Creating examples of "Loudness Wars" effect
Jun 24, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #288 of 354
[1[ My crusade is not "against engineers". [1a] My real crusade is against those far less accessible: artists, their producers, and label execs. Those three entities drive density/'loudness' more than anyone else.
[2] What I have against engineers is their touting things like, a "DDD CD sounds better than AAD" or ADD. Marketing statements.
[2a] With that cleared up, I'd like to hear more about how a mix is made 'compression-friendly' for the mastering stage to come.

1. Then why insult them?
1a. Your crusade is against the wrong people then, because the people who drive density/loudness more than anyone else is consumers.

2. And what I have against you, is the lies you make-up about what engineers are "touting"!! So, that's "that cleared up".
2a. Indeed, "with that cleared up", it couldn't be more OBVIOUS that you do NOT want to know the actual facts!

G

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #289 of 354
It's so unfortunate it's come to this, he could tell SonicTruth so much if only he'd listen properly. :frowning2:

What is "listening properly" according to you? Apparently it's: Ignoring what has been stated, the facts and the evidence and then just continuing a "crusade" against the wrong people. How's that "listening properly"? It's the exact opposite of "listening properly"!

You're right, I could "tell sonictruth so much" and I have in the recent past but why waste my time if it's ALL going to be either ignored or lied about anyway?

G

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #290 of 354
1. Then why insult them?
1a. Your crusade is against the wrong people then, because the people who drive density/loudness more than anyone else is consumers.

2. And what I have against you, is the lies you make-up about what engineers are "touting"!! So, that's "that cleared up".
2a. Indeed, "with that cleared up", it couldn't be more OBVIOUS that you do NOT want to know the actual facts!

G

1a. Well then I must be a pretty F-d up 'consumer', because I'm not demanding albums be made louder.

2. It's just how I perceived what you and other engineers said on here.

2a. I'm waiting for the facts, on the topic I brought up several posts back, about how modern mixes are made compression-friendly.

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #291 of 354
1a. Well then I must be a pretty F-d up 'consumer' ...
2a. I'm waiting for the facts, on the topic I brought up several posts back, about how modern mixes are made compression-friendly.

1a. Yep, agreed!! Out of date and in a tiny minority.

2. Again, I agree but then that's a problem with "how YOU perceived". Why insult me and lie about what I've said because of YOUR problem?
2a. Again, yep, you've said that before about other related facts (on more than one occasion), then just ignored (or misrepresented) those facts and carried on with the same made-up facts that you assumed/believed to start with. So why follow the same path yet again? Why don't you just make-up some "facts" which fit your agenda and avoid wasting my time and your own with the actual facts?

G

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #292 of 354
@gregorio you're not forced to push on this dialog if you realize it's a waste of your time. but answering to say that it's not worth answering is getting us nowhere.

1a. Well then I must be a pretty F-d up 'consumer', because I'm not demanding albums be made louder.

1a. you're 1 consumer, want to play a game of all the stuff done by entire countries, that we disagree about? that's life. even more so when we're talking about subjective taste here.

2. are you sure sound engineers were the ones to say that? and that they did write what you understood? I know it seems silly, but if we've come this far based only on misinterpretations and misconceptions, now is as good a time as any to make sure.
you've had, to put it nicely, some pretty serious communication issues. if you were a politician, I'd tell you to fire your campaign manager right now, then go kidnap him and cut off his tong so that he can never mess up like he did ever again. that would be the humane thing to do ^_^.
it's super clear that your actual message is "I hate the loudness war". so why do you need to venture left and right into territories you clearly aren't all that familiar with? it started with the DR plugin, and went pretty much everywhere vaguely related to dynamic then compression because after pages you did end up accepting that dynamic wasn't the proper approach. but then for so many pages, people explains how compression is used for everything and vastly different ways and that most uses are indeed making the sound more enjoyable, coherent, cleaner, with the intended sound, or simply more practical. for a time sound engineers were responsible and that's when the DR really hit the fan. understandably IMO. so now we have moved on closer to the actual target and we're mainly discussing the idea of perceived loudness. we're as close as we've ever been.
but do you realize all the mess we went through just because you weren't happy saying "I hate the loudness war!"?

say that the loudness war pisses you off. TBH if you had stuck to that from the start, I and most people would have sided with you.

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #293 of 354
@gregorio you're not forced to push on this dialog if you realize it's a waste of your time. but answering to say that it's not worth answering is getting us nowhere.

1a. you're 1 consumer, want to play a game of all the stuff done by entire countries, that we disagree about? that's life. even more so when we're talking about subjective taste here.

