Creative Aurvana Live! or Audio Technica ATH-M50: Which of the two should I get?
Mar 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:
Get the S500+ATH pleather pads instead...

I was king of hopping to choose between the m50's or the cal's but those are good?

By the way i also had the HD668b's by Superlux in mind but many people told me that altough they were nvery bright and clear they and to harsh treble and that they are nor very good for dance music, especially uplifting trance.... Any thoughts against this statement? :)

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #17 of 41
S500 is more enjoyable than the M50 to my ears.
I haven't try the CAL yet. But I heard people prefer the S500 over CAL. except comfort

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #18 of 41
Ok seeky, thank you for your sugestion. I will keep those JVC's as an option. Actually i cant even tell wich ones i like the most because i never tried none, that's why i am asking some opinions about these two models here, because from what i saw around this forum the m50's and the CAL! are definitly the most recomended headphones for someone who's on a budget and wnats something with good audio quality without spending wages.

But now returning to the main point,.. if someone could help choose one between these two for my needs i would be very apreciated.
All sugestions and advices for my needs are all welcome too of course... :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #20 of 41
what sound signature u looking for?
M50 is the most balanced one out of these three.
S500 is really similar to CAL from what i read.
i will have a chance to listen to the CAL on this Saturday,hopefully.
and i will tell u my idea after that.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #21 of 41
Actually that's a kind of concept that i never really understood... XD
Sorry for my ignorance but what is exactly a warm signature for example?
I know one thing for sure, i dont like muffled sound, for example my K518's are very muffled and are not very bright.
I think the best example i can give for my taste for sound is that between the sennheiser hd202's or the 203's i prefer much more the 203 because they have a lot more highs and bright sound while the 202 for me have a very dark and a little bit muffled sound, kind of like my k518's.

I know its not a great help but i hope its usefull... XD

Please tell me something about the Cal's as soon as you can... But really cool would be if someone have tried the m50's and the cal! and that exact someone liked the same type os found as me to tell me wich one is more suitable... XD

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #23 of 41
M50's are balanced, slightly bright and a little bit of a bass emphasis.
CAL are almost the same but maybe less refined in general.

The Superlux HD 681 MKII just came out recently so I would wait for reviews on them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD681-EVO-MKII-SUPERLUX-White-Monitor-Headphones-Amazing-NEW-Design-Semi-Open-/181096972187?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item2a2a387f9b

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:
S500 is more enjoyable than the M50 to my ears.
I haven't try the CAL yet. But I heard people prefer the S500 over CAL. except comfort

Same here,  i sold my M50. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #26 of 41
Thank you for your reply Supertoaster...

I know that the m50's are much more better built than the CAL!'s, but what really matters here is the sound...
So soundwise are they are very different? Do you think that soundwise it is worth to pay double the price of the Aurvana's for the m50's?

But the sound on the CAL's is more towards the warm side or the bright side gilly? I just wanted to get something a bit more higher on the treble for the pianos, violins, synths, etc wich is the opposite to m current K518. As i said the CAL's have always been my first choice because of the price and all the praise they get, but i also saw some peole sayng that is a bit leaned towards the bass side and having the treble rolled off and i did not want this very much... :frowning2: I wnat a good, strong and precise bass of course since i really need it, but in my case and for my likings i do also need the highs to shine and a sound that is a little bright.

Thats's why putted the m50's on the equation, not for the construction, not for the price, but for the hype that they get from their precise and accurate bass but most of all because people say they have awesome highs. But i never really tried both so that's why i am asking for your help. :)

I did not wanted to go the Superlux way, beacause i had already thought of getting the hd668b's but many people told that this were not for tance at all because the treble in them is just too much.

Thank you.... 

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #27 of 41
Anyone else please...? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #28 of 41
Jvc 500 are much better than the M50 for trance.
IMO having both of them.

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #29 of 41
CAL is on the warmer side; M50 definitely has more prominent treble overall.
Quote:
Thank you for your reply Supertoaster...

I know that the m50's are much more better built than the CAL!'s, but what really matters here is the sound...
So soundwise are they are very different? Do you think that soundwise it is worth to pay double the price of the Aurvana's for the m50's?

But the sound on the CAL's is more towards the warm side or the bright side gilly? I just wanted to get something a bit more higher on the treble for the pianos, violins, synths, etc wich is the opposite to m current K518. As i said the CAL's have always been my first choice because of the price and all the praise they get, but i also saw some peole sayng that is a bit leaned towards the bass side and having the treble rolled off and i did not want this very much... :frowning2: I wnat a good, strong and precise bass of course since i really need it, but in my case and for my likings i do also need the highs to shine and a sound that is a little bright.

Thats's why putted the m50's on the equation, not for the construction, not for the price, but for the hype that they get from their precise and accurate bass but most of all because people say they have awesome highs. But i never really tried both so that's why i am asking for your help. :)

I did not wanted to go the Superlux way, beacause i had already thought of getting the hd668b's but many people told that this were not for tance at all because the treble in them is just too much.

Thank you.... 

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #30 of 41
After trying both the Koss DJ100 and DJ100 TBSE, I can say that I have a strong preference for open vs. closed headphones.

I recommend the Koss PortaPro. Very good sound overall at a fraction of the price of the models you listed. Open designs generally sound better, but you might foster some ill will in particularly quiet settings such as a library.

The Koss Portapro's have incredible impact, lots of bass, and sound very good in the midrange and high frequencies. They have a slightly darker sound signature but are very engaging overall. I am very pleased with my portapros, esp. after burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back