementation of complex filters like the HRTFs involves approximation which are necessary to achieve real world implementation. It is a challenging design process, especially when done on a compact audio system like G5.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #513 of 645
Well, it definitely has less than half the amp power of the G5, they both are USB powered so transportable not portable, I usually like AKM DACs like the one in the Fulla 2, the G5 comes with configuration and EQ software that works independently of any music player or app/game, and aesthetic differences. Schiit gear (especially their amps) generally is tuned for a neutral or cold house sound.

I think the Fulla 2 will sell fast, but then people will realise it lacks power for full size headphones.

Configuration and EQ software is independent of music player and software but the entire device is OS dependent and Creative makes really ****ty drivers (hello X7)

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #515 of 645
Configuration and EQ software is independent of music player and software but the entire device is OS dependent and Creative makes really ****ty drivers (hello X7)

My X7 drivers for Windows got kinda slow to start up, but then again everything in windows lags up over time unless I did a fresh reinstall as new. Meanwhile, I usually get a smooth response from the iOS app for the X7 or E5, and I've pretty much figured out where I like it so I just switch on or off SBX. Creative has a few bugs here and there, but there are a lot of faults due to Windows too.

(I need to get my Mac working again, lol!!)

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #516 of 645
  Alright, I just picked up this thing 30 minutes ago and my jaw is still sore from hitting the floor.

I've never had a dac\amp before, always plugged straight into phones\computers.

Hooked it up to my PC and wow, the music that this thing puts into my Fidelio X2s is absolutely stunning. Never heard anything like it. Just wow!
I havent tried gaming yet, but damn Ive been missing out all these years.

I had the same reaction. I bought this for an experiment after seeing it on sale at Best Buy. Hooked it up between my TV and my Marantz. Jaw was on the floor for about 3 hours while I watched action cartoons, just because the sound was so stunningly upgraded in all areas - definition, space, depth, clarity, and punch. I use the headphone out since I don't believe my amp has optical in. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #517 of 645
  Yethal:

I have no issue with X7 or E5 drivers.

My X7 randomly switches between headphones and speakers on its own. It fails to detects that headphones were plugged in, sometimes the volume rises up on its own, Crystal Voice settings get reset nad the device fails to recognize my phone (connected via USB). These are minor annoyances but they pile up.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #519 of 645
Is this thing worth $80+shipping? Active on Massdrop right now.

I have Senn 598s and it will 50/50 between music and games. Also looking at SMLS M6 and 793, E10K looks nice but I need optical for PS4.

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #520 of 645
Is this thing worth $80+shipping? Active on Massdrop right now.

I have Senn 598s and it will 50/50 between music and games. Also looking at SMLS M6 and 793, E10K looks nice but I need optical for PS4.

If you're really interested in it I'd sell u mine for 70 shipped to your door. It's just sitting in the box as I have the creative X7 as well. It's in excellent shape and includes everything you'd get with a new one. Pm me if your interested. Can get you some pics as well. Can ship tomorrow ! :grinning::thumbsup:

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #521 of 645
I'm curious at the moment, the reports of broken virtual surround ruin the value prop compared to better AMP/DAC combo units. If the 7.1 -> headphone feature actually works similar to CMSS-3D which was awesome I would be very interested but all signs point to X7 or GSX-1000.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #523 of 645
  X7 is awesome.
However, I find every single virtual surround extremely horrible and I don't understand how can anyone use it.

Have you ever tried properly configuring virtual surround or did you just switch it on an off?

I only ever use virtual surround for gaming btw. Music should always be in stereo for me. For movies, I have yet to try it.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #524 of 645
  X7 is awesome.
However, I find every single virtual surround extremely horrible and I don't understand how can anyone use it.

Then you are in the wrong place if you don't want any virtual surround sound. Don't know what you mean by extremely horrible. It could be that you have never tried a real physical surround sound set up for gaming to actually understand what virtual surround sound works like. I think that is one of the reasons why people hate it or love virtual surround sound.

But yeah like jologskyblues said, for music, I wouldn't use virtual surround sound but for movies you can use it. I use it and it just sound much more immersive...I don't expect positional cues to come out in movies though.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #525 of 645
Of course I would not use surround for music. In that case, that would be really horrible.

However, I still do not like it in games, I tried in Battlefield 1. Not sure what you mean by "properly set up" since there is no manual how to properly set it up, but I tried to have it on stereo and then just switch it on. Nope, dislike, obviously.
Then I tried to set speakers in Windows to 5.1 (or 7.1, don't exactly remember now) and in Battlefield 1, have set it up to 5.1 in the game settings too. Still nope. Hollow, metallic, castrated sound with weird positioning (too airy?) and bass disappeared. I tried with speakers and with headphones, speakers being total crap, while headphones were a bit less crap, but still bad.
But I guess you are not supposed to use virtual surround with 2.0 speakers, only with stereo headphones, is that right?

Bonus question: is there ANY reason to use Dolby Digital or DTS with stereo speakers? I have PS4 and X7 with mentioned capabilities, but got only 2.0 speakers, so wanna know if there is any advantage to switch decoding to Dolby Digital/DTS, or not in my case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back