2. are you sure sound engineers were the ones to say that? and that they did write what you understood? I know it seems silly, but if we've come this far based only on misinterpretations and misconceptions, now is as good a time as any to make sure.
you've had, to put it nicely, some pretty serious communication issues. if you were a politician, I'd tell you to fire your campaign manager right now, then go kidnap him and cut off his tong so that he can never mess up like he did ever again. that would be the humane thing to do ^_^.
it's super clear that your actual message is "I hate the loudness war". so why do you need to venture left and right into territories you clearly aren't all that familiar with? it started with the DR plugin, and went pretty much everywhere vaguely related to dynamic then compression because after pages you did end up accepting that dynamic wasn't the proper approach. but then for so many pages, people explains how compression is used for everything and vastly different ways and that most uses are indeed making the sound more enjoyable, coherent, cleaner, with the intended sound, or simply more practical. for a time sound engineers were responsible and that's when the DR really hit the fan. understandably IMO. so now we have moved on closer to the actual target and we're mainly discussing the idea of perceived loudness. we're as close as we've ever been.
but do you realize all the mess we went through just because you weren't happy saying "I hate the loudness war!"?

say that the loudness war pisses you off. TBH if you had stuck to that from the start, I and most people would have sided with you.

1. Gregorio said I must be a messed up consumer because I don't demand loudified albums. And just how am I "playing a game" of that?

I googled "music buyers demand music and albums be mastered louder" and came up with nothing. So all I would ask for is proof that consumers did so.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #294 of 354
1. Gregorio said I must be a messed up consumer because I don't demand loudified albums. And just how am I "playing a game" of that?

I googled "music buyers demand music and albums be mastered louder" and came up with nothing. So all I would ask for is proof that consumers did so.

I recall Gregorio posting (I’m paraphrasing) that most consumers preferred louder albums and that put you in the minority. That’s entirely different than calling you “messed up”. It would be great if you could dial down the drama and stick to actual quotes rather than manufacturing them.

There have been numerous posts discussing why the Loudness War happened. Putting a fairly long string in quotes and stating nothing was returned is disingenuous at best. Unless your Google works differently than mine, thousands of links are returned when that search is executed on that search without quotes, even when the search terms are quoted.

I found this link interesting when searching for a more detailed history of the loudness war and theories as to why it happened. Worth the read, as are many of the supporting documents the author references.
https://www.duo.uio.no/bitstream/handle/10852/59847/Devine-LoudnessWars.pdf?sequence=4&isAllowed=y

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #295 of 354
He's right. You are the exception by a huge margin. Making statements that express or imply that your opinion somehow represents a larger group than one is just a game.
The proof is, they're buying them, and not returning them and streaming them without objection. Their iPods are loaded with loud music. Second, if a consumer had 3 recordings, and two sounded about the same in loudness, but one was much quieter, which one would the typical consumer think is wrong? Quieter never wins in a comparison, been known for half a century to be true. That translates into "louder is better", and that's what consumers buy. It's not a difficult concept, but you must start out with a viewpoint other than "My opinion is right and typical" to understand it. It's also part of why this can't be fixed.

And "loudified"...ha ha ha! You made up a funny! I think I'll name my next loudness processor the "Loudifier"! And have a knob that indicates Loudification. You should be in marketing!

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #296 of 354
He's right. You are the exception by a huge margin. Making statements that express or imply that your opinion somehow represents a larger group than one is just a game.

The proof is, they're buying them, and not returning them and streaming them without objection. Their iPods are loaded with loud music. Second, if a consumer had 3 recordings, and two sounded about the same in loudness, but one was much quieter, which one would the typical consumer think is wrong? Quieter never wins in a comparison, been known for half a century to be true. That translates into "louder is better", and that's what consumers buy. It's not a difficult concept, but you must start out with a viewpoint other than "My opinion is right and typical" to understand it. It's also part of why this can't be fixed.

And "loudified"...ha ha ha! You made up a funny! I think I'll name my next loudness processor the "Loudifier"! And have a knob that indicates Loudification. You should be in marketing!

The Loudifier Knob needs to go to 11.

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #297 of 354

When I download music purchased on Amazon, I usually choose the quietest version if two or more are available of that 'must-have' hard to find song. By the way I was the one referring humorously to myself as the f-d up consumer who doesn't buy the loudened up so-called remasters of pop songs.

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #299 of 354

Oh. bull. crap. Google "loudness war". I just found metal guys that are pissed about it.

What can I do about it?

Evangelize dynamics! Tell your favorite artists and labels (politely) that you value dynamics and are tired of listening to heavily compressed masters. Talk to headbangers at shows, in the mosh pit, wherever, about the value of dynamics in metal.

http://www.metal-fi.com/about-page/dynamic-range/

Like gregorio, you live in a dream world where insulting and diminishing other people somehow means you're right. It's laughable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back