Creative Aurvana Live! Recable with Boom Mic?
Jun 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

madscientsit24

New Head-Fier
I just ordered some Creative Aurvana Live! and they should get to me in about two or three days. EDIT: I have them in my possessions already. I'm already thinking about messing around with them. These are my first headphones by the way... I'll give them a bit of test run when I get them. But after a week or so, I plan to modify them. I'm mostly interested in recabling the CAL! with detachable cables and including a detachable microphone boom. Now, I've never recabled any headphones before so this is a pretty daunting task...

I'm assuming this type of job requires the following:

1) Creating holes on the bottom of the left and right ear cases where 3.5 mm jacks would be installed for the detachable Y cable.

2) Creating another hole on the bottom of the left ear case where another 3.5 mm jack would be installed for the detachable microphone boom.

3) Rewire the wires to connect to the three 3.5 mm jacks, solder where necessary.

4) Obtain a good cable (about 3-4 ft), remove the sleeve, and split it somewhere between 6"-12" to get a Y cable. Three wires on the left: left contact, microphone contact, and left ground. Two wires on the right: right contact and right ground.

5) Obtain a good sleeve (with little microphonic effect) and put it over the 5-wire section. Use the same (or smaller diameter, depends) sleeve material and put it over the left split and the right split. Use electric tape (or Techflex) to beef up diameter for all three lines of the Y section. Wrap heat shrink over the tape for both split lines (and heat it). Wrap heat shrink over the single main line while also partly covering the split lines heat shrink sleeve (and heat it).

6) Connect and solder the left contact wire, the left microphone wire, and the left ground wire onto a 3.5 mm plug. This will be the left headset plug.

7) Connect and solder the right contact wire and the right ground wire onto a 3.5 mm plug. This will be the right headset plug.

8) At the end of the 5-wire section, split the left ground wire into two.

9) Connect and solder the left contact wire, the right contact wire, one of the left ground wires, and the right ground wire onto a 3.5 mm plug (join the left and right ground wires into a single ground wire so that there are only three wires total). This will be the stereo plug.

10) Connect and solder the left microphone wire and the remaining left ground wire onto a 3.5 mm plug. This will be the microphone plug.

11) Plug in the left and right headset plugs into the CAL!, as well as the microphone boom. Plug in the stereo and mic plugs into a PC.

12) Listen to awesome custom modded headphones, smile big at your success and feel the satisfaction!

Ok, I've never done this before, so I'm assuming it goes something like that. For one, I don't know how to do step 3. Furthermore, all of the cable steps (steps 4-10) depend on me having correctly integrated the microphone wires into a Y-cable setup, which I'm not sure I did… I'm thinking it'll be something like this:

Is that right? Is it ok to split the left ground wire so that both the stereo and the microphone plug are connected to it?

Also, any suggestions on what cables, plugs, jacks, sleeves, and mic boom to use? I’ve heard a couple of companies thrown around here and there, but I’d like to see some good suggestions.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 6
Got my headphones earlier today. First thing I did, play some great rock music, then Battlefield Bad Company 2. Awesome. Just awesome. Need some more time to give my thoughts on it though... I'm happy though.

But seriously, I still plan to modify my headphones, so.... any suggestions please?!?!?!

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 6
Didn't know someone had responded, sorry about the late reply.

Looks like a made a mistake in the labeling.

Here's the image updated so that its clearer. It shows all the pieces in the puzzle.

The ground joins at the Y-Joint and splits again for each plug at the bottom. That way, both microphone and stereo plugs are grounded. Left contact and the microphone line both share ground for the left plug. Am I correct in assuming so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